The Elms Hotel and Spa
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$75
$147
$133
Hotels.com
1,034 results
All reviewsghost tourindoor lap poolhot tubgrotto areaal caponesteam saunaparlor suitememory foamquiet roomkansas cityrelaxing weekendfifth floorgirls weekendwedding partywabash bbqexfoliationpeppermint
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The Elms was built in 1888 and has served thousands of guests including Al Capone. The flood of 1993 ruined the mineral water baths, however, the Spa at The Elms is incredible. My wife and I spent 4 hours combined in The Grotto, massage, and seaweed wrap with Vichy shower. We have had many treatments over the years in a lot of fun places, however, this one was unique and wonderful.

The hotel rooms are smaller than 20th and 21st century hotels but they are nice. The property is well groomed and has great landscaping. A little walking path is fun with at least two fire pits.

It is rumored that some of the guests do not leave...yes, ghosts. I believe the 5th floor is notorious for sightings.

Great BBQ is just across the road at Wabash which is my all-time favorite. Try the burnt ends.

For breakfast at The Elms, I highly recommend the poached eggs and asparagus. The café serves coffee and lattes until 1AM on Saturday night.

The bar on the first floor and tavern on the second floor are top notch also!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Randall L
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I spent the weekend at the Elms with my husband as a last minute getaway in July. This was my second visit to the property - but I hadn't been since it had been renovated. The difference was amazing! The rooms were updated and comfortable, and the renovation of the spa is absolutely spectacular. We enjoyed the grounds as well as eating dinner at the Wabash BBQ within walking distance of the property. Even though I booked last minute they still managed to squeeze me in for a massage - which was heavenly. Heads up that as the Elms is an older hotel, the A/C is quite loud in the rooms. Overall, it is a wonderful midwest destination and I am sure I will be back.

1  Thank lraeb
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed 1 night for the Missouri Wine Festival. We had received an e-mail advertisement touting their Festival packages. The package included "dinner for two ($75 value)". I read this to mean that we would get $75 off of our dinner while staying at the Hotel. The way the front-office interpreted it was that we were to receive $70 off our dinner, and they considered this as a $75 value. Since it was only 5 bucks, I wasn't going to argue --- but, thought this was very strange!

We also had an issue at dinner when a large, rowdy group was seated right next to us in the restaurant. We finally had to ask to be reseated as we were finishing our main course. The noise, and language were just not what we were expecting during a quiet, romantic dinner. I would have thought the restaurant staff would have been more sensitive to seating a large younger group right next to an older couple.

The previous month we had our oldest daughter's wedding at the Elms. Again, it was a wonderful venue, but the room reservations and the final accounting was extremely problematic.

Hopefully, they will overcome these "technical" challenges, because it truly is a special venue!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Excellent hotel and the spa is amazing. Great weekend or mid week get away form Kansas City or St. Louis. Get there early and schedule a massage and enjoy the grotto. Also venture out to the town of Excelsior Springs. Real neat town with amazing history.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

They did a very nice job renovating this hotel. The pool areas both inside and outside are very nice and they have a really nice exercise room. The rooms are nice but not spectacular. Food prices were high and nothing was complimentary. I would recommend it though.