“I rarely see a "Great" Hotel, this is one! All in the details!”

The Elms Hotel and Spa
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I went to the Elms for a wedding and was staying the night. Asked for early check-in, and was actually given it. Something I rearely get at a hotel, without a whole lot of heartache and hemming and hawing. Check in was exceptionally smooth, and the staff is cheery and polite almost to a fault. It is almost as if the bell-staff, Desk People, and maid staff, are all channeling the high-class, consideration, respect and courtesy of the last hundred and thirty-odd years the place has been there. Don't think you are dreaming that the staff are ACTUALLY nice people, hard to find anywhere nowadays, much less at a hotel, the young man opening the front door to a lovely, polite, and demur young lady who gave me directions, all helpful, nice, craziness to a jaded and calloused traveller! It was all in the details of the place, things I used to notice and have to do as a bellhop ages ago that have long gone the way of the DoDo.
The room I had was small, but nonetheless extremely well laid out and sparkling clean. Modern amenities, Keurig coffee makers, flat screen alarm clocks, flatscreen tv's, and some of the most comfortable bedding I have ever slept on, all well melded into the charm and antique setting of the hotel. The bathroom was extremely well appointed, marble and glass, and clean enough to eat off of.
I went outside after I dropped off my luggage and sat down on one of the porches facing the back of the property, next to the beautiful pool and hot tub. Sitting on an exteremly comfortable rocking chair, I sipped on a drink brought by an extrememly attentive concierge, please see the photo. If it wasn't for the wedding I was going to, I probably would have sat there and enjoyed the weather and the very well made drinks provided.
The wedding went off extremely well, the staff was very attentive to the needs of the family. The wedding itself was in the groves of elms outdoors on the gazebo, beatiful and charming. The only issue I had was the biker bar about 1/4 mile away could be heard in the background. Post wedding was a reception with Hors d'oeuvres outside waiting for the bride and groom. Very well done, the staff easily handling the raucous crowd wanting drinks and food. Never getting frustated, the staff was all smiles. Hors d'oeuvres were too few and far between, however the booze flowed high and wide.
The wedding reception was set up inside, impeccably done, clean neat and beautiful. The food was INCREDIBLE. Some of the best I have eaten at a wedding. Causing many to pile the plates high, because as you went through the buffet, you needed to try everything, the next thing more alluring as the last. The staff made the wedding enjoyable, none wanting for anything and leaving us able to focus on the family. Professional and polite.
After having to leave the reception, the room was inviting, and because it was so, we overslept! The bed was incredibly comfortable.
The next morning, got up, checked out and hit the Cafe. Cappuccino was not mass produced chain type coffee, but from a well trained Barrista, please see photo. Sunday brunch, top notch.
There was mot much I could say about the place that doesn't seem like I got a kickback to write this review, but I assure you I did not! It was all of the details, the impeccable lobby, comfortable rooms, polite staff, decorations in the Cappucino foam, as we say in New York, Fuggaddaboutit!

Room Tip: Ask if there is a wedding, and ask to stay as far away from the reception areas as possible.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jerryp182
Write a ReviewReviews (1,011)

Reviewed September 15, 2013

My Favorite getaway in the Kansas City area, my Mom and I come here at least twice a year for some rest and relaxation as our girls getaway. The Elms has done a great job of keeping the hotel up to date with a recent renovation to the guest rooms as well as the Spa but has still maintained the historical integrity of this local gem. Famous guest have included Al Capone and Harry Truman. Be sure to explore the entire property including the library tavern, the beautiful grounds, pools, as well as the spa.
The two things that keep us coming back year after year are the Spa and the Staff. The Spa is state of the art and a true sanctuary with a grotto area with a steam room and plunge pools, as well as services that cover all aspects of bodywork and relaxation, including the Vichy shower. My favorite treatment is the Sea Salt Scrub, which is divine. Secondly the staff here are top notch and go above and beyond to make sure your experience is the best possible. We look forward to going back and seeing the staff because we always feel so welcomed.
The resort offers rooms in the moderate to higher price ranges but is perfectly in line with the amenities offered. If you are able I would strongly recommend a weekend stay on the concierge floor for an extra pampering experience. Be sure to check into some of their seasonal happenings as well such as movies on the lawn in the summer and ghost tours in the fall to name just a few! I would recommend this for all travelers but especially if you are looking for a girl’s getaway or a couples retreat this is the place for you!

