“Great Old School Motel”
Review of Wagon Wheel Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cuba
Wagon Wheel Motel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Cuba
Reviewed August 2, 2013

My husband and I were road-tripping on our American by-ways with no particular agenda. We used America's Roadside Attractions App and found this great place. Lovingly restored to it's original practical purpose - a comfortable, clean stop on your journey. Loved this place. Another guest was touring Rout 66 in his restored car - if I didn't look at the modern a/c units, I momentarily felt like I was back in time. Really good experience.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stayed here a couple of weeks ago. Owner was very nice and let us check out several rooms to find one we liked and to avoid a disturbance from the roofers who were working above some of the rooms.. Keep in mind that this is a Route 66 motel, not a modern chain, so don't expect the rooms to look like a Hilton. I am rating this hotel based on comparison with other Route 66 hotels, and this one is a must stay if you are on Route 66. Rooms are clean. Beds are comfortable. You can easily walk into downtown Cuba. They do not serve breakfast--I recommend going to the bakery downtown for a cinnamon roll or muffin and coffee. You can get dinner next door at the Missouri Hick BBQ. There was also an ice cream stand outside the motel.

Room Tip: Room 21 is nice with two beds and a small kitchen.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I rented rooms 22 and 23, which were the deluxe rooms. One had a jacuzzi, and one had a spa shower. The spa shower worked perfectly and was wonderful, but the jacuzzi had a small problem that was addressed promptly. Connie and all of the staff there are wonderful. The rooms have been wonderfully remodeled and I can see that it was all done right and no shortcuts were taken. This is from a guy who stayed at the Wagon Wheel when it was just twenty bucks a night, before it was remodeled. The remodeling job is nothing short of amazing. I really enjoyed sitting in a chair on the front lawn. Also, visiting with other tenants, and not having to lock your car and your door when you're 20 feet away. On a hot summer day, the municipal swimming pool is just a short walk down a quiet street.

I only have one "challenge" regarding the Wagon Wheel, and that is noise proofing the walls. Thus I offer a bit of caution - or request - to future travellers. The person in the room next to you can hear everything you say and do. So if you are going to have a spirited debate about a TV show, or have a vicious argument with your spouse, please do it quietly, or outside.

If you are in to the Route 66 experience, you must stay here. I've been up and down Route 66 several times over the past 20 years, and the Wagon Wheel (this time) was one of the best experiences I've ever had on a road trip. Next time I visit Route 66, I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 22 is wonderful, with the jacuzzi. But not so nice when the tenants in Room 21 are fighting.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The service here is great, because since we got here late the lady who owns it called ahead and told us we could find our key under the mat.
It looks to be newly redone in a very cool and retro style. It has a wonderful neon sign out front and a really nice and expansive gift shop.
The rooms were very clean and they do take pets.
They are very big Route 66 supporters, and if you are traveling the Mother Road, you should definitely stop!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the stone buildings for more atmosphere.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed here about three years ago so we decided to try it again on this Route 66 vacation. It was great then, and it's just as great now. It's like stepping back in time! Our room was tiny, but the space was well used. As expected our room was spotless. The flat screen television and central air conditioning were quite nice. I loved how the room still had woodwork and hardwood floors. The outside of the buildings are so beautiful: great stonework. It has so much more character than normal motels. A great stay!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I guess its been about 2 years. I stayed twice in 2011. Lovely place. The second time we stayed that had the 'grand opening" Her family was down. very friendly. We ended up playing crokay and having a blast! They had tons of of food and yummy pies. You have to stay here if you travel RT 66 it's a must see! I plan on staying again when i take a float trip in sept 2013

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2013

June 2013 we flew into St. Louis to see the Arch on our way to Branson, MO. I originally booked one of the chain hotels along the interstate. I was checking the photos on Google Maps for things to see and I noticed that Interstate 44 took the same basic path as old Route 66. I then searched for a hotel on the parts of the original highway that was not turned into I44. I found and booked the suite at the Wagon Wheel Motel. This room is larger than most of the rooms they have and has a little kitchenette. On the drive we exited the interstate early, got on Route 66, and played Get Your Kicks on Route 66 and other appropriate songs as we drove down the little highway into Cuba, MO.
The hotel is completely restored, very clean and really fun to stay at. I recommend this hotel highly. It was much more fun than staying at a basic interstate hotel. The town of Cuba is full of really well done wall murals and just up the road is the largest rocking chair in the world.

Room Tip: If you have a family get the suite.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ColoradoFamilyDenver
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cuba
Days Inn & Suites Cuba
#2 of 6 in Sullivan
Hampton Inn Rolla
Hampton Inn Rolla
#1 of 13 in Rolla

Been to Wagon Wheel Motel? Share your experiences!