I went to the Elms for a wedding and was staying the night. Asked for early check-in, and was actually given it. Something I rearely get at a hotel, without a whole lot of heartache and hemming and hawing. Check in was exceptionally smooth, and the staff is cheery and polite almost to a fault. It is almost as if the bell-staff, Desk People, and maid staff, are all channeling the high-class, consideration, respect and courtesy of the last hundred and thirty-odd years the place has been there. Don't think you are dreaming that the staff are ACTUALLY nice people, hard to find anywhere nowadays, much less at a hotel, the young man opening the front door to a lovely, polite, and demur young lady who gave me directions, all helpful, nice, craziness to a jaded and calloused traveller! It was all in the details of the place, things I used to notice and have to do as a bellhop ages ago that have long gone the way of the DoDo.
The room I had was small, but nonetheless extremely well laid out and sparkling clean. Modern amenities, Keurig coffee makers, flat screen alarm clocks, flatscreen tv's, and some of the most comfortable bedding I have ever slept on, all well melded into the charm and antique setting of the hotel. The bathroom was extremely well appointed, marble and glass, and clean enough to eat off of.
I went outside after I dropped off my luggage and sat down on one of the porches facing the back of the property, next to the beautiful pool and hot tub. Sitting on an exteremly comfortable rocking chair, I sipped on a drink brought by an extrememly attentive concierge, please see the photo. If it wasn't for the wedding I was going to, I probably would have sat there and enjoyed the weather and the very well made drinks provided.
The wedding went off extremely well, the staff was very attentive to the needs of the family. The wedding itself was in the groves of elms outdoors on the gazebo, beatiful and charming. The only issue I had was the biker bar about 1/4 mile away could be heard in the background. Post wedding was a reception with Hors d'oeuvres outside waiting for the bride and groom. Very well done, the staff easily handling the raucous crowd wanting drinks and food. Never getting frustated, the staff was all smiles. Hors d'oeuvres were too few and far between, however the booze flowed high and wide.
The wedding reception was set up inside, impeccably done, clean neat and beautiful. The food was INCREDIBLE. Some of the best I have eaten at a wedding. Causing many to pile the plates high, because as you went through the buffet, you needed to try everything, the next thing more alluring as the last. The staff made the wedding enjoyable, none wanting for anything and leaving us able to focus on the family. Professional and polite.
After having to leave the reception, the room was inviting, and because it was so, we overslept! The bed was incredibly comfortable.
The next morning, got up, checked out and hit the Cafe. Cappuccino was not mass produced chain type coffee, but from a well trained Barrista, please see photo. Sunday brunch, top notch.
There was mot much I could say about the place that doesn't seem like I got a kickback to write this review, but I assure you I did not! It was all of the details, the impeccable lobby, comfortable rooms, polite staff, decorations in the Cappucino foam, as we say in New York, Fuggaddaboutit!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An iconic destination for than more 125 years, The Elms Hotel & Spa is renowned for its beautifully appointed Excelsior Springs accommodations, lavish amenities, lovely grounds and standard-setting service. Throughout its storied history, The Elms has been frequented by celebrities, politicians, and notorious persons alike, earning international fame and establishing itself as an integral part of Excelsior Springs history. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your The Elms Hotel and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Elms Hotel Excelsior Springs
- Elms Hotel Excelsior Springs
- Elm Resort