“Great desk clerk”

Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Columbia
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great desk clerk”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Really nice guy checked me in at night and asked if I had a room preference. I looked confused, no one had asked me that before and he said, "I will put you away from the highway, it is quieter." I thought that was so sweet! The hotel was clean, inexpensive and right off the highway. Great place to stop on the way.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank behindeverycloud

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Iberia, MO
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Very good business mans hotel, Staff is thorough but not happy. Sounds weird but I like a little bit of cheerful after working on the road. Breakfast is good and the coffee is wonderful. I had a King bed in my room and I woke up hurting both night I stayed there. I think this mattress was worn out.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 1st or 2nd floor and you won't have to fight the elevator
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Brian P
Columbia, MO
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This experience happened 10 years ago, but it has made me a loyal Hampton Inn patron. I stayed at this Hampton Inn on Thanksgiving night and was only 100 miles away from my destination so I planned to stay in the room until checkout time and watch television. A nasty storm moved in and the cable went out and stayed out so I decided to check out. When the desk clerk asked how my stay was I decided to level with him and told him of my disappointment with not being able to stick around a couple of hours and watch television. He apologized and asked if I would like a full refund. Knowing that the weather was totally out of the hotel's control I couldn't believe such a generous offer (although I had seen ads that said a pleasant stay was guaranteed). I said "yes" and he proceeded to ring the bill up at no charge. I was so impressed that I wrote the manager a note describing the incident and, get this, the manager wrote back thanking me for my stay and my communication with him. He said he had shared my note with the front desk staff and explained that what I encountered is one of the reasons Hampton Inn had their pleasant stay guarantee. The whole thing sold me on Hampton Inns and I stay there whenever that is a viable option. I've always found the rooms to be clean, quiet, comfortable, and stocked with an abundant supply of hot water. That's all I'm looking for in a hotel room and they provide it. Why look elsewhere? The free breakfast is just frosting on the cake.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 18, 2012

The rooms were clean, just fine. A typical Hampton Inn.
However, the person at the front desk was a little bit rude. I had been traveling a long ways and been using a file with my information for payment. Every other hampton had let me use that file, however the particular desk man told me "Every Hampton is different" and forced me to put a card on hold.
The location is also very awkward; the whole area is built on a sloping hill, making entry and exit of the hotel and area very difficult. If I were you, I would stay at the other Hampton near the university. The pro of this one however is if you're on a road trip and staying just a night, it's right off the highway.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MarkHolden1975
Patrick P, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
MarkHolden1975,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at our property. While I am glad to hear you found your room clean, it is dissapointing that you did not get the service from our front desk teammate that you expect and desrve. Please accept my apologies as it is unacceptable to me that any our guests leave us feeling the way you did.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly to discuss your issue at my contact information below. We accept cash at check in or a valid credit card presented to the front desk at check in for payment of rooms. I am not sure what you mean by having a file with your information as a form of payment so I would like the opportunity to discuss that with you.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your review and I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Patrick Presnal
presnal@raymondteam.com
573-886-9392
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Okay, so it's Columbia, MO after a long day's drive and I walk into to lobby to be greeted by "old friends" in possession of my reservation. Absoutely everything was outstanding!

1- Check-in was flawless. 2 - Room was clean and fresh. 3 - Shower was clean with plenty of hot water. 4 - Breakfast (for free) was delicious and cheerfully presented. 5 - Checkout was effortless.

We will definately be back!!!

Room Tip: Last two weekends in July are horribly busy! Their advertised "free" breakfast is more th...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mark c
Poplar Bluff, Missouri
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Took my girls softball team here for the Show Me State Games July 21st and 22nd and stayed here at the Hampton Inn. My hats off to the staff because not only was my team there the hotel but around 3 or 4 teams were their the hotel was sold out Friday and Saturday.

The Rooms were typical hampton inn rooms, very clean. The bathrooms have been remolded and are very nice and clean. We ate a hot breakfast at the hotel both mornings, the staff did a wonderful job keeping everything stocked and cleaned. Pool is a little small and indoors but it is open 24/7. The property is located around good returants and stores. I would stay here again on our next visit to Columbia, MO

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank JMOOREEllsinore
Kentucky
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Excellent attention to detail here. Good breakfast in a decent sized room. Elevator provided to 2nd and 3rd floors. 1st and 2nd floor both have walk out availability, depending on which side of the building you park on, only the 3rd floor requires you be upstairs and use an elevator or steps.

Room Tip: Get a room on the first or second floor. Both have access to walk out to the parking lot, depending...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business