“Will NOT go back or recommend to anyone”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Eminence
River's Edge Resort
Ranked #5 of 6 Eminence B&B and Inns
Springfield, Illinois
“Will NOT go back or recommend to anyone”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

A group of friends started looking into different place to have our annual float trip. We had heard that Eminence, MO was a nice area. Even though I was not the exact point person on this planning trip I was well up to date with our traveling plans.

We were traveling with a group of 9-12 people so we chose to stay in the River House. It was going to be $600 for the two night stay. We thought that was dooable and we would have plenty of room. one of our group members sent in a check for $600. It was for the security deposit and a down payment, that is understandable.

We arrived and the people at the desk were nothing but RUDE and acted as if they were being forced to help us. They then went over all of the house rules and said that if we were outside being loud after 10pm we would be kicked out. Seriously?? 10PM!? We just drove 4 1/2 hours to get here and you expect us to go to bed early. HECK NO! To top it off...then did the whole Bait and Switch on Rooms! They told us we owed $900!!! We would end up paying them $1500 with only getting $300 back if the house was "better than we found it" I'm not qutie sure how that works out.

We had a great float on the Jack's Fork River but we will NOT be back to River's Edge!! They are a scam and I will be calling the BBB about them. However, since they are in the sticks of MO I'm sure no body really gives two hoots about the BBB.

Don't stay there and Don't say I didn't warn you!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank LoStead
welltraveledmo, Owner at River's Edge Resort, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
We are never rude to any of our guests. At check in when we feel it is appropriate we go over are rules with our new guests to insure that they know what is expected of them and they will respect our resort as well as our other guests. Large groups on summer weekends often party hard and loose this respect mainly due to excessive alcohol consumption. We are a family resort with our rules posted online and we appreciate our guests that respect our rules.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Illinois
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I stayed in room 11 with two friends. This was our third time at River's Edge. It is a unique property right on the Jack's Fork river and near the small town of Eminence. There were some problems with the room: it was very dark; the double bed I slept in was not very comfortable; there were a few minor upkeep issues; and it was expensive to me based on my travels and the quality level of the sheets, towels, etc. The positive factors are they have plenty of seating in the room including a single sized futon; the room includes a shared balcony which looks out on the river; there is a coffee maker, microwave, refrigerator, dvd player, table with three chairs,and books and magazines.

We never encountered any feeling of unfriendliness by the owners or staff and have felt very comfortable each time we have stayed there. Despite the negatives I mentioned above I will stay there again. It is safe, quiet, relaxing, and in a great location.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MimiDuffy
atlanta, GA
Reviewed July 11, 2012

This was the third time I have stayed at River's Edge. My 2 friends and I have enjoyed these accommodations in the past, and you can't beat the location. The decor is unique, but some updates are needed. There was a "soft spot" on the bathroom floor, maybe due to water damage. A couple of the lamps were a bit sketchy-the "bulb socket" on one was disconnected from the lamp and the shade on another was coming apart. That's unfortunate since all lamps were necessary in such a dark room. Keeping in mind that these rooms see a lot of wear and tear due to river activities, one would expect higher quality considering the price.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank travelthor
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Eminence is a beautiful community-however- River's Edge was not quite what I'd call a pleasant place to stay. First of all- there's a new bridge and the water is low so, you're actually about 100 yards from the river's edge. That is no fault of the owner so,let's let that go. One is initially welcomed to the establishment by a sign outside the office which reads "don't even think of Parking here." We checked in- one receives a Do's and Don't's lecture. The first thing I noticed about the room was there is no closet nor a chest of draws. Unpacking is not an option. There are but 3 pegs on the wall to hang clothes. there is no easily accessible power outlet. But no need because the wifi doesn't work. Neither our phones, nor laptop nor ipad would connect. When we complained, the owner said it must be " a soft ware problem at our end." When the battery in the smoke alarm needed to be replaced- the owner couldn't determine how to change it so instead he took a pair of wire cutters out and removed it. We also were instructed that coolers like ours leak and therefore we must keep it in the bathtub or outside the room. It was empty. We were thinking about staying longer than we originally booked- we decided not to stay another night- we won't be back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank 56tallweed75
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We were scheduled for a two nights stay, in a suite that cost $330 per night. My daughter got sick with the mumps, so we had to leave a day early. There was no consideration whatsoever, for giving us a refund, which under the circumstances I found pretty hardcore. It was not a friendly place, the restuarants in the area either (a) were bad or (b) looked bad. I would not go back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Ben W
, Owner at River's Edge Resort, responded to this review, July 15, 2012
We are sorry for anyone that has to leave early because of illness or any other reason. When one checks in here there is a sign that says "no refund for early departure" on our cash register and this common at most lodging businesses. Most people understand the commitment of a reservation. When a party does have to leave early we immediately put the accommodation back on the market to try rent it again. If we do rent it we will refund the guest for an early departure less 20% for a service and rebooking fee. In this instance we unable to rent the suite and it set empty unfortunately.
Chicago
Reviewed March 27, 2012

The Rivers Edge Resort is just the place to relax and let your cares float away - as the Jacks Forks River passes refreshing through your senses. It is a laid back get away for anyone wanting to appreciate the wonders of nature. We were entertained by a family of beavers frolicking within our front porch swing view--as well as turtles, geese, ducks, eastern bluebirds, woodpeckers and a panoply of wildlife. The accommodations were lovely as was Lynette and her family including our favorite cats, Jumper and Lucky.
Oh-- to get a taste of spring in the Ozarks!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank Giselle_H_Ratain
welltraveledmo, Owner at River's Edge Resort, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
We sorry for your disappointment we try try our best to accommodate our guests and we do offer free wireless internet for our guests at the main lodge and at the river cabins. This does not include software support for connecting devices. As far as the smoke detector, it was defective and it was removed late in the day to stop the beeping and replaced with new one in the morning.
Alton, Illinois
Reviewed October 24, 2011

We stayed here for an off-season one-night stay to celebrate our first anniversary. The room was very clean and we liked the rustic decor. There were nice touches such as ceiling fans outside the rooms on the deck. Since it was chilly they were not turned on but I'm sure it's nice in the hot summer. It was just a quick trip for us and we mostly needed a bed for an evening but I believe we'll be booking a room with them again in the future! The only downside was the comfort of the bed and pillows for me, but what's uncomfortable to me may be just right to someone else. I'll bring my own pillow next time.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank sunlovingjen

Been to River's Edge Resort? Share your experiences!