No photo provided
Add it.
Sweet Tomatoes
Cuisines: American
Reviewed May 2, 2014

We eat at any Sweet Tomatoes we see as we travel. Our first was in Tucson AZ and we loved it. Our second was in Orlando and it was still great. Something changed with this one. The salad bar was the same, but there seemed to be a lot less "other stuff". I thing that's the charm of the place - having the ability to try lots of things with little waste.

Not bad, but not our usual experience.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We like to eat at Sweet Tomatoes when we're out of town because they don't have them where we live. The variety and quality here were typical of others I have gone too. Everything on the salad bar was fresh. My kids loved the mac and cheese. My only minor problem was that it did not seem they would bring out more foccacia bread pizza until there was only about 1 dry toppingless edge piece left that no one wanted, so it would have been nice if they replaced it sooner. But once they brought out a new one, it was very good. My family always loves to build their own sundaes at the end.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

This is one of my favorite restaurants. I ask my husband to take me here about every three months or so. The Caesar salad is just wonderful. It is always very fresh and I love the slightly tangy dressing. The other prepared salads are usually excellent also. The breads and muffins are very yummy, too. The soup is usually good. It is a very nice buffet. We signed up to get the emails. The coupons make it a better value. The bus staff is always pleasant and efficient. They usually come around with freshly baked chocolate cookies, which is fun.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We try to match expectations to restaurant type and reasonable goals. So it was with the Sweet Tomatoes on Olive in St. Louis County. A quick, easy, self-made salad from ingredients tilted towards the cheap, some okay soup, some predictably oily and/or dry focaccia, some soft-serve.

Well, so much for having lowered expectations met. Our trip to this place was THE WORST restaurant experience we've had since encountering food poisoning at an archy place during the Big Power Outage six years ago.

We walked in and smelled dirty diapers. But we were hungry and kept going. With trays stuck to dirty counters, food slopped all over, nasty salad fixings (brown radishes, liquid tomatoes, and so on) and tainted-looking dressings, soups with scum and skin and layers of grease, wooden and unrisen focaccia, black and watery baked potatoes, staff shouting at each other or just standing around chatting, and, finally, bad-tasting food even where we carefully chose it, we decided to leave it all behind and starve.

Avoid this place if you have any self-respect - they don't care and show it. Why isn't the management doing something? No, we didn't ask to speak to a manager - this was beyond any desire to "make things right." The place is the worst stereotype of inner-suburban squalor come alive that we have seen in St. Louis. And that's saying a lot.

Disgusting. And that smell - how can they not notice a sewage issue, or the fact someone has been changing babies on a table?

1  Thank K M
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We have been going here for a while and we like it. For the three of us to eat here it is about $30. The only downside is that their selection of soups has decreased over the years, but overall pretty good.