“magical paradise”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Likuri Island
Australia
“magical paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2010

We had the most amazing 4 nights on the Island and loved every minute... The island is very basic but amazing. The accomodation we had was a small bure which had a double bed and a single bed, pedestal fan and small table. It was all you needed as you only spent time in there to sleep. The people are beautiful and treat you with so much kindness and are soo friendly. We had the best cocktails in the world, they even climbed the coconut tree just to get coconut cream for my pinacolada.. how is that for 5 star service. The backpackers on the island made it so much more fun as we got to meet some great friends. Would stay here again for sure.. prefer it to the upmarket resort style accomodation. We had the craziest snorkelling experience. The crew took us out to the breakers out off the island and we snorkelled in the the most amazing place ever.. unbelieveable... The basic showers are so much fun just like upmarket camping with the fill up the bucket and pulley it up...Heaps to do, snorkelling, kayaks, swimming pool or beach, beach games where a blast the guys are so full of energy and every moment was incredible,or laze around in the hammocks, drinks are very affordable and the food... wow.. so much you definately wouldnt go hungry.The amazing shows that were put on daily were captivating, the guys and girls really had you mesmerised with their fabulous dancing and fire throwing.. Robinson has got me we will be back for sure...

1 Thank funtime1010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2010

Travelled with my partner. Resort is basic but that makes it great. No modern commodities - back to the real island living.. The staff are amazing full of life and always looking for fun. Meals are great, drinks a plenty. You even get the occasional visitors with day trippers coming to the island. Hey what else do you need - you have a bed to sleep in, a toilet to do whatever you need, a shower, a bar, food, and crystal blue waters to swim in, great outgoing staff, traditional shows day and night from the amazing talented staff.. You don't need anymore than that.

Met some of the owners/managers - great wonderful people.

One thing to note though - power is switched off at midnight on the dot and goes back on at 7am. But there is light from the lanterns on all paths and if it's hot jump in the pool before you go to bed it will keep you cool enough till power goes back on. We had the experience of being in the pool when power went off - didn't bother us one bit. There's enough light to wander around - you are not in complete blackness.

It's an amazing feeling when the power does go off-the still of the night-waves washing up on the shore-peaceful peaceful peaceful.

We had an awesome time not long enough though - we are heading back in March for long weekend. Can't wait to catch up with all that work on the island.

PS: You need to have a massage - half the price of any upper class hotel/resort. and their wonderful.

1 Thank ONADIKO
Cheltenham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2010

Wow. We stayed for 9 nights on the island and could of spent so much longer! From a backpackers point of view, it was brilliant - especially as an end to our long travels. The island gave us the best of both worlds 1)a tropical paradise where you could be left alone, relax and enjoy the sea, free kayaks and beautiful pool and 2) Take part in the daily activities with the friendliest set of Fijian staff you will ever meet! Right from the start, they made you feel part of the family and introduced us as islanders to those on the day trips. Unlike other resorts, you could become friends with the staff and they all knew your name and would always have a chat with you. Thank you so much guys - you were fab! We will definitely return to Robinson Crusoe Island and I just hope it will not change and not become another flashy, 5 star resort!

1 Thank 061310g
Nottinghamshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2010

I stayed here with my fiance for 8nights and are considering going back for our honeymoon. Totally loved it! The staff are brill, especially Maria, Seb, Phil and Latu. Food is great and there is plenty of it. Bar is well priced and to say your on an island it is not expensive at all. Beds are comfortable. The only negative thing i can say is that the music is so loud in the evening but it doesnt stop you getting any sleep because the electricity goes off at midnight which shuts the music off but if your outside having a conversation with someone it is difficult to speak over the music. It wouldnt stop me going back though. The staff are what made it for me.

ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2010

Had a great time the staff are great fun and very friendly. The facilities are basic but just what you need :)

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cutleryking
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2009

When I stumbled across Robinson Crusoe I have to admit that I was a little hesitant about staying there. Did I really want bucket showers and basic accomodation? The answer is YES! I am SOOO glad that I decided to go to Robinson Crusoe. Everything about the stay from the moment I got to the island was better than I could have imagined. There is a feeling you get when you visit that is hard to explain and I'm sure hard to market.

The staff are amazing! They all learn your name and couldn't be more friendly. Every day when I walked around the island I was constantly greeted by them. Thanks Maureen and Maria for all your help and kindness. As a solo female traveler I never felt uncomfortable...in fact I felt anything but, it was wonderful!

The island is a great size for the amount of people that stay there. You have a lot of options from simply lounging on the beach in one of the hanging chairs/hammocks, to walking around the island, kayaking, snorkeling, making jewelry, etc. At night when the music comes on and the dance club opens it's a great time with 8 people or 20.

