“Some really bad, some good, a little great”

Holiday Inn Club Vacations Timber Creek Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in De Soto
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Due to a tendon injury, I called the resort and corporate offices a week before our vacation to request a walk-in unit. After a 7-hour drive, we arrived hot, tired, sweaty, and hungry to be told there was no walk-in unit available. This wasn't a request because I don't want to walk stairs, it's because I have very few steps in my day. The "solutions" presented to me; get sent to a hotel for a night or a lower unit accessible by walking down the sloping lawn were both unacceptable. We ended up in an upper unit which meant that once I was downstairs for the day, I was out and once I returned and went back upstairs, I was stuck inside. I did all that I was supposed to do to secure a unit that was accessible and there is no excuse whatsoever for not having a walk in for me.
The unit was cool and clean, a 2/2 lock out. In the morning, we discovered our coffee maker didn't work properly and we had to go to registration to get another and return the broken one. Our ice maker didn't shut off. Maintenance was very nice, but couldn't fix the problem, which necessitated us emptying the ice bin twice a day. On the outside of our building, there was a piece of siding trim hanging.
Shower pressure was good. The bed was comfortable. The lake was clean and stocked. The pool was clean and cool on a hot afternoon. There was plenty of shade with umbrellas and enough chairs and chaises for all. There were a number of kids, but they were well-behaved and had parental supervision. There is no lifeguard.
The activity center staff was the highlight. Nice, helpful, happy to make fresh popcorn even 10 minutes before closing. There was homemade zucchini bread for sale.
WiFi is at the registration building and at the activity center. It was a nice way to gather with other families.
A 20 minute car ride is what you need to get to food and the movie theater and the small-town mall, aka Walmart.
Our best meal out was pizza at Pogolino's in DeSoto. Everyone knows everyone, but townspeople are friendly and happy to tell you about the area. We found a little Thai restaurant in Festus- that was a surprise.
St Louis is about 45 minutes away. River City casino is up I-55 with a decent buffet and dedicated poker room.
There was more I wanted to do at the resort itself, but being limited to one trip down stairs and one trip back up prevented me from running inside to grab a bathing suit or going in to make a sandwich. It's a shame.

Room Tip: You're closer to the road (more noise), but have a great view of the sunset in C, D, E buildings...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank kkasi
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Club Vacations Timber Creek Resort

Reviewed September 6, 2012

My wife and I decided to take our daughter and stay a week in a 2-bedroom condo at Silverleaf's Timber Creek Resort located just outside of DeSoto, MO. We arrived at the resort on Saturday, August 25th, and were surprised by what we saw... We read different reviews online, most of which were bad. Our experience was just the opposite. Okay, so there were three things that didn't go right... I'll get to that later...

THE CONDO...

We stayed in a 2-bedroom fully furnished condo that had a full kitchen, dining area, living room, balcony, two bedrooms, and two bathrooms. The bathroom in the front bedroom was fairly common and consisted of a tub/shower, toilet, and sink. The bathroom in the rear bedroom (master) consisted of a private toilet room while the sink and jacuzzi tub were open to the room. There were no bedroom closets, but were built in armiors with drawers, and dressers instead. We felt like there was ample storage for our clothes. There was a fairly new flat screen tv in the living room, and one tube-type tv in each of the bedrooms. The living room and the master bedroom had a door that led out onto a covered balcony with a table and chairs. Located in the kitchen was a microwave mounted above an electric stove and oven. There was also a small pantry, cabinets with dishes and utensils, a small dishwasher and refrigerator, and a kitchen sink (without a garbage disposal). The condo was aged, but very clean and upkept! One downfall is there was no wi-fi in the condo. We could, however, walk across the parking lot to the Registration building and connect to the provided wi-fi there. Another downfall was there were no laundry facilities in the condo. There is a laundry facility at the other end of the property near the campground where we found pay washer and dryers. Management told me they are working to get the laundry facility moved across the parking lot from the condo's in the registration building.

