“Dirtiest and most outdated hotel we've ever stayed at”

Sonesta ES Suites St. Louis
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Creve Coeur
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Let me preface this review by stating that my husband travels almost weekly for business in Sales and is a Holiday Inn Platinum Priority Club member of which Staybridge Suites is part of the Holiday Inn or IHG family. Often times he travels alone, but this time, unfortunately I traveled with him. We love to stay at Staybridge Suites. They have always been consistant in providing a clean, spacious suite and nice amenities for travelers who need more than a simple room - either for an extended stay, to accommodate families with the option of multiple bedrooms or for business travelers like ourselves who need to work some from their hotel, then relax after a long day. We also travel quite a bit for pleasure and are easy to please - realizing we are not at home and staying at a hotel. . We have never complained before, even after I found a half-eaten sandwhich one time in a bathroom....interesting!

We arrived at the hotel at 10:00pm after a 10 hour drive from Minneapolis, and noticed they must have been doing some remodeling, due to all the junk (as it turned out to be roofing materials) all over. Upon checking in, my husband was told they were re-roofing but it shouldn't be a problem. We were "upgraded" to a 2 bedroom suite but were paying their standard rate of $140.00 a night for a single bedroom suite. When we entered our room, the first thing we noticed was all the black "stuff" on the inside door and on the wall to the left.........mold or mildue perhaps.....not sure but gross! The white? (it probably was at one time) kitchen counter was stained with something red. The 4 burner electric stove had one burner sticking up....not sure why. We entered one bedroom to find fingerprints all over the mirrored closet doors. The furniture was outdated......chunks missing from sides of the dressers for example, very old, dirty carpet, uncomfortable beds, cracks in the bathrooms, tube TV's and the "suite" looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a LONG TIME. We were both exhausted from the long drive and crawled into bed.......me in my clothes because I seriously wondered about the bedding.

The next morning, my husband left early for sales calls and I thought I'd check out the outdoor pool because the forecast was for temperatures in the 100's and was one of the reasons we chose this hotel. The pool was closed due to the hotel roofing/construction - too bad they didn't tell us when we arrived or had a note on their website, I walked around the grounds and noticed how in disrepair the hotel was....gouges in wooden steps and siding. This hotel needs MUCH more than new roofs.

Since there was no place for me to spend outdoors, I spent the day in our room. I had trouble with the tube tv's......one of the changers didn't work. When my husband returned, we went to their evening reception, hoping to grab a beer and perhaps a snack. The "bar-b-que" looked dried out and disgusting - served simply with chips. We decided it was safer to "pass", but thought we'd grab a beer from the keg in a cooler sitting out since it was 113 degrees. My husband was told the keg wasn't working........to which he responded "what does work around here". The staff member apologized but agreed with our frustration.

We spent the next night there, simply because it was close to a sales call my husband had to make the following morning, and knowing we would be leaving that day. My husband complained to the Sales Director/Manager who was apologetic but seemed surprised when he told him this was the filtiest hotel he'd ever stayed in and cited the specifics.

This hotel will no longer be part of the Holiday Inn organization as of August, 2012, and we understand why. It is FAR below any of the other Holiday Inn hotels we've stayed at including Holiday Inn Expresses.

We will never be back to this hotel, would never recommend this hotel to others and have complained to IHG Corporate. There are too many hotels to choose from, and many vacancies due to the economy to settle for a dirty, outdated hotel. Do better homework than I did when booking this hotel and find something better....we will when we return to St. Louis in a couple of weeks.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank zsazsamom
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Sonesta ES Suites St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

Dear zsazsamom,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. We apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced with the services as well as the quality of our property. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we hope that you will still choose to stay at IHG hotels in your future travels.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

There are newer reviews for Sonesta ES Suites St. Louis

Reviewed June 23, 2012

I really wanted to write this review for any families who were planning to travel to St. Louis. Let me start by saying that we are a pretty typical mid-western family. My husband and I are in our very early 40's, and our kids are 17, 15, 8, and 6. Our idea of a 5-star hotel differs from the normal classification during this time of our lives.

We traveled to St. Louis for a family vacation in 6/2012. It was my husband and I, our 15 year old son and his best friend, also 15, our 8 and 6 year old, and a Border Collie. We were looking for function over fashion on this trip, as we would be staying for four nights and doing lots of sight-seeing.

We chose the Staybridge because it has a living room, FULL kitchen, two bedrooms and bathrooms, a pool, free breakfast, and during the week, free light dinner. We were also able to bring our dog for a small fee.

We were in Building 7, toward the back, on the ground floor.

Could the suite have used a tad updating? Sure. Was it spotless? No. Did it need a little paint touch-up here and there. Yes. Was it the perfect place to stay for us? YES.