The days/night cruises are slightly annoying because so many people arrive. But they need to make money to keep this little jewel in operation. Plus there are a lot of activities with the day/night cruises that you can join in. And they let us "islanders" join in and greet and sing goodbye which makes us feel more like family on the island than annoyed. Once they leave we have our island back, bonfires, guitars, amazing stars, the sound of the ocean....it's magical. At night after the generator goes off you have to go to the end of the island, lay on the beach in the dark and stare at the stars. It's the most amazing site. You feel so free at this place!

The only downside is that it's a bit far if you want to go to Nadi or other islands for the day. I would recommend staying at Robinson Crusoe for the duration of your stay or the beginning or end for logisitical purposes.

If you want a true island experience, with great food and great people, keeping in mind that it's a "back to basics" place, Stay at Robinson Crusoe...you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank TexasTraveler423
New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2009

GOING to Fiji but want the real experience instead of another tourist trap?
I’ve found the authentic Fiji experience – the real deal with fearsome island warriors and beautiful Pacific women, delicious Fijian food and ancient island rituals – I experienced it all on Robinson Crusoe Island.

The experience of this island will live long with me and the boss such was the hospitality on this perfect little piece of paradise.

The fact that there were only another 14 guests staying on the island when we were there defies logic but, if I’m brutally honest, I loved it even more for it. We would walk five minutes from the tiny beachfront resort and would have our very own private beach.

I could have been Tom Hanks in Castaway had it not been for the absence of a ball to talk to. I would have to make do with talking to the wife for the next few days.

Robinson Crusoe Island is just a short boat trip through a lush green mangrove-sandwiched river and a beautiful lagoon crossing. A one-hour coach ride from Nadi will get you to the jetty for this.

Our arrival at Robinson Crusoe Island was unforgettable. Half a dozen Fijians dressed in what looked to me like Polynesian war dress stood on the beach as our little boat putt-putted into the bay. Just as I feared we would be eaten, a guitar struck up and there was an eruption of singing and clapping.

As the boat hit the sand we were greeted with a hearty “Bula!” which means “hello,” and pretty much anything else you want it to mean. We were encouraged to respond in the same manner.

The warmth and friendliness of the Robinson Crusoe islanders cannot be exaggerated.
This was the real Fijian experience that I’d hoped for.

The accommodation is basic but sufficient. Water on the island is precious so must be conserved. To that end, bucket showers are provided which I must admit I found great fun – if only for its novelty value.

Electricity is provided by generator and this only runs from around 7 in the morning until midnight. Once the power was shut off for the night, the islanders would light a massive fire and play guitar and talk and laugh with us late into the night. It was at these moments that I would have happily thrown my entire life away just to spend the rest of my days there on that beach.

Our first evening was fantastic if a little hazy. It was our kava ceremony. Kava is the national drink of Fiji and, not surprisingly, it gets you off your t!ts if you drink enough.

It’s non-alcoholic though and made from the root of a pepper plant. The grayish-brown powder is mixed in water in a bowl known as a bilo and a strict ritual is performed before each member of the party is invited to drink from the bilo. Once the formalities are out the way, everyone is free to relax and drink a small childful of the muddy-looking concoction.
It’s a strange sensation getting “drunk” on kava. Your mouth and throat go numb first then your whole head. By your sixth bilo you’re the most chilled you’ve been since that long weekend in Amsterdam.

The food at Robinson Crusoe was exceptional. Kiwis have hangi, Fijians have lovo. It was one of the best most sensational meals I’ve ever had. Beef, chicken and ham with potatoes and carrots were roasted underground for hours and served to us just as the sun went down in paradise. Bliss.

For some added spice a few of the islanders walked over the hot coals. They offered everyone a shot but there were no takers surprisingly.

The activities on offer at the island – most of them free – were fantastic fun. Twice a day the islanders would take a boatload of us out the coral reef to snorkel and there were kayaks to use free of charge. There was also fishing and SCUBA diving available at very reasonable rates.

The beautiful Fijian ladies were also on hand to give relaxing massages and offered the first 15 minutes free although I declined as my better half looked like she may have forced her snorkel into an entirely unnatural place if I had accepted the offer.

Our time on Robinson Crusoe Island was all too short and at FJD 263 for a two-night stay including meals, it’s a slice of paradise that even the most frugal of backpackers can afford.

For more information and to book, visit www.robinsoncrusoeislandfiji.com

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,435 reviews
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort

Been to Robinson Crusoe Island Resort? Share your experiences!