“Amazing Trip!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dora
Tree House Cabins at River of Life Farm
Ranked #1 of 1 Dora B&B and Inns
St. Louis
“Amazing Trip!”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

My original review was deleted somehow, this is my second attempt :) My husband and I stayed in the BEAUTIFUL Tree Top Hideaway from Friday August 30th, to Labor Day (Monday Sept 2nd). I want to first start by saying how absolutely amazing this tree house cabin was, the ROLF resort, and the incredible owners Myron and Ann McKee.

I am a big researcher and planner when it comes to vacations. I had found ROLF online when searching for the perfect weekend getaway. I had also been told through a friend’s friend about ROLF. I was immediately pulled in from the first look at the website and the specific details regarding the rooms, pricing, food, floating, and other outdoor activities. I understand the price is a little higher than some other facilities out there, but I assure you, you will not be disappointed, and the experience is worth every penny! Booking was very easy, as we booked through their website. Make sure to print out the directions from whichever location you are traveling from….would be very confusing without them! We were coming from the St. Louis region.

Upon arrival we went to the lodge and checked in. Ann was there to help us and she was one of the most kind, warming, helpful individuals I have met in a long time. She immediately made us feel as though we were family. We were given the key to our Tree House and off we went. The first impressions were speechless! WOW!! I thought the pictures on the website were outstanding, but being there is person I can say the cabin is more than I ever could have thought. Everything was squeaky clean, beautiful furniture and a fully stocked kitchen and bathroom (coffee, creamer, sugar, ice trays, spices, toaster, paper towels, toilet paper, trash bags, soaps, towels). The air conditioner was ice cold and bed linens were clean and very comfortable. LOVED the Tree Top Hideaway! And the best part? The amazing views, sounds, and location of the balcony!!! We were out there more than anywhere!! Includes a small table, several chairs, and a beautiful wood swing. Made it perfect for morning coffee, reading, lounging, and game playing! Could never once hear the other cabin residents or campers. Best view of the house (ROLF) if I had to say ☺!
We did the 7-mile float on the river both Saturday and Sunday. LOVED IT! Especially on Sunday, it had rained early morning, which made the river just beautiful! A low haze was over the water and had a perfect mixture of cool and warm in the air. Just amazing! Highly recommend the float trip! It truly allows you to see the beauty the region has to offer. We rented a 2-person canoe and it was perfect. There were also several kayakers if that is more your style. We floated the first day for about 5 hours, taking our time. And on Sunday my husband was apparently trying out for the Olympics and we made it through in less than 3.

Saturday evening we took our Jeep out to a field past their main lodge and was given the resorts telescope to view the stars. Ann was so friendly and excited for us to use it. We heading out to the field around 8pm and was set up and ready to go within a few min. Once dark had come in, we saw someone walking towards us. This gentleman was the owner Myron McKee. He was generous enough to spend time with just the two of us and pointed out some of the beautiful starts, constellations, and milky way. Myron is one of the most knowledgeable, passionate, generous individuals we have met. He shared many stories about the resort, his past, his passion in life, his mission, and educated us on the river, stars, and region. For him to take time out of his own personal life to join us (especially on his birthday weekend), it was more than we could have asked for. Truly an incredible man and we were honored to have had the opportunity to talk with him.

We ended up bringing our food with us, my husband has a gluten sensitivity, and though I have no doubt he could eat the delicious food there, we wanted to take the easy route on it. But we did have the honor of meeting their head chef, Bob (I believe). We heard several very satisfied guests with their meals and the food always looked delicious! He was extremely kind and we enjoyed having the opportunity to talk with him also.

