“Prisoner of War or Extended Stay?”

Extended Stay America - St. Louis - Westport - Craig Road
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Creve Coeur
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Please next time give me a tiger cage and a gun.

Room Tip: Bring chloroform if you intend to sleep
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - St. Louis - Westport - Craig Road, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I am appreciative that you took the time to review our St. Louis, Craig Road property. I am sorry that you did not feel safe. I will work with the team to improve our service at this location.

Thank you again and if you want to provide further feedback to me, please contact me at rmorris@extendedstay.com. Wishing you safe travels in the future. Best regards, Rebecca Morris

Reviewed October 17, 2013

I am a travel agent and get discounts through several hotel chains, but I was in need of a suite with a separate bedroom so that my daughter would have her own private sleeping area. My husband and I live locally, but like to stay away from home some weekends, and I also have a few clients that travel for business and have inquired about this hotel chain, so I figured I would check it out to see if I would recommend it. I noticed that there were listings for "studio suites" and "deluxe suites", so I called to ask the difference and was informed that if I rented a deluxe suite, it would have a bedroom. There were no travel agent discounts offered, but I did have a promo code that took a little bit off of the cost. You have to pay the full amount upfront and then have your card reimbursed the promo difference at checkout. When I arrived, the suite did not have a bedroom. I was given a smoking room as requested, but there were no ashtrays and I had to go back down to the front desk, then I had to find a member of the housekeeping staff in the hallway for a trash can, and also make another trip to the front desk for linens/blankets for the sofa sleeper. The kitchen was equipped with one plate and 2 bowls, no cups, no utensils, etc. as stated in the description. The complimentary Wi-fi worked excellent, and my daughter was able to stream Netflix on her Kindle with no problem. The room had a strange odor, but I just assumed that was something meant to decrease the smell of smoke, and we got used to it pretty fast, so it wasn't a big deal. We ended up hanging a blanket to make a partition so that we could have as much privacy as possible under the circumstances. I was told before check-in that I could do a 1pm checkout and that it would be notated, however we were woken at 10am by the housekeeping staff, and then I was disturbed again an hour later mid-shower by the front desk personnel knocking on the door to confirm the late checkout request. Had I known there was not an actual bedroom in this suite, I could have gotten a better deal on a room through many of the hotel chains that offer me deep discounts. I was very disappointed because privacy was a huge issue, which is why I called to ensure I would have a bedroom, so this pretty much ruined the romantic night my husband and I had planned after our daughter was asleep, which was why we rented the room in the first place. I mentioned the difference in the description at the front desk, but they just nonchalantly told me they only had one room with a bedroom and it would be available at some point in November.

Room Tip: Make sure it specifically says "1 Bedroom Suite" if you need a separate bedroom, do not re...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - St. Louis - Westport - Craig Road, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I sincerely apologize that the room did not have a separate bedroom like you thought it would as well as missing the ashtray and the linens for the sofa sleeper. I met with the staff, and we will make sure ashtrays and linens will be in the room to ensure that missing these items is not repeated.

The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at swp@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

I spent two weeks at Extended Stay America/Westport and had a very pleasant stay. The room was on the ground floor but still well lit. The ground floor view is of the parking lot, but I didn't expect great vistas in the middle of Creve Coeur. The hotel is next to a Hardees and a gas station, but it is quiet and access is easy. Check-in was easy and everything (including the money that would be credited back to my card upon check-out) was fully explained.The hotel has a minimalist, free breakfast every morning. It is nothing special by any means, but it is adequate. Actually, it is more than I expected from a place that has kitchens in every room.

The room was clean and well arranged. It could use "refreshing" but wasn't dirty per se. There were stains on the carpet, the sofa, and some marks on the walls, and the drapes were obviously old, but everything was clean. There was a full kitchen including a full size refrigerator that kept things very cold, a four burner stove with an oven, a microwave, and a kitchen sink. It included basic cooking utensils and a coffeemaker, but you had to buy coffee to use just as you had to buy your own food for meals. Everything worked, though the oven door hit the fridge door if you tried to open both at the same time. There also was a counter in the kitchen for either food prep or eating.

The bed was very comfortable. The couch also converted to a bed, but I didn't use it. The TV had about 30 channels, but it was enough. It included three Showtime channels, all of the local channels, and a good number of other cable channels (like Syfy and Lifetime, etc.). Most of the time the room was quiet, but I will say that for two days I could hear the people above me stomping around. I'm not sure why they were noisier than others who stayed in that room.

The staff was really helpful and friendly. The parking lot was being repaved during my last two days. They came to my room to ask me to move my car for repaving, which was no problem except that I parked a bit of a walk from my room. When it came time to leave, Kevin, one of the staff, noticed I walk with a limp and asked if he could help me load my car. Not only that, he opened up the lot for me, let me move my car (on the newly paved lot) to a door right by my room. After I was packed up he lifted the ropes around the lot and let me out.

This is an extended stay hotel, so you don't get clean towels every day and they don't make your bed for you. But you can get clean towels at any time by taking your dirty towels to the desk and exchanging them for fresh ones. So it is no big deal.

The hotel is very close to Westport Plaza and is nicely located between St. Charles and St. Louis city, so it was a great choice for me since I had business in both places. About fifteen minutes to St Charles New Town and fifteen minutes to the Delmar Loop.

