“booked online, reservation changed before i got there”

Extended Stay America - St. Louis - Westport - Craig Road
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Creve Coeur
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I booked a basic room at a Studio Plus in St. Louis, specifically non smoking for 3 nights roughly 5 days before the arrival date. While I'm driving to St. Louis I got several calls from Studio Plus. The first call said that they had changed my reservation to a sister property, Extended Stay America and gave me the address. No problem, I wrote down the address and reprogrammed the GPS. At that point I was still 400 miles away. An hour later I got a voice mail from the same person saying that they found someone checking out and moved me back to the StudioPlus site. I didn't trust this so I called and got some else at the property and that person said that no, this was not correct, I was still rebooked at the 2nd property. I confirmed that this was a non smoking room, guy says yes. OK, no problem. 7 hours later, roughly, I arrive at the property. Yes, they have my reservation but they don't have any non smoking rooms and none of the properties in their ENTIRE ST. LOUIS chain have non smoking rooms available..... so i calmly ask what they are going to do.... and the very nice counter lady says that there is nothing that they can do.... so I calmly ask to have her cancel my reservation and when she is done ask her for the internet key so that I can sit in their parking lot, at 7PM, and find another hotel to stay at. btw, I do roughly 150 nights per year in hotel stays... so much for this chain.... 2 strikes after a 550 mile drive means you lose...

Room Tip: stay at another chain
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Mark S
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - St. Louis - Westport - Craig Road, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2012

Mark,

I recently received a copy of your review of the Studio Plus St. Louis - Westport. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

I am eager to address your particular concern in this forum. Our hotel is a favorite accommodation for business and leisure travelers who are staying any number of nights. Occasionally, we get an influx of guests who need to leave their departure date open or extend their stay at the last minute. In most cases, our reserve rooms are sufficient to absorb this increased demand. However, in very rare circumstances, like yours, we don't have the room types to accommodate every guest's preference. For that reason, we list your bed/smoking preference on your reservation but are unable to guarantee it. Of course, we will continue to make every effort in our power to honor your room preference.

It's not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that we were not able to accommodate you, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) brand location in the future.

Reviewed March 15, 2012

The only reason that I gave this facility a rating of "one" is that TripAdvisor does not allow a rating of "zero." The only word that comes to mind while staying at this facility is HORRIBLE!!! By the way, when I phoned the facility directly to inquire before booking online, I was told that the "front door" locks at 11pm -- what they failed to tell me is that the "back door" has NO locking mechanism on the door whatsoever (NOT even a latch is in place on that door)!

The ONLY good thing I can say is that the staff was pleasant.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Yankee-Views
Reviewed February 1, 2011

The service is great, the room is just the right size and is awesome. Great location. Desk people are helpful and friendly. There's a gas and convenience store near by, and so many sights to see.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank BlueSkies2011
Reviewed October 23, 2009

I hate to say it but I'm a little bit of a hotel snob. I don't have the budget to stay at the priciest places but I have come to prefer the Marriott brand over the years and enjoy earning points for "free" stays. I rarely stay at "budget" type places because we usually travel for relaxation and spend a lot of time in the room, and we want to make sure the room will be up to our standards and nothign shocking (e.g. Marriott mattresses seem pretty standard, slightly firm).

We were traveling to St. Louis for a wedding in downtown Clayton and we arrived late Thursday night. We figured why pay for a full night at the fancier hotel in Clayton when we could just stop here, sleep and check in early at the other hotel. I must say, after a full day of driving, we were quite disappointed at this place. We stopped at a rest stop and made the reservations just about an hour before we arrived on our laptop. The pictures look different than the property of course. I was shocked at the rate of $40 per night. I didn't think it could be really bad - we were staying in Westport, after all, which I heard was pretty ritzy.

Driving up to the hotel, it looked scary. The lot was dark, and there were a few guys randomly walking around the lot and one guy standing in front of the front door just "waiting". I went in and the front desk was merely a small window with an open part, as if she was a bank teller at a very impersonal credit union. The clerk was rude, as if I was obviously interrupting her internet surfing. We could even pay in cash and she didn't even ask for a credit card. Not good, that's a red flag.