THE GROUNDS...

Okay, so I'm not the best golfer, but that didn't keep me from playing their 5-hole golf course and practicing my putts on their practice green! I took my own clubs planning on hitting a few balls, and I did just that! I was very impressed by just how nice their small 5-hole golf course was! I'm referring to the holes, the greens, the fairway, the scenery, etc., as well as how well maintained and manicured the course was! My favorite of the 5 holes was hole 2, which was right next to the lake, partially shaded, and somewhat challenging with the slope of the hill leading to the green. I've played some nice championship courses, and was impressed to find that this one was just as nice to play, yet it didn't take very long at all! A couple downfalls include the size of the course with the longest hole near only 200 yards, and there are no golf carts available. They do, however, have golf push carts that may be rented, if necessary.

We also enjoyed playing minerature golf. Their minerature golf course was cleaner, better manicured, and more challenging than our local minerature golf course. They also have a wishing well that is overflowing with water, flowing through a stream from one side of the course to the other. Both the appearance and the sound were wonderful and kept us coming back!

Our 3-year old daughter loved playing on their large castle like jungle gym! We were surprised to find a child's playground as clean as it was, and were even more impressed with the fact it wasn't covered with spiders and bugs! Our daughter climbed up, slid down, jumped, swang, and more, and never became bored, giving my wife and I time to kick back and look out to the lake. We were watching the ducks and geese, and were impressed by the beauty of one large white goose that was very friendly and didn't appear to be afraid of people!

We also spent quite a bit of time at the Activity Center, playing in the arcade, watching movies in the theater, playing ping-pong, and swimming in the large swimming pool! The activity center also had a tanning bed (for a fee), a pool table, an activities desk, and a fitness center. They also had bicycles that we rented for an afternoon!

Other amenities and activities on the property include horseback riding (for a fee), boating on the private lake (for a fee), basketball, tennis, volleyball, shuffleboard, archery, hiking, and more!

LOCATION...

I have mixed feelings about the location of the resort. I loved the resort being located in the country, away from the busy city. It was peaceful and relaxing, no matter where on the property we were. Plus, there were two Walmarts within a 20 minute drive of the resort - one in DeSoto, the other in Desloge. The resort is only about a 45 minute drive from all of the attractions in St. Louis, which could be considered a downfall... We visited the St. Louis Zoo and the Magic House, both of which were great attractions, but it took almost an hour to get to either of them. Maybe I should be a little more optomistic and say "it only took less than an hour to drive to either of these attractions!" It still doesn't sound very optimistic... It was also a short distance to any restaurants or shopping, which some may consider a bad thing. This didn't bother us, as we're out of money and we made our own meals in the condo!

All in all, we had a wonderful time, and look forward to visiting this resort again in the future!

Room Tip: I would recommend getting a room on the middle level so you don't need to carry your bags up or...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank CaribbeanJunkie816
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This place is awesome ! But it's laid out for families of the 60 and 70's. Only wifi was in registration building. Activity center has books and movies however most were old. Offers horse back riding biking and hiking. Good chance to get reconnected. Maybe it's a good thing to not have Internet all the time. We've enjoyed our stay staff helpful and courteous

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank Rightlaned
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed at Silverleaf's Timber Creek Resort in a 2 bedroom condo. Service is very good and condo very clean. Convenient to St. Louis. Has 2 bathrooms but the master bath is odd...whirlpool tub is right in the master bedroom next to the bed. Better bath with normal shower is in the second (lockout) bedroom. Only hairdryer is a wall mount in the second bathroom. No in unit laundry - coin op laundry located near the rv section. Resort has nice lake, pool, snack bar, mini golf, etc.

• Stayed: June 2012
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#4 of 4 in Festus
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Sainte Genevieve
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham...
#1 of 3 in Sainte Genevieve
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Farmington
La Quinta Inn & Suites Festus

Been to Holiday Inn Club Vacations Timber Creek Resort? Share your experiences!