I didn't bring shampoo, toothpaste, etc., but there is a Schnucks market nearby and you can get everything you need there. I also had to buy hangers since none were in the room for me to use on my stay. I only paid about thirty per night so I am not going to complain at all. (Rates also get cheaper as you stay longer, so this would be a great place for a long stay.) The room was light and airy. I had an end unit so I had two windows, one facing North and one facing East.

The hotel has free wireless internet, and you can purchase an upgrade. I went with the basic internet and it was fine. The signal was strong enough (four of five "bars") and was quick enough for most things, but I wouldn't try streaming Netflix without purchasing the faster package. You must both enter a code and then open a browser and agree to terms. This was a bit tricky on my phone, but simple on my laptop. I didn't have to do it again during my stay once I got onto the network. It was plenty fast enough for me to file reports, etc., during my stay, and certainly fast enough for regular browsing and email.

Room Tip: End units have two windows which makes them feel larger. This hotel has no elevator, so choose a gro...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - St. Louis - Westport - Craig Road, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. Please accept our apologies that there were no hangers in the room you stayed in. Still, we are happy to know that we were able to enjoy your stay at our hotel and liked our kitchen as well as our cable selection and grab and go breakfast. I am also happy to hear that our location was ideal for your stay.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Easy access to highways, comfortable bed, half hour from downtown.
Grab and go breakfast not lavish but sufficient. Excellent day staff - pleasant and helpful even when they couldn't find our Priceline reservation.
Slightly dingy but great bang for your buck... We got the room for $32.

Room Tip: Go through Priceline
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - St. Louis - Westport - Craig Road, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to write such a fantastic review. I am glad to read that you were pleased with our excellent staff,comfortable bed, grab and go breakfast as well as easy access location off the highway and close proximity to downtown.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

A 2* hotel? More like a 1* apartment (and a filthy one at that). Checked in and hotel had an odor and room was absolutely filthy. Bloody fingerprints on the wall, stains on the carpet, dirty bathroom, etc. Booked thru Priceline so nothing can be done. Considering just leaving and losing out on the $48 I paid.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - St. Louis - Westport - Craig Road, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Your review for our hotel was recently brought to my attention. I am so disappointed that the cleanliness of your room was not up to our standards. There is no excuse for the dirty bathroom and the stains on the carpet and walls. Please accept my apologies. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I am going to work with housekeeping staff to make sure they inspect rooms after they clean to make sure they do not miss items like this in the future. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. To discuss further, or if you have any questions, please contact me at swp@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Not sure where to begin.

1.The hallway had an odor.
2.Two big dead bugs on the floor.
3.Loud air conditioner unit "right" next to the bed.
4. Reserved online, which even states a guaranteed reservation, but then received a call 2 hrs later telling me our reservation was cancelled due to no rooms. Had to re book at another location and hope the same thing did not happen.
5. I reserved at a discounted price but when I checked out, I was still charged the full price.

The grounds was impressive upon arrival. Excellent professionalism by the front desk! Very prompt and courteous. I left a comment with the hotel and I am truly hoping someone from management contacts me.

It was a cheap hotel but that was truly an uncalled for experience.

• Stayed: July 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - St. Louis - Westport - Craig Road, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Terry - I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. We appreciate the kind comments about the Front Desk Staff and the grounds; however, we apologize that your room was unclean and that there was an odor in the hallway. To prevent this from happening again, my team is going to inspect our guest rooms more closely and be sure to eliminate any odors that might permeate our hotel.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. I would like to correct the billing issue you described, so please reach out to me at swp@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Arrived at facility 7p last night, had to wait at front desk for the young lady to finish her very chipper and animated cell phone conversation that was obviously not work related. After several minutes, was finally checked in...no elevator! Ok, no problem...not supposed to be lifting, here for medical appointments, but carefully carry my things up flights of stairs to the top floor...whole top floor is obviously NOT nonsmoking! I go ahead and open up my room....hoping I'm wrong and it doesn't smell horrible....and find the most disgusting hotel room I have ever seen. Moldy food, piles of garbage, filthy linens, liquor bottles...see photos....I get in touch with the front desk clerk, who is alone at the facility....no one to clean a room, no other nonsmoking rooms available....No clean rooms available...I am left without a place to stay. Clerk is no help, manager is "an hour away and not coming in" and "no one else is available. " in the meantime, the front desk clerk is suddenly having "a miscarriage" and is busy trying to call the free world on her cell phone and is back in an alcove at a desk trying to avoid me, because the manager apparently isn't coming, and she has no idea what to do. NEVER AGAIN. Some things are worth spending a little money on, I gave up on trying to get them to change me to another area facility or help me in any way after an hour of standing in their filthy lobby....and drove down the road to a Hilton Garden Inn. NEVER AGAIN.

Room Tip: ....go elsewhere
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - St. Louis - Westport - Craig Road, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Shalliha - I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am so sorry that our staff was not attentive to your needs and you had several issues with our guest rooms. In response to your comments, I am working with the housekeeping staff to improve our cleaning standards and procedures moving forward. As well, I am coaching our front desk staff on how to provide great customer service to ensure your experience is not repeated.

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at swp@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Creve Coeur
Extended Stay America - St. Louis - Westport - Central
Red Roof Inn St. Louis Westport
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. Louis Westport Plaza
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. L...
#2 of 18 in Maryland Heights
#1 of 1 in Tesson Ferry
Days Inn - ST. Louis/Westport MO
Days Inn - ST. Louis/Westport MO
#9 of 18 in Maryland Heights

Been to Extended Stay America - St. Louis - Westport - Craig Road? Share your experiences!