“Love the remodel”

The Elms Hotel and Spa
Kansas City, Missouri, Usa
“Love the remodel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

The Elms has done an amazing job with the remodel. The spa and grotto are top notch. The rooms look like a 4-star hotel....the beds are so comfortable and bathrooms look great.I love getting away for the weekend to this special little hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

I stayed at the Elms during my spring break. I've been going to The Elms for over 22yrs. I was waiting on their lastest upgrade. It took longer than I expected so I ventured out to other spas. Finally when the time was right I booked one night and ended up staying for 2 nights. I stayed on their 5th floor Royal Level. Nice and peaceful with your own hostess Debby from 5-7 serving lovely appertizers and all the beer and wine you could drink. That in it self was an upgrade from the previous Club Level. Although you did have a nice choice of hard liquors. The Spa is amazing my friend said she had been to this type of spa in Italy. She was very impressed with their Grotto area. Very beautiful and peaceful. The architects did an amazing job. The spa services are reasonable and the Grotto area is included. I had the most relaxing time of my life. It all starts with Barry at the front desk. He is the man with a plan. Very professional and knowlegable about The Elms and the surrounding neighborhood. He can take care of your needs in a minute. You name it (of course within reason) and it's done. I can't wait to go back and enjoy what I work so very hard for. Peace of mind.

Room Tip: For your first visit you really should check into the Royal Level. Once you do, you wont want to sta...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lee's Summit, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

Wish I could give this hotel at least a 4 rating but just can't do it. If I could give a 3.5 I would. The overall appearance upon arrival was a bit disappointing. I was surprised not to find a doorman in such a nice old place. Once settled in an appreciation grew for this interesting old hotel and it's grounds. It would be nice to find some books in the lobby with interesting fact on the history of this place. I found a lack of detail when it came to cleanliness. I just kept thinking someone should be in charge of keeping things clean like the lobby rugs, fireplace screen, and lobby bathroom. I found the pool wonderful! We had a great time down there. We wished the indoor hot tub was warmer. The outdoor hot tub was really great! Only problem was no one was around to pick up dirty towels and trash. Where was everyone? Our room was small but that's OK, it's an old place. We had three people staying and only got one wash cloth. The dead bolt on the door didn't work. The toilet lever kept getting stuck. Lot's of outside of the room noise (and I mean until 3am- people coming and going). Hard bed and worst of all was the noisy heating system (and I mean the loudest I have ever heard). Needless to say- not a good nights sleep. On the bright side the spa the next morning was GREAT! Lot's of attention to detail and the staff was always there to make sure everything was as it should be. The hotel could learn a lot from the spa. The café needs to be open more hours for desert or snacks throughout the day. I thought some of the new upgrade didn't really fit the theme of this historic old hotel. I bet it's really pretty there in the summer and the outdoor pool looked very nice but don't think I will be going back anytime soon. So sad...

1 Thank psychrnm
Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

Lovely gorgeous resort hotel that seems still to be under construction in some rooms; the overall update back to 1913 "bones" has been very nicely done but some details -- like a 3/4 length mirror in each room, a place to put toiletries in the bathroom, info on the wonderful spa-- were missing which diminished my overall experience.

Beds are high density foam (which you either like or not; NOT in my case).

Other not-so-goods: My room was heavily febreezed, much to my breathing discomfort the first night. Second night was better but was still bothered by the nearby service elevator that chimed at every floor from 7 am onward. The room heating/cooling unit was very loud as was the building's heating and cooling system located outside my window.

Avoid the food service if you can. Not one meal was worth it, including a piece of coffee cake with heavily burnt chocolate chips from the cafe. Dining room specalized in nearly tasteles dishes.

Overall, an interesting place to stay near KC but hope it's still a work in progress.

Room Tip: Ask to face the swimming pool /woods areas. Avoud front facing rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank notbeenthere_11
Nebraska USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

I have stayed at The Elms about six times over the past 15 yrs but this was my first since the 'major renovations' were done 2011-2012. This particular stay was for pleasure with me/my fiancé /my son/ his wife on overnight Saturday stay. I could not tell a difference except the room decor appeared to be updated. Rooms are very small. A bartender told us much of the remodel was for plumbing etc. there were 2 weddings occurring which made for a VERY noisy stay (we experienced the same thing last time since thus is very much a wedding destination). The Lobby was crowded and noisy throughout the stay - the noise in the hallways from guests kept my son/his wife awake til 2am. The ghost tour we requested was poor (janitor Greg was tour guide) and not nearly as good (thorough, engaging etc) as the one I had previously. Service was really good but experience was less than it could have been. Slightly disappointed over prior stays.

Aside from the Elms, ate at The Wabash for - as always - simply fabulous BBQ in a casual historic setting - wine tasted at Willows Mercantile and had dinner theater at Paradise Playhouse nearby.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room to be away from noisy guests in hallway.
Sugar Creek, Missouri, Usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Very 'European', centrally-located, excellent staff and facilities! Visitors are always treated as 'special-guests'. Lots of history, many 'special-events', great place to 'get-away' and relax, get married, have functions and conferences, or just 'hide-out'.

Hesston, Kansas, Usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

You will not regret taking the extra time to go past Kansas City to stay at this somewhat hidden gem! The staff was super friendly, the room was excellent, and the dinner was amazing!! Our only wish is that we could have stayed longer. It would be perfect for a weekend getaway, wedding reception, dinner party, and much more!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
#4 of 109 in Kansas City
Higher Ground Hotel
Higher Ground Hotel
#2 of 18 in Independence

Been to The Elms Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!