We had a lot of stuff, including gifts for the wedding that we were a part of. The lot was so dark considering the guys standing around, the obvious signs saying they were NOT responsible for lost/stolen items, and the fact that we drive a soft-top Jeep - these were all signs saying we should unpack EVERYthing just for this 10 hour stay. Normally we're not that concerned but this didn't feel right. After we got everything out, we realized we were on the 2nd floor and there were no elevators. Doh! Well, the nice guys who were talking on their cell phones in another language held the doors open for us so we could lug our way up to the 2nd floor...I don't think they understood much English for when we thanked them, but I'm sure they figured it out. My husband had just had minor surgery and stitches 2 days prior so he couldn't carry anything very heavy....so it was my job to carry most of the luggage.

The room was small and had a full kitchen but our initial shock at how very plain and dirty the room felt made us uncomfortable - we didn't dare use the kitchen, especially the utensils. The room just felt dirty, that's all I could say. It felt dusty, smelled like Play-doh and there were dead little bugs in the bathroom sink. The bathroom and all furniture was very chintzy and cheap as we expected but I just hate the initial "dirty" feeling. The room had obviously been smoked in recently. We didn't unpack anything that we didn't need to. I inspected the bed for bugs immediately. There was a very thin blanket and the bed was extremely soft. The latch on the door was broken, as if someone had recently broken in. We didn't bother to try to get another room because a) that would mean we'd have to lug everything around again, and also, how much better could the next room have been at 10pm?

We walked to the gas station that was very close for water, milk and cereal and we went to bed. Another concern that I had was the front desk called our room as we were trying to get a few minutes more rest asking us if we would be checking out at 11am or if we needed to extend our stay. Why would they bother us to call us an hour and 15 minutes before checkout to ask us if we wanted to stay another night? Wouldn't we call them for that? I find that a major distraction because the time we pay for the room is ours.

I am still going to say that I recommend this hotel only because it's cheap and it's not worth any more than $40 a night. I wouldn't go there for romance, relaxation or anything but just a place to sleep while traveling through.

The stay in general was very mediocre but hey - $40 is a rate that I would expect to have mediocre, can't really complain. I can't say I'd stay there again, but I have seen worse at a higher rate. For the approximate 12 hours that we stayed there, I'd say it was fair.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Naomi S
Reviewed July 8, 2009

This is by far the worst hotel ive stayed in my entire life. I was moved thrice in the first time of stay. There were bed bugs in 2 of the rooms and the receptionists refuse to help. You're on your own. Service is poor. Cockroaches in the kitchen... ITS A NIGHT MARE.. DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT STAYING HERE

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank udit15
Reviewed January 2, 2009

This hotel is so disgusting. Dont' even think about staying in this place. The floors were so dirty and unkept, there was hair from previous guests lingering all over the place. There was a pile of hair (from who knows how many previous guests) swept to the corner in the bathroom by the tub. The tub floor was BROWN. Yes brown!!! The linens were soiled and gross and had hair from prior guests. Housekeping is clearly not doing their job at this property. This is not to mention the stench in the hallways that linger as well. Laundry facility is a joke - three washers, one working (for weeks like this I was told by another guest). Two out of the 4 nights I stayed (I originally booked for 14 nights) the local police had to be called in to "manage" other guests staying at the hotel. When the local police have to make many visits, there is something terribly WRONG. Everyday I had to go to the front desk to get my room key working again. This was among other incidents that took place. I did could not even complete my stay, I ran out of there to a place $40 more a night and it was well worth it. Studio Plus is a definate MINUS. Stay outside on a park bench, its cleaner, safer and the park offers more amenities.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank AGoodSource
Reviewed July 2, 2008

Booked directly at the property at a monthly rate, after 30 days staying there the rate was higher than agreed upon and went up without notice during the stay.
Property common areas were dirty and unkept, carpets and furnishings were stained and dirty. Housekeeping service was not delivered as shown.
Stay the heck away from this!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Creve Coeur
Days Inn - ST. Louis/Westport MO
Days Inn - ST. Louis/Westport MO
#7 of 18 in Maryland Heights
Extended Stay America - St. Louis - Westport - Central
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. Louis Westport Plaza
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. L...
#2 of 18 in Maryland Heights
Best Western St. Louis Inn
Best Western St. Louis Inn
#1 of 1 in Tesson Ferry
Red Roof Inn St. Louis Westport
Days Inn ST. Louis Lindbergh Boulevard

Been to Extended Stay America - St. Louis - Westport - Craig Road? Share your experiences!