“Not the best Holiday Inn I've seen” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Executive Center - Columbia

Holiday Inn Executive Center - Columbia
Ranked #19 of 35 Hotels in Columbia
STL
“Not the best Holiday Inn I've seen”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2007

My entire family stayed here recently for a wedding reception held at the hotel. Overall, this hotel did not live up to what I expect when staying at a Holiday Inn. The bed and linens were of a lesser quality than the last two holiday inns we stayed at. They weren’t the worst I’ve ever seen, but they could have spent less money on the plasma screen TVs and more on higher thread count bedding. There are a number of wings and it took us a few rounds to know how to navigate this place.

We had a large bathroom with a vanity, a plus for helping me get ready for the night, but I had to move the coffee maker to fully utilize it and when I did, I realized that no one had cleaned under that whole apparatus for some time. It was DIRTY and stained, but nothing a little bleach wouldn’t have removed. We also had consistent issues with getting our room door to open. We also had to run the key card two or three times each when trying to access the room.

We used express check-out so we had little dealings with the desk staff, but we were highly unimpressed by the behavior of the reception/catering staff. It was a wedding so naturally the whole production was behind schedule. That does not excuse the staff from complaining about it in within earshot of the guests. The menu sounded good, but we were expected to cut tough meat with butter knives and after I tasted it, realized it was not something I would feed my dog if she were in trouble. Read: bad, bad, bad food. We did not utilize any of the restaurants in the hotel, but my family reported enjoying the Sunday morning brunch.

While I have had worse hotel experiences, I would certainly consider other options before I would choose this hotel again.

• Liked — Easy to find
  • Disliked — Cleanliness & staff behavior
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2007

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for one night when we were in town for the Kenny Chesney concert. I booked the room through Destination Rewards and check-in/check-out was a breeze. The manager actually checked us in and was very nice. He gave us coupons for two free drinks in the bar (probably because I am a Priority Member), so we stopped by the bar before we took off for the pre-concert party. The bartender working in the bar was very nice and we heard a gentleman ask for a couple of drinks and the bartender said he would just charge them to his room. The man, who was very upset, said that his room wasn't ready yet, so the bartender gave him the drinks on the house for his inconvenience.Our room was ready when we arrived at 2:30 p.m. We were very pleasantly surprised to find that we had one of the executive rooms with the 42" plasma t.v.'s and the new king pillowtop mattress. I had heard the rooms were being renovated and we were lucky to have received one of those. The bed was very comfortable and we slept so well. The bathrooms are very small, which is really the only downfall. The shower had a massaging head and a fog-proof mirror in it. The shower had a curved shower curtain and there was a coffee maker with Wolfgang Puck coffee. However, the rooms are quite spacious. There was a chair, desk, dresser and night tables. The air worked well. We didn't use any of the other amenities or dine at the restaurant. We received our room receipt under the door the morning when we left. I noticed a charge for $1.93 on our bill. I called the front desk to inquire what it was for and was told that it covered misc. expenses such as high-speed internet and rapid check-out. I explained that the room was pre-paid and I was not told about those charges when we arrived. We didn't use any of the services, so the front desk clerk removed the charge. So just be aware of this. Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel, as long as you have one of the newly refurbished rooms. We will definitely stay at this hotel again any time we are in town for a Mizzou game or any other function.

• Liked — The pillow-top mattress and 42" plasma television
  • Disliked — The misc, charge on my bill upon check-out.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
8 Thank COMizzouFan
Belle River, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2007

This hotel has a great lobby and expensive resturants and a nice gift shop. I dont know if the resturants are any good since we did not try them. The hotel is close to the highway and the staff were very friendly. If you'd like to stay here, there is Ruby Tuesdays, near by which is very good place to eat, clean and great food good value.

But...I was not very happy with the room. They put us on the first floor, which in this hotel is the basement. We had a King bed with a door to the pool. The view was horrid. The pool area was under repair, the pool was empty the chairs etc not set up, very messy garbagey looking . I think the hot tub was working. The hallway to the room was dingy poorly lit and smelly. The room had wallpaper peeling, the rugs stained, the bathroom dingy. The towls, furniture etc where new but..yuk.

