“Amazing renovations!!! Gorgeous Historic Hotel in new age 2013.”

The Elms Hotel and Spa
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

We returned to the Elms to celebrate our 11th wedding Anniversary. We actually stayed here on our honeymoon.
The renovations are breathtaking. The rooms are beautiful and up to date.
We had the one King bed regular room. (Groupon) To my surprise it was amazing! Big flat screen TV on the wall (even though we never turned it on), a KEURIG with coffee and teas, a Sony 'Dream Machine' iPod/iPhone alarm clock radio, plenty of wall outlets, a small desk with big oversized mirror. I could go on and on.
We knew to book the spa early. We each had the Signature Rose Petal Vichy Scrub. Highly recommended!! We had this same service 11 years ago, and it is still one-of-a-kind!!! The Grotto was phenomenal. The steam shower was an amazing experience! If you can get up enough nerve, you take the 'Cold Plunge' shower right after. We spent about an hour in the Grotto, and felt that was just enough time. It also had a HUGE rectangular hot tub, dry sauna, and steam sauna.
We wandered the hotel for a little bit. Just to see what changes have been made since we where here last. There was a wedding being set up for the next day in the gazebo. The outside pool is nicely sized and there is also a hot tub out there. The inside pool was gorgeous! But I have to admit, it's in an awkward location. And the chlorine was overbearing.
As we walked the halls we noticed that there's just something about this hotel. We didn't know if it was the history behind it and all the famous people who visited here, or just our sentimental value.
If you plan to come to the Elms, read about its history. Take in all the original woodwork and designs from when it was rebuilt in 1912.
Also, I must mention the restaurant. I felt that it was over priced, and not that big of a selection. If you want some local food, go to Wabash BBQ, literally a block away. It's amazing. And if you're lucky, they have a Live band on the weekends!

• Stayed: April 2013

Reviewed April 26, 2013

This classic hotel is an excellent get-away for girls or couples. I loved it's history and all the beautiful details. The staff was super friendly and the amenities were very nice. The food was also excellent and would love to go back for more spa treatments. I'll recommend this to all my friends.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 26, 2013

If you're looking for a romantic, relaxing place to stay, this is it! The room are luxurious, the beds and very comfortable. The entire property has an ambiance about it.... the staff are friendly, the food is tasty. This was our first stay at the Elms, we will definitely go again. Its worth the drive!

Reviewed April 25, 2013

I regularly come to Kansas City to take my elderly mother out on a road trip. In the past, we have stayed at bed and breakfasts situated in old and beautiful mansions in the area, but at 90 years old, the bedrooms at the top of those gorgeous winding stairways are just a bit out of reach for Mom. We bought a Groupon in the winter for The Elms in Excelsior Springs. I was a bit hesitant, because I remember being a little scared when visiting the mineral pools surrounding the hotel as a young child. I swallowed my fear and made a reservation for two nights in April. I called at the last minute and the place was pretty booked, but they found a room for us for both nights. We arrived on Thursday afternoon, April 11. Everyone seemed extremely young but friendly and very professional. When we got to our room, I noticed that there was one king size bed. I had forgotten to make the reservation for two beds. I used the phone in the room to call down to the desk and ask if they could find us a room with two beds, but it was impossible because of the wedding party arriving the following day. Instead, they put us in the Truman Presidential Suite. It was huge and gorgeous. I loved the large bathroom with the antique style tub. Mom saw the king size bed and promptly curled up in a corner of the bed and went to sleep. I used the sofa bed, which was fine. We ate dinner at the 88. Delicious but not cheap. I enjoyed the spa, lap pool and exercise rooms. I used our $50 spa credit for a haircut, which gained me free access into the Grotto. Loved it. Went from wet sauna to dry sauna to steam room to hot tub with breaks in between to relax and listen to music.

I understand that the hotel just reopened after extensive renovations. It is beautiful. I was a bit reluctant to walk down the steps to the lap pool, remembering going down to the mineral pools as a child. I finally got to the bottom of the stairs and opened the door to a beautiful and well lit lap pool. Sigh of relief!

Mom and I visited area shops and flea markets (great antiques) during the day as well as a trip to the Hall of Waters, which tells the history of the area. The springs that are under the building are now closed. For our second night, we went to the barbeque restaurant around the corner from the hotel. Great food in an old train station. There are a number of restaurants in town, but we enjoyed the hotel's little coffee shop for a light breakfast.

The trip was great, but more than anything I was appreciative of the staff. I was amazed at how young they were but so well trained and professional. They were smiling, friendly and just pleasant to be with.

Although there was a wedding going on and the hotel was fully booked, it did not bother us. The wedding did not have loud music, but rather soft worshipful music which was enjoyable. The only noise I heard outside of my door was one of the noisy guests speaking loudly in the hall. Why anyone would do that I do not know.

Highly recommended and we will hopefully go back!

Room Tip: We were on the third floor - it was nice and quiet. Some rooms overlook the pool area which might be...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 18, 2013

my husband and i had a Groupon so we spent a Friday night there. Check-in was a breeze. Our room was ready and had a king bed with those temperpedic mattresses. We had a $50 credit for the spa or dining room, the spa was pretty pricey so we ate dinner in the 88. Delicious cocktails, pasta and short ribs. My 2 gripes would be the thin walls...you can hear everyone in the hallways ~which means they could hear us in our room :-/. Luckily I have a white-noise app on my iPhone so i slept fine. 2. The cafe doesn't do mocha coffee too well. 3. don't bother with the town, it almost all closed shops.

4  Thank Oatbagg
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I have been to the Elms several times over the last 20 years and I have to say I really like what they have done with the place with the recent remodel. We stayed in a suite and enjoyed the managers reception from 5-7. The wine and snacks were delicious and especially loved the Spanish chorizo served with the wine and cheese selection. Got a massage and explored the Grotto. The massage was one of the best and Love the grotto. Such a relaxing atmosphere! Tried to go to the local antique stores and winery but found them to be closed. One winery advertises wood fired pizza, but quit serving at 5:00 pm. Plan to have dinner at the hotel. Local businesses should consider broader weekend hours to catch the weekend visitors. Wish the downtown area of Excelsior Springs was as exciting as the hotel, but found most businesses vacant or closed. Luckily the Elms makes up for the lack luster town.

Room Tip: Go for the suite! and splurge on the massage!
1  Thank 1stjayhawk
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We drove through Excelsior Springs a couple of years. When I saw The Elms I made it a misssion to go back and was able to recently. It was well worth the wait. The atmosphere takes you back to another time even though the hotel has just undergone an extensive renovation. We stayed in a king suite which had a great bed and an even greater shower. It overlooked a roof so the view sucked but thats a small quibble. What is not a small quibble is that the room was incredibly noisy. When we arrived there were 2 weddings and a corporate function all going on. One of them utilized the ballroom, which was directly below our second floor room. The music thudded into the night, making our evening less than restful. In all fairness we did not complain to management, who may very well have accomodated us. We were in 221--our traveling companions were in 240 down the hall and heard nothing. I believe it would be good customer service to advise guests of this before placing them there. Unfortunately this happened both nights. This also puts parking at a premium but free valet parking is available so that's a non-isse. Everything else-front desk, bell staff, restaurants- were top drawer. As a bonus it snowed while were there, making the place even more beautiful.

Room Tip: Avoid the second floor rooms above the ballroom unless you're one of the wedding guests who stay...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Argosy Casino Hotel & Spa Kansas City
Hyatt Place Kansas City Airport
Hyatt Place Kansas City Airport
#4 of 109 in Kansas City

Been to The Elms Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!