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Elms on a Saturday night. I had called ahead to see if wedding was scheduled that evening and was told there was not one that night. But indeed there was.

We asked to have our room changed as was on the second floor right over the ballroom and next to the elevator. It was a bit loud but didn't last all night.

The manager did greet us and offered to make everything right for us. Very nice but how can you complain about a wedding.

Not too impressed with the 88 Restaurant. We did the Brunch.

Spa was out of this world!

Would I stay again? If so, it would not be on the weekend and I would be specific about my room.

Room Tip: Ask not to have a room by elevator or on the second floor.
Reviewed September 8, 2013

One great evening away! Everything about The Elms was superb. Close to KC, Omaha, Des Moines.... yet you feel like you are a million miles away. Character, old world charm combined with a fresh feeling. The staff were wonderful and even treated us to an unexpected upgrade.....from a regular room to a suite that had a bathroom as large as some hotel rooms! The king bed seemed larger than any other king I've been in and so comfortable. Aveda soaps and shampoo. Large, wall mounted flat screen, Kuerig coffee maker, beautiful furnishings. The outdoor pool was lovely and again, staff very friendly. Pool food and beverage very reasonable. The indoor hot tub and lap pool was unique and hidden away. Loved it. The restaurant and bar are beautiful and menu was excellent. A little pricey but why not? No local competition for upscale dining, I can assure you. We did go to a little bar and restaurant around the corner called Wabash which was just as friendly and fun as The Elms staff. The only thing that I would say needs to be refreshed at this hotel would be the postage sized elevator. Fortunately, our room was only on the 3rd floor and the staircase leading up was not like a fire escape, but rather a carpeted, open, wood railing staircase. The spa looked fantastic and saw folks in the area walking around with their spa bathrobes on. Next visit I'll be in a bathrobe. .

Room Tip: Low floor if you dont care for small slow elevators
Reviewed September 6, 2013

This hotel has everything. Character, history, semi-remote location without being too far from a major city (KC), wonderful restaurant, amazing spa, friendly service and beautiful rooms. I stayed here for my birthday this year and it exceeded all my expectations. The hotel is absolutely beautiful and I love the history behind it. Our room was nicely updated, the bed was very comfortable, the staff could not have been nicer and both the restaurant and cafe were great. We had a great couples massage and enjoyed one of the largest spas in the midwest there complete with hot tub, steam shower, sauna and relaxation aromatherapy. The pools and hot tubs are open late, until midnight, which allows you to enjoy them after dinner which is unusual for a hotel. We went during the week and almost had the hotel to ourselves. The underground lap pool was peaceful and relaxing. I understand weekends are much busier with weddings but our time there was just perfect. The grounds are also wonderful for a relaxing stroll!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RoadWarriorGirl75
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is a very nice hotel. Full of old world charm and lots of history. We had a problem with the on site resturant. They only have about 6 things on the menu and were out of 4 of them by 7:30. They did give us free breakfast the next morning.

Room Tip: Rooms are small and ask if your room has a view.
1  Thank Michael W
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This hotel is absolutely beautiful and the history is even better. We had a fabulous meal in the hotel's restaurant. The staff was friendly and accomodating. They even had a violinist at the restaurant and she was fantastic! The town is really run down, but this hotel is a gem.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sleep Inn & Suites and Indoor Water Park
24 mi away
Embassy Suites by Hilton Kansas City-International Airport
Argosy Casino Hotel & Spa Kansas City

Been to The Elms Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!