The TV remote did not work very well and when you did get it working there was little to choose from unless you were passionate about news/sports/dated movied. Worse choice of channels I've seen in a hotel for a long time.

The room had one ash tray, not a big deal if your not a smoker, but the ice bucket top was sticky and I had to ask for a new one. The bathroom was dingy, poorly lit and cheap scratchy toilet paper. There was dirt under the desk and ..somebodys left over bobbypin by the pool door.

The hotel offered only wireless internet so if you need a bridge to connect...forget it...

I called the front desk and asked for another room. I was told they did not have any smoking rooms left. They called house keeping to try to fix up the room a bit. Housekeeping told me that Missouri law said they were only allowed to have 12 smoking room/hotel. And they had none left. So if you're a smoker...book ahead..if you want to take the chance.

In their defense, they were rennovating and apparently our room was due to be udated next week. But really ....I have no idea what the other rooms are like and what we stayed in was awful.

It bothers me that the hotel knew that it was an awful room but, did nothing to make me feel any better about having to stay in the dumpy/dirty/creepy room, apprently on the verge of being rennovated. We had to stay in it. They said that was all that was left, in this apparently posh hotel. ( I booked the hotel room over month ago)

I was told that they are re-doing the rooms as time permits. If you are thinking of staying there make sure you get a remodeled room, but I have no idea what they are like. If you cant...dont waste your money. It was so unclean /dirty feeling I would not even shower there.

I have no idea of what the "remodeled rooms" are like but the place I stayed in was horrid.

• Liked — The Front desk Staff
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2007

This hotel has made some great physical improvements. They have changed furniture, replaced wallpaper and redone their bathrooms with marble! They are always extremely happy to do anything for you. I travel alot and have never been given the consistently outstanding sevice that this property does every time I am there. They have a nice breakfast buffet and coffee shop in the mornings and two dinner restaurants at night including a 5 diamond that is out of this world. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Smiling faces
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
7 Thank john7207
Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2007

This hotel was a great stay for us with few negatives.

First the good stuff:
The hotel staff was terrific! While I was checking in I even overheard the manager award an active Army serviceman a free upgrade just to say thanks for all our military was doing for us. The beds in the rooms were also terrific and very comfortable. The hotel has great facilities. Pool is adequate. Exercise room is by far one of the best equipped I have ever seen. Great coffee shop and there is even a Picadilly's restaraunt on grounds. But the best part of this property may be its central location across from the Columbia Mall. The hotel room also boasted THE BEST TV I HAVE EVER HAD IN ANY ROOM EVER!!! Huge Plasma! Great for watching the NCAA tourney!

However a few negatives: Room was clean but there was some staining on ceiling and walls. Rooms were a bit dated. And the room service which is ran by a sports bar and not the hotel was slow, rude, and a terrible overall eating experience. We simply ordered three medium well burgers...and all came back very, very red. And they forgot our appetizer. When we called to complain...they said there was nothing they coud do because they had closed the kitchen. To the hotel's credit though, I simply shared our story and they reimbursed meal without hesitation.

Overall, A great place to stay, but would be leary of doing room service again!

• Liked — PLASMA TV
  • Disliked — Room Service from the Sports Bar
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
6 Thank wesl3237
Northwest MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2006

It was a busy weekend with what appeared a kids soccer tourney, but we never heard kids in the halls, or doors slamming.
It was quiet hotel and staff professional. Check in is 4, but allowed us to check in at noon, since we were traveling farther east for the day and didn't want to leave luggage in the car. Clean room and lovely grounds and ample parking. Check out was heckic in the lobby, but they took care of us with smiles and quickly we were on our way.
I would recommend for a stay going through town, or if you are spending the weekend in town. Convenient to highway access and local attractions.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Tips/Secrets — If you are visiting Hermann (1 hr east of Columbia) don't bother. Not even worth it.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
6 Thank liha
Galveston, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2006

I had another very pleasant stay at this hotel. The hotel staff is very attentive and always make me feel welcome. The extra amenities they have including the pools, hot tub, huge exercise facilitiy and masseuse are wonderful options that I take advantage of. My most recent stay was over Show Me State games weekend and it was extremely busy but handled quite efficiently by the very professional staff. I would definitely reccommend this hotel to anyone traveling through central Missouri.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — having to go home
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business