Check-in was a breeze. We completely unpacked and felt like we were staying in someone else's condo for a few days. We brought enough food to cook in the suite (hot dogs, breakfast foods, sandwich stuff, mac and cheese, lasagna, etc.) Everything we needed was in the kitchen for our use. The beds were VERY comfortable. The "master" bedroom had a huge walk-in closet that held all our extra stuff. The other bedroom was on the other side of the living room, so our older boys could stay up if they wanted and not disrupt us.

This Staybridge is about 20-30 minutes from everything you want to do. We went to the Arch, City Museum, the zoo, Turtle Playground, and Magic House. We ate dinner at Fitz's. We drove right past the Science Center several times. Yes, we could have stayed 20-30 minutes closer to the Arch and been closer to the attractions, but we would have paid at LEAST as much as we did for this Staybridge hotel, and had only one room with two beds crammed in it. We also would have had to eat our meals out all the time. To us, it was much more economical to stay outside the city. We only used 1/4 tank of gas in our Suburban the whole time we were here.

The pool was great. And there was a hot tub. The food was fine. Not top-notch, but definitely fine for our family. Breakfast had homemade waffles, eggs, and a hot protein, yogurt, fruit, toast, bagels, and cereal. The light dinners were tacos, bbq sandwiches (so good), hot wings. Good enough for us!

We asked for no housekeeping, and the front desk gave us anything we asked for, anytime we asked (like towels, trash bags, etc.)

The only downfall was that when we arrived there was a note that the building was to have it's roof re-shingled while we were there and they were "sorry for the inconvenience". Work was to be from 9-5, however it started more like 8:15 a.m. Now .... this did not bother us. We were up and around by the time the work started, and we were on the bottom floor. HOWEVER, if I would have been on the top floor, or if I would have been needing to sleep in a bit, I would have been FURIOUS! There was no prior notification. In my opinion, the hotel should have contacted each of it's customers ahead of time, or offered a discount. If I was upset about this, I would be getting a significant discount, I guarantee it! As it was, however, it didn't really disrupt us (other than we had to pick up many nails out of the parking lot and sidewalk so that we didn't end up with one in our tire or in the foot of one of our kids or dog.)

If you are a family who is not snooty about where you will or will not stay, the Staybridge is the hotel for you. We were very comfortable here and felt like we were at a "home away from home". I would highly recommend it for your family, and we will stay in Staybridges for our family vacations from now on.

Room Tip: I would certainly as for Building 7 or 8, 17 or 18. They are in the back, away from the main road an...
3  Thank nicole2845
Reviewed June 20, 2012

This hotel is a very good value especially if you're traveling with family. Upon check-in, the staff was friendly. We had 2 adults and 1 child and we stayed in a 2 bedroom 2 bath suite (went June 13-15). it's very spacious and clean. I slept well and the beds were very good because I was a little fearful of that. I really appreciated the fact of not having to share a bathroom as they are connected to each room. There's also a full kitchen with everything you need pots, silverware, plates, glasses, etc. We didn't actually cook but we did have somewhere to store our leftovers and were able to reheat them. We got this hotel at a rate of $101 per night which is good for everything you get in my opinion. Another plus is the free breakfast, you get the usual fruit, muffins, bagels, juice, coffee, yogurt, and there's a make your own waffle machine. The waffles are huge! This hotel also offers a "social meeting" if you stay Tuesdays-Thursdays. During the social meeting, they served free beer and wine and light appetizers (we had grilled hamburgers). One drawback is the location. We went to the zoo and Six Flags and it took every bit of 30 minutes to get to these attractions. If the traffic is heavy it might be a little longer. So if you want to see the sites but stay here without a car you might be in trouble. I know they do offer a shuttle but I'm not sure where it goes and didn't bother to check since we had a vehicle. Anyways, long story short, I would definitely stay here again and recommend to others :-)

Reviewed June 17, 2012

We (3 adults, 1 infant) found the two bedroom suite to be roomy and clean; although, dated. We got a rate of $109 per night, which was, in my opinion, decent for the space that we had in our room. The location isn't directly off the Interstate - it's a little more "off the beaten path" than I would have liked. The pool was overly crowded and very, very cloudy (this could possible be due to the amount of sunscreen being washed away). One member of our party braved the pool with the infant, but the the other two refused to even dip a toe into the water. Our room was quiet and comfortable. We all thought the breakfast offered was a good variety. We would definitely stay there again for the same price, but probably wouldn't pay much more.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Stayed with family (4) June 1-4---Staff was very nice. grounds well kept -first time staying at a Staybridge and was very satisfied with price vs size---No flat screen TV's but not a big deal for me-comfortable beds-closet surprisingly almost as big as the bathroom- breakfast items -various choices-hoping to see more Staybridges in the Midwest.