Checkout was a breeze (just extremely sad to leave) and Ann was just as sweet as ever! I had the opportunity to catch Myron before leaving also, and gave him a hug bye. Truly inspirational people and YES we will absolutely be back! Thank you ROLF for the perfect weekend we needed!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank K&JSt.Louis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Washington, Missouri, United States
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the ROLF. Myron and Anne were very accommodating even though we were forced to modify our itinerary literally at the last minute. I am sure this inconvenienced them but they were extremely gracious. This was our 3rd time visiting ROLF and the first time with another family member (our son). Since they hired Bob to run the restaurant we chose to eat most of our meals there. We weren't disappointed! The blackened catfish and country fried chicken were excellent. Saturday evening he had a Mexican buffet that included fish tacos and it was "muy bueno"! Even his coleslaw was great. We hiked to Inspiration Point and it was worth the effort. We floated two days, from Twin Bridges to The Falls and from The Falls to James Bridge. Both nice day floats. This time we were in the Treehouse and found it to be very nice. Next time we'll stay at the new Lighthouse. And yes, there's no cell phone service, that's awesome. If you really need to connect you can connect to Wifi at the office/restaurant.

Room Tip: While all of the rooms we've stayed at were nice, we were able to see the new Lighthouse and it...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Batesville, Arkansas
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed for three days at the Treetop Hideaway at the end of July. I have stayed in many cabins over the years and this one was very nice. We especially appreciated that it was not right next to another cabin. The owners did a great job of spacing the cabins out so that there was a real feel of privacy. The cabin, though small was nice, especially the porch. It was lovely sitting on the porch looking down at the beautiful North Fork of the White River. There are a few things that the cabin needed - better coffee pot, and a few other kitchen items. The hot tub, which was a draw, really wasn't usable. The water wasn't hot enough and the water pressure way too low. That was disappointing. But, on the whole, it was quite enjoyable, the owners very helpful, scenery lovely and the float on the river lots of fun. Would I return .... I'm not certain - it was pricey and lacked a bit for that type of price. Though the porch and the view were unbeatable. No cell service unless you go up the hill a bit. We didn't eat in the restaurant so I can't really comment on that.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SusanCBM
Belleville, Illinois
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We enjoyed our stay in the Cedar Chest Cabin. We found it to be clean and had adequate dishes, towels, hot water, etc. We loved sitting out at night and looking at the stars. Also, the hike to Inspiration Point is well worth it. I agree that you don't usually expect to be asked to take out your own trash or strip your bed when you are paying these prices. We also enjoyed our float on the river, but were surprised by how many canoes and kayaks they took out during the week; we didn't expect there to be so many. Overall we had a great time and enjoyed the food served in the dining room, especially the blackened salmon.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the Cedar Chest, but we were a little bothered by an outside light at the cabin next door...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Spent a few days at ROLF mid-June and had a fantastic time. 3 mid-thirties couples stayed at the Chalet on a whim and found it to be a very charming cottage with an amazing view of the meadow and the falls from the front porch. There was plenty of space to spread out for privacy. The kitchen, bedrooms and bathrooms were very spacious and well taken care of. There was easy access to a nice flat on the river as well as walk down access to the Falls. Myron and the staff were ultra-accommodating and really nice down to earth people. If you have any questions regarding the history of the area and the river Myron is the man to ask, he knows it all!

The North Fork....The trout fishing was top notch! I've fished a lot of well known rivers in the Midwest and this has now become my favorite. The wildlife in the area is unbelievable! We saw so many wild animals we lost count...bald eagles, red-tail hawks, flying squirrels, badgers, ground hogs, deer, armadillos.

