“Ok... If You're Not Expecting Much”
Review of Ponderosa - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Ponderosa
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We decided to stop here on our way home from St. Louis after my husband and the kids had gone to Six Flags. This is probably our third time eating here... it's nice if you have kids to have a little variety...

First, let me say that this was the most disappointed I have ever been in this particular restaurant... but it may be due to the fact that we visited on Father's Day. The restaurant was 1/2 full when we arrived and my husband decided to go for the sirloin tips and buffet while I went for a sirloin steak. We were seated and got our food from the buffet - the labeling above the food was incorrect. The salad fixings were good... fried chicken was tasty... but I was a bit disappointed in the other "home cooked" stuff - they had beans and some stewed tomatoes, but it wasn't that great... my kids filled up on macaroni and cheese and chicken nuggets which was fine for them! The desert bar had stale cinnamon rolls on it and there was a lot of stuff missing...

Our main problem was the wait... we were seated far ahead of three or four families who got their special orders wwwaaayyyy before us. It was disappointing to wait, as we had a long trip ahead of us to get back home. So, after approximately 35 minutes for our steaks, we just had them box them up and we took them home.

Our server, Danielle, was a great server... you can tell she cared, but she seemed a tad flustered and busy.

Overall, not our best visit here... we may give it a shot again...

Reviewed June 6, 2013

I used to work at Ponderosa (back in the late 70's). I can tell you that the food quality of the Ponderosa back then (very good) is completely different from the quality of food now (very poor). The service at the Ponderosa, Eureka, MO was very good. The cashier was cheerful and so were the servers. No problems there at all. The restaraunt was clean - again, no issues with that. The food though, was awful. The lasagna, taco meat, chicken, rice, etc. were crusted over because they had been under hot lights and sitting there for hours. There is NO WAY I would have served the macaroni and cheese to any child. The salad items were OK. The baked potato was the "highlight" as it was edible. The center cut sirloin was awful. I will never go back.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Six Flags season pass holders get a discount. For the price, its a fairly good place to eat especially if you have picky kids.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

the food was delicious as usual and i highly enjoy coming here when i visit Eureka. I thought the wings wre delicious and the ranch was to die for.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We were planning on trying a new local restaurant when some friends called and suggested we do dinner at Ponderosa. Growing up, Ponderosa was my father's favorite restaurant, so we went there at least annually for his birthday (thankfully he's developed finer taste in his later days). So, I wasn't opposed to going as I remembered the salad bar being good, if not great.

I had been craving a burger, so I was pleased to see the 1/2 lb cheeseburger option on the menu and my boyfriend chose a sirloin.

The lady at the register and our waitress were both polite, but not overly friendy, and for the first half of our meal our drinks were well filled. After that, we had empty glasses for awhile, but not so long as to cause major discomfort.

I started with a salad, some fresh fruit, and a roll. The roll was warm, fluffy, and fantastic. The salad fixings were fresh, but the salad dressing was a bit too watered down. The fruit was hit and miss. The pineapple slices were juicy and fantastic, but the cantelope had absolutely zero flavor and was very dry. I did not finish that. There was watermelon offered on the buffet, but it was sliced in a way that there was very little "flesh" above the rind (similar to the cantelope slices), so I passed on that, disappointed.

When my burger came out, it was huge and had a plentiful amount of large french fries on the side. I didn't eat the fries, but they looked fine. I cut my burger in half as it was too large to eat as it was. I was underwhelmed to say the least. The first half of the burger was, edible. That's the highest praise I can give it. As I started on the second half (which had cooled considerably), I was disgusted. I literally had to spit it out to prevent myself from vomiting. I would never, ever, recommend wasting your money on this cheeseburger.

My boyfriend's sirloin fared a little better. He was not overly impressed with it, but said it was good. However, it was so light in color, that we suspected it to be more pork than beef.

In an attempt to wash the nasty burger from my mouth I went to get some dessert. Most of the cakes and cookies didn't appeal to me, so I settled on some soft serve ice cream in a dish topped with some chocolate sauce. It was fair, if not good, and my real disappointment was that the colored sprinkles weren't out. (My companions embarassed me by asking the waitress to get some for me, and to her credit, she seemed ready to do so.)

Overall, we were very disappointed, and do not plan to return. If you're invited here by friends, skip the entree, stick to the cheapest option, the buffet, and don't expect much by way of good food.

1  Thank singin_santafe