“Restaurant service below espectations.”

The Elms Hotel and Spa
Reviewed July 6, 2013

A small group visited Excelsior Springs tonight and ate at Eighty Eight at the Elms. The building is very nice. The menu was good. Unfortunately, our waitress messed up our order. She was slow in bringing drinks/food. She messed up the bill, and then claimed that a credit card was denied (after asking twice she finally ran again and it went through). We asked for the manager and he just stood by and watched. Overall, this was not the service I expected of a restaurant at a well-known spa and was very disappointing. We also stopped the night before for a drink and found the bartender, Jarrett, to be charming and entertaining and knowledgeable in his craft. I would return to the bar- just not for a meal.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank reynsc

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Excellent! My girlfriend and I decided to go on a relaxing weekend trip to the Elms as it is close to Kansas City (where we live). Frankly, it was one of the most relaxing experiences we have had: GREAT food, drinks, the Grotto was fantastic (we went twice), and received an excellent body massage and pedicure. All within a reasonable price (We spent roughly $300 in total, including king size bed hotel room). If you're looking to get away for the weekend in a relaxed setting, this is your place. I've heard people complain about this hotel/spa in the past, but surely it was an issue with the "before renovations" Elms. The current one hits it out of the park...

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Had a great stay. The bar/restaurant was welcoming, the beds were great and the internet was fast. The location is a bit far from Kansas City, but it lends itself to being a great destination stay. I definitely plan to stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I want to start by saying everyone is very nice and respectful, this is the 'service' part that I gave a Very Good for. The rest of the stay I could have had better in a Holiday Inn Express.

This place caters to weddings. If they have a wedding going on, which Im sure they book them every weekend being two happened the same day at this place, you can forget about them giving two terds about you and your stay.

Food, don't bother if you are hungry. Tiny little portions and they serve it up like they are a 5 star establishment.... guess what, it wasn't that good. I had tiny tacos and my wife had a HUGE plate... with this little spot in the center of the plate that had some food in it. We both left hungry so we went to the Cafe they have. We got a muffin and a cinnamon roll. I expected bakery type freshness... it was not, the roll may have been a day old.

Let me just list the rest of the crap. No place to park. Literally, I had to park out in the street as the Valet said, "Sorry, I would just park over on the side street." The "Hot Tub", not hot at all. The one outside was, but the one beside the lap pool inside felt like used warm bath water, and no jets... hardly a hot tub.

Worst part, I forgot my overnight toiletries bag in the bathroom. I never forget things, but was in a rush to leave this sad example of a hotel. I called the next day and they have no record of a turn in. REALLY, a bag full of items including my glasses and no one turned anything in? So the room cleaners just threw it away.... nice... let me go back and rate the service again.... How's Poor grab ya?

If you aren't getting married here and dropping a HUGE dime, avoid this place like the plague!

I wanted to add a couple things that I consider normal for the amount of money we spent.
No fridge in our room, would have liked to have kept some cold beer in our room.
No vent/fan in the bathroom - god forbid I use the bathroom
Nothing in the room for local attractions or eating places... no phone book, no pen and paper... just nothing but a coffee maker.

2  Thank AbeStahr
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Let me start by saying we have wanted to stay here for years. After all the renovations we booked it. The staff is AMAZING!! Clayton and (I can't remember his name but he had gages in his ears) Were SOOO nice, friendly, helpful and alway always greeted us with a smile and a gesture! Check in was fast and we got to our room. It was great but the view was of the AC units on top of the hotel. We loved our first night. We spent a couple hours in rocking chairs looking at the pretty grounds behind the hotel. We ate dinner in the Tavern which was very quiet and the service Superb! The second day we spent at the pool then to the spa. I had reflexology which ended up being pressure point so not at all what I wanted. The grotto is nice but there was a group of women chatting and laughing loud and non-stop so not very relaxing. Evening was a joke. All of the grounds behind the hotel were marked off for 3 weddings. The lobby was beyond noisy and very crowded. Kids running and screaming, photo booths set up. It was like the other guests(like us) did not matter. The Tavern from the night before was now Blasting AC/DC and dirty tables all over. We did sit down but could not hear each other talk so we left and went to the main bar. Casey and Patrick made our night!! Very personable and service was excellent. There were only 2 tables eating in the main dinning room. It is VERY expensive so we stuck to the bar menu and food was very good. When we checked out the next day I mentioned how we were disappointed that we could not access the grounds, the noise ect from all the weddings and the gal told me "next time ask what is going on here before you book!" Seriously?? I guess the money from the weddings meant a lot more than my money. I would NOT go back on a weekend with 80 weddings a year. Also if you plan to use the spa book as far in advance as possible! It was fully booked weeks before we even went. I kept checking and we got in on a cancellation. The grotto is not worth 55.00 alone. Get a service done and you get it included. Also this is not a place for children. And the AC in the room is LOUD!

Room Tip: Ask for away from elevators and a room looking over the pool or garden. NOT the AC units.
3  Thank SEA S
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I love historic Excelsior Springs, the art-deco Hall of Water and Elms Hotel & Spa. After seeing the Elms in the 90s, I marvel at how it's been rehabilitated, while maintaining the historic feel. A Keurig in the room, thoughtful charging station and no-hassle wi-fi made us forgiving of a noisy air contitioner.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

The staff (all staff) was very friendly, professional and helpful. All our expectations were fulfilled. The hotel was absolutely beautiful. A wonderful barbeque restaurant was within walking distance. Small downtown shopping area but quant shops.

Room Tip: The beds were awesome! So very comfortable. 93 degrees out the two days we stayed and the air condi...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Excelsior Springs
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Kansas City
Harrah's North Kansas City
Harrah's North Kansas City
#1 of 4 in North Kansas City

Been to The Elms Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!