If you do stay at the ROLF(and you should), definitely spend a day floating...the river is like an aquarium...it is teeming with so much life it's insane...fish, crayfish, clams, otters, beavers. We think Myron should start renting our clear-bottom canoes so that the paddlers can look straight below them as they paddle down this pristine river.
I debated putting up a review because I would like to keep this place a secret...but it's too good to not share with people. If you're thinking about...just do it. You'll enjoy it!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChefJP73
colorado
Reviewed June 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the "Lighthouse" for our honeymoon and had a wonderful time. The cabin is located just a few feet from the north fork of the white river. The cabin is 20-30ft in the air complete with a luggage tram for easy carrying. From the moment you step into the cabin you are surrounded with the peace and tranquility of a quiet stay amongst the stars. The cabin has a rustic decor complete with a gas fireplace for the chilly early spring Missouri nights. The master bedroom has a beautiful bay window that overlooks the river, a king size bed perfect for anyone looking for a great nights sleep, and a jacuzzi tub perfect for a relaxing bubble bath. The cabin is the perfect retreat for a couple looking to get away for the week or a large family looking for a retreat. The hospitality is one of a kind, and the north fork of the white is the perfect place to catch world class trout or enjoy a day float. Our experience there was unforgettable and we can't wait to go back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank love2fishco
Mattoon, Illinois
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We visited on a weekend of severe storms and rain, and still managed to have a great time. Didn't even hardly hear the thunder. Best part of the cabin is the deck overlooking the river. This cabin isn't one of those that sat right on river it was a little way across from the river. Still heard the river and found it to make for a relaxing time just sitting listening to the water and birds. Last night the clouds broke and the stars were amazing, I have never seen so many fireflies either. It was so beautiful. The river was not floatable but we were able to visit a couple old mills nearby (Hodgson Mills & Dawt Mill (bought great salsa from here) as well as drove to Mountain Home, AR & Bull Shoals Lake. The reviews complaining about having to bring all your own things is correct if you are new to camping. Bring food and toiletries and any special utensils or pans you need but if you have stayed in a cabin before you realize this and are prepared. Our cabin had the basic pots/pans, dishes, silverware (bring steak knives). Salt/Pepper Coffee & Creamer - TP, trash bags, and dish soap. We were coming from IL, and when we paid our deposit were told that we should stop along the way to get supplies due to limited access as we got closer. We stopped at Wal-Mart in Rolla however there was another Wal-Mart as we got a little closer (can't remember the town). If you do forget something they have a place they called the " Dora mega mall" down the road. Roy's is a gas station/ restaurant/ liquor store/ convenience store/ Husqvarna dealer with a post office behind them. We didn't eat here except for the homemade pie in the cooler. The Peanut Butter Pie was to die for, thank goodness we bought two pieces because neither of us would have shared with the other. They have a Sunday Brunch and it smelled delicious when we stopped for ice. Here you can find most things (cheaper than the camp store) and Mountain Home, AR is 27 miles away for the big box retailers through some of the most beautiful countryside. The cabins were very nice, and I found ours to be clean and I'm not sure what the air freshener they use is, but it smelled awesome. We arrived in the afternoon when it was a little warm and humid and turned our air on and the ceiling fans and cabin was cool within a short time. Cabin even had a fan besides the ceiling fan for those of us who need the "sound" to sleep. We stayed in the Treetop Loft and this would be perfect for a couple or family with a bed below and loft with bed upstairs and couch also folded out I believe. Plenty of towels for the whole weekend. They do not provide shampoo, so again be prepared and bring your own. We did not eat in the restaurant but the breakfast smelled amazing when we went in to ask for directions. The camp store has some basic things but prepared it is like a typical camp store and you will pay at least double for everything. Everyone we encountered was friendly and helpful. I also saw complaints about cell service - we have Verizon, and while it was spotty if you were in the bottoms of the ROLF, in our cabin it worked fine for both of us. My husband needed to do some quick work that required internet access for his laptop and drove to the office parking lot to "borrow" their Wi-Fi. He said he did not have any problems. We also had a cabin on our same road, through the trees we could see their lights but we never heard them the entire weekend. These cabins are not sitting right on top of each other. Resort never felt crowded even though I know there were several people staying there too. Not sure if it would have been different if the water was floatable., but I don't think so as spread out as they have the cabins. Only negative's my husband mentioned (again not a deal breaker for us by any means) were the checking out notes state - leave the cabin as clean as you found it - take all trash down to the dumpster by Office (I felt they could have been left by the road and someone could drive by to pick it up each morning). I am sure this has to do with critters just didn't like having to put trash in our car to take it down to the office. Another complained about stripping the bed but I do that in a hotel so wasn't a big deal to me. Again nothing here was a deal breaker, we will definitely visit again and bring the kids next time. You must take the walk to Inspiration Point and the Life Spring Farm those trails were beautiful. The best cell service we found was at the Hillbilly Cell Phone Booth.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Renee P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dora
Holiday Inn Express & Suites West Plains Southwest
Comfort Inn Willow Springs
Comfort Inn Willow Springs
#1 of 1 in Willow Springs
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#2 of 7 in West Plains
Norfork Lake Ozark Mountain Lodge

Been to Tree House Cabins at River of Life Farm? Share your experiences!