“Very Dirty Hotel - Unrecommended”
Review of America's Best Inn

America's Best Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Eureka
Normal, Illinois
“Very Dirty Hotel - Unrecommended”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I wasn't expecting the best room because we were staying in a cheap hotel, but I was hoping that the room would at least be clean....well, it was not. The bedding was very old and worn, there were hairs in the bed, visible crumbs on the edge of the spring mattress. There were ants by the windows and mold growing on the walls of the bathroom. The floors didn't look like they were vacuumed. All the towels were stained and very thin. The pool was absolutely disgusting with dirt and grime on the tiles, and the water was green and cloudy. If you are on a budget and going to Six Flags, it might be worth it to spend a little extra money to stay in a hotel that's closer and has a shuttle because parking at Six Flags costs $18.00. Spend a little extra so you can feel clean and sleep well. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rachel B

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
mo
Reviewed July 19, 2012

You get what you pay for. We were going cheap so we could spend our money on other things. The room was fine, with two beds.The towels were pretty thin. The room was pretty well cleaned. The breakfast was ok. It was cereal, toast, bagels, donuts, milk,orange juice, coffee. The area is very small. It was ok for the kids. The pool was ok. They enjoyed that also.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank dmacMo
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed September 30, 2011

We had a good experience at America's Best Inn Six Flags, we were in town for the theme park, it was nice to have breakfast provided and to be so close. Room was clean, staff was friendly, we will stay there again when coming to the area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Susie F
Central MO
Reviewed June 8, 2011

The motel is older and nothing has been done to modernize it, which you halfway expect for the price you pay. However, anything worth doing is worth doing right. When I entered the room, there were little pebbles and dirt in the floor around the front door. The bed was clean although the bedding was well-worn which is the first thing I inspect in a room. Next, I looked the bath over and the tub looked old but clean in spite of the mold embedded in the grout. The room did not seem horribly bad until bedtime when I turned on the water and brown (rusty?) water came out. If you let it run long enough, it will probably run clear eventually, but I cannot recommend this place! I did go ahead and stay but would have asked for a refund if I had discovered this earlier.

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank ozark_hillbilly

Travelers are raving about these Eureka hotels

Williamsville, Missouri
Reviewed May 16, 2011

room was clean, beds were comfortable and pool was clean and warm ! Only stayed one night due to school /work but plan on staying at this motel again ! Staff was friendly, breakfast was very enjoyable with everything that was offered (large selection ). Close to many activities including Six Flags.

Room Tip: use all discounts available
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank vwithrow
Tulsa, OK
Reviewed October 5, 2010

We stayed here for one night on our way into St. Louis. This was pretty much exactly what you'd expect from a roadside motel of this sort. It was dated and the room was small and had some cosmetic issues, but it was reasonably clean, the air conditioning worked well and the wifi was great. There was cheap soap and shampoo in the bathroom that you could use in a emergency, and it only had a shower, no tub, but the water pressure was fine. The cable channels were minimal, but the TV worked ok.

The front desk staff was polite and efficient and it was quiet at the hotel the night we were there. They had coffee and some cheap donuts in the morning and some cereal, I think, but I only had the coffee. We paid $39 +tax through Expedia which was the best price for anything in the vicinity, since we didn't book ahead.

We weren't going to Six Flags, but if you were, this hotel is just blocks down from the entrance, so it would be a good place to crash if you just wanted a place to sleep while visiting Six Flags. There were restaurants nearby and the area seemed safe. It wouldn't be good for an extended trip but for a safe cheap place for a night or two, it was just fine.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lisabee36
Missouri
Reviewed September 25, 2010

I was apprehensive to book my room here because of bad reviews I had seen on TripAdvisor about other similarly priced motels in Eureka. But I decided to take a chance. Besides I had once spent Saturday night in Matamoros and I knew I could endure spending a single night just about anywhere.

I was pleasantly surprised to get a room that was clean, comfortable and, at $53 a night, very reasonably priced.

Admittedly this is an older property but it shows signs of having been refurbished recently. The bathroom tile and carpet appeared to be fairly new and the walls recently painted. The furnishings were dated but all were in working order. Included were microwave, refrigerator, large analog color TV with many cable channels, clock radio, hair dryer, table and swivel office-type chair. The air-conditioning unit looked recent. Free Wi-Fi Internet is also included and I clocked speeds of 3-5 Mbps in my room with no downtimes.

I arrived about 10 PM, check-in was no problem and the night clerk was pleasant and accommodating. The next morning I met the young couple who I believe may be the owners. They are Indians of the "dotted forehead tribe" (they had no dots nor displayed any indication that they weren't fully Americanized). They were cordial, always smiling and very accommodating.

They serve a continental breakfast of the type which is typical for many motels: doughnuts, bagels, cereal, perhaps some fruit. I'm not a breakfast person so I didn't partake. However, I'm a big coffee hound and so I indulged in that. It was very good coffee.

As it turned out my plans to see the grandkids got stalled and I wound up staying an extra two nights. Everything considered, I must say that this was a most enjoyable -- and unexpected -- experience.

If I were a traveling businessman on a budget or a parent wanting to treat the kids to an affordable outing at Six Flags I would definitely choose this motel for my lodging. (I saw several young families doing just that during my stay.)

(FWIW, I stayed in room 127 so I know that's a good one!)

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank BigBlueJeans
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eureka
Holiday Inn Saint Louis West Six Flags
Comfort Inn Six Flags St. Louis
Drury Inn & Suites St. Louis Southwest
Pear Tree Inn St. Louis Fenton
Hampton Inn St. Louis Southwest
The Wildwood Hotel, BW Premier Collection

Been to America's Best Inn? Share your experiences!