Reviewed May 5, 2012

Just finished a two week stay for a business trip. Based on the mixed reviews, I was hesitant to stay here. However, overall I was satisfied with my stay but would probably choose a different hotel next time I am in the area.

I got a rate of $95 based on an extended stay and advance pay rate. There were many hotels in the nearby area and I feel I probably could have chosen I nicer hotel for a similar rate.

This hotel appears to be a converted apartment complex. It is separated into several buildings with all rooms having exterior entrances. The buildings and grounds could use some maintenance for visual appeal.

My room was on the back side of the building on the ground floor. The view out my window was of a fence separating the hotel property from the neighboring property. You would think someone staying two weeks could get a nicer view. The walls and floors are apparently thin as you can hear ever movement of the guests above and beside you.

All the rooms are suites so you have the bedroom, living room, and kitchen which is convenient and feels a little like home for an extended stay. The bed was extremely comfortable and the curtains kept the room very dark which made for a great sleep. The kitchen and living room were sufficient but could stand to be updated to be more modern. The bathroom was not so good as the floor and walls were dirty. It was also small and had an odor that reminded me of a public restroom.

The hotel provided free breakfast, an afternoon social on Tues-Thurs, free laundry, and a small fitness area. There is also a sports court and outdoor pool.

Stayed: May 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Sonesta ES Suites St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2012

Dear HowlforVacation,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. We are glad to see that you left some feedback on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations. We are deeply sorry for any inconveniences you have experienced. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. We are hospitality professionals and strive to be the best. Your comments will be looked into.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed April 19, 2012

First, I have to tell you that I'm not a big fan of those stay in a Suite and make your own bed and reuse your towel places. Some of them are just plain sordid ... Staybridge Suites St. Louis was a good place to stay...we'd do it again because we got a really good deal on the price. Price makes a lot of little things alright. :)

This property is located in Creve Coeur. It is very close to Maryland Heights just off Page Rd. I-270 is convenient, but not so convenient you can hear it. That was really good. The surrounding neighborhood is a mixture of residential and commercial. There are lush yards and beautiful trees. The grounds of this Suites establishment are well kept and lush. It really made me happy to walk from the room to the front office because everything was so beautiful and well-kept. The property itself is like an apartment complex. It's an extended stay kind of place. Let me address some of the things that were important to me:

1. Parking. The parking was ample. There was a spot for each unit and as long as people parked in one spot, there was ample parking. When the property was completely sold out, I had to park about 100 yards away. I can accept that if the lots are well lit -- they were.

2. Amenities. I have to tell you that this place had some nice stuff. The soap, the shampoo, the towels, the coffee, the cups, the whole deal was nice. I think a nice touch was the Wolfgang Puck coffee. My wife says it was especially good. :)

3. Bathroom: The bathroom wasn't anything to write home about, but it was nice. It was kind of needing some TLC, but it wasn't offensive. There was a tub and a shower combination with the toilet. The sink and mirrors were outside the door.

4. The Room: The room was nice. There was a full sized kitchen. There was a little table and a bar to eat. There was a couch and a chair. There was a separate bedroom with a door that would close. There was a rather large closet. The bed was well appointed and was comfortable enough. It was queen sized with ample pillows. There was a desk and free internet that was sufficiently fast. Over all the place was nice. The selection of cable television channels was OUTSTANDING. The televisions were old CRT tube type and need to be replaced ASAP! They worked, but the place could be so much better with a couple of 32" televisions. The TVs didn't have all of that HOST menu and advertisement junk on it. They even furnished an old combination VCR/DVD player.

5. Other Stuff: The receptionist was very nice and made me feel welcome. We were assigned a smoking room -- and it was almost unbearable. Since there were no other rooms, we made due. A housekeeping person named Dan brought us a bottle of good odor neutralizer and left it with us. It helped us combat the smoke smell. We asked what to do and where to go in case of a tornado warning and he calmly explained it all to us. The people were a class act at the place. The breakfast in the morning was ample and offered good stuff. We ate there all four days we stayed. The computer room was very functional and had a working printer and two computers that worked well. I was impressed that there was a good business center with all the families at the place.

Finally, we enjoyed our stay here. I'd do it again. It would be well worth the price of admission for a family that wanted to prepare its own food ... lots of silverware, plates, glasses, cups, etc. Just a good experience. If they'd redo the smoking rooms ... I think they'd have a 4-star place.

I hope this review helps you.

Room Tip: I think all of the rooms are pretty close in quality. I would definitely get a ground floor room ne...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank samgraham
Also consider these accommodations in or near Creve Coeur
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. L...
#1 of 17 in Maryland Heights
The Chase Park Plaza
#37 of 121 in Saint Louis
La Quinta Inn & Suites St. Louis...
#2 of 17 in Maryland Heights
Downtown
Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch

Been to Sonesta ES Suites St. Louis? Share your experiences!