“away from home” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #33 of 35 Hotels in Columbia
Columbia
“away from home”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

My favorite thing was the Monet print, Bathers at La Grenouillere, above our bed. This room was fine and the price was right. They said I had to write some more about it but really there is nothing else to say.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

GMColumbiaMO, Guest Relations Manager at Days Inn Columbia I-70, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Thank you for leaving a short but sweet comment; it really means a lot to us. We are glad that you were amused by our interiors. We stay affordable while providing quality service to our clients.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Washington, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

Hotel sits at a busy intersection.

Arrived a little early and they gave us our room. The lobby was full of nice leather furniture and a large flat screen t.v. mounted on the wall. We were shown to our room which was...hmmm cannot think of a "nice" word to describe it.
Went to front desk and asked for a room without mold in the tub, with a bedspread that wasn't shredded and were relocated to another room about 2 doors down the hall. Didn't really want to ask for yet another room but after a couple hours the rank smell of cigarettes had induced a major headache AND the mattress sloped downward at the headboard, so I went back to the front desk.
We were shown to a 3rd room, which smelled nice after the last room - so we took it. The man that moved us told us that we had been placed next to one of the only two rooms that allowed smoking. He informed us that the mattresses were new. After he left we joked between ourselves that maybe they were "new" used mattresses. No sooner did he leave and we tried to settle in than gnats started to fly around our heads and our drinks. We swatted and plotted and killed a few throughout the night, but there were still a couple flying around. No matter what, we were going stick out the night in this room.

We left for some shopping and dinner and when we got back we decided to use the indoor pool. It was heated but the outside doors had been left open so the area was very chilly. We closed the door as we were the only ones there. We also turned off an old portable radio that was cranked as loud as it would go that was tuned to a station that crackled and hissed. The floor around the pool was filthy - to be nice. We took off our flip flops at the pools edge and in that small frame of time our feet picked up so much debris that it floated away off our feet when we got in the pool. Very high levels of chlorine - so much so that it made your eyes water without ever getting your face wet.
After initial fears we decided to try out the hot tub. To get to the hot tub you must walk on porcelain tiles which are VERY slippery when your feet are wet. No handrails except for the one you hold onto going into the tub. Oh! Lest I forget there is something that resembles a "manhole" covering over the tile on the area in front of where you get into the tub, that makes you wonder why you decided to try it in the first place. In for a penny - we continued to get into the tub even after my husband nearly slipped and fell on the wet tile. To sit in one of the chairs in the hot tub, we had to remove a thick layer of mud. YUCK. And the jets didn't work. And the bathrooms were disgusting.

Stressed when we got back to the room we decided to stay in our "hole" of a room and leave as fast as possible the next morning.
The mattress was horrible and made sleeping an exercise in futility. The television was an old heavy duty thing that was set upon a low trunk-like chest of drawers - SO low you couldn't see the screen if you were in bed.

To top it all off upon getting up to use the restroom during the night and flipping on the light switch, I discovered to my horror a live and healthy SLUG crawling across the toilet! My husband came to the rescue and removed the creature, however neither one of us slept much imagining what else might be slithering in our room while we were there.

In the morning I went to the front desk to describe our experience, I was a little taken back when the guy behind the desk (who had to hang up on his cell phone when he acknowledged I was standing there) was rude and abrupt before I even said anything. When I told him about the gnats, he replied "yeah they're a problem", when I told him about the slug he replied "yeah they come in through the window units", when I told him about having to be moved three times he replied "yeah they should have put you on the second floor" When I asked to speak to a manager I was told the manager was out of town for a doctors appointment and wouldn't be back until Monday. When I asked to speak to the owner I was told "no, he's a doctor and he's at work and I can't bother him" (At this point I couldn't help but think to myself "I'm sure he NEVER stays here) I told him I just wanted resolution, he replied there was nothing he could do. When I told him I would just stand there and wait for the next customer to come in so I could give them the heads up about sleeping with gnats and slugs, he picked up the phone and said he was calling the police on me. WHAT? I was calm, never raised my voice, dressed nicely.... WHAT? I told him to go ahead and I'd be happy to explain to the police why I was standing here calmly trying to resolve a problem. He then hung up the phone.
Realizing there was a drone in charge of the front desk, I decided to leave. I bulleted all the problems and recounted our encounter and wrote everything down as I stood in front of him. I was assured someone would call me.

Which they did NOT. I ended up calling the hotel. Of course the manager and owner were not available and only they could handle the problem.

Later I did receive a return phone call from the manager who spoke with a very thick accent that made it difficult for me to understand what he was saying. I had to ask him to repeat things until I could make them out. Which didn't help because all he wanted to do was tell me that the big hotel chains keep records of people who complain about rooms and after three complaints they send out a letter that tells them to choose a different hotel in the future. WHAT? He repeated this information (if you can call it information) three times during a conversation that he tried to dominate by interrupting me and talking loudly over me. When I finally relayed the events I was told the rooms were checked and there were no gnats, the mattresses were new and fine and no slugs had been found. I then asked just how old were the "new mattresses" and he replied there were EIGHTEEN MONTHS OLD (is that new?) He then informed me that his hotel no longer has bananas at the breakfast they serve because gnats might come in on the bananas. He had no answer for the disgusting pool area or the mud slick in the hot tub. He said nothing when I told him my husband had slipped and nearly taken a fall by the hot tub.

I said to him "I find it hard to believe a doctor owns and runs this place, there's no way a doctor would ever stay overnight here OR allow any family members to stay here" There was a brief pause and he then stated "I'm a doctor too." WHAT?

He then told me he would take half off, one of our nights. This had to be repeated four times before I could understand him. When I told him I didn't think that was acceptable he asked "what do you want?" I replied that I thought one night off our bill would be fair, he then lectured me on how people read stuff on the internet and try to get free nights.

I said "listen, my husband and I work from home. We came on this little get-a-way to be alone without work staring us in the face, we wanted nothing but a little down time. We registered and paid in advance and not once were we ever informed that we would need to prepare for gnats, slugs, cigarette smoke, shredded bedspreads, bathrooms so neglected we didn't dare get in them and the not so relaxing pool experience."

Only then did he reluctantly agree to give us a refund for one of the nights.

When we checked our bank balance the next day, there were TWO charges for BOTH nights.

If FILTH, creepy crawlies, gnats and mattresses that are wonky are your idea of a great place to spend the night - this is the place for you.

Room Tip: The best advice for choosing a "good room" would be ..... find one at a different hotel...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Teri Lynn H
Thank you for giving the time to comment. It must have been awful to have your vacation ruined. We understand that we tried to reach out and offer some remedy. We do what we can to keep the hotel at certain standards that includes preventive actions against infestations. We hope to assure you that we have taken measures to improve our facilities and services further.
Kansas City, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

Got less than what I payed for after booking at the last minute. Stayed here for Mizzou-Arkansas State game, also family weekend. I wouldn't stay at this place again at the rates they charged me if something higher quality was available. You can pay less for a higher quality place on non busy weekends if you look in travel coupon magazines. Needs more parking spaces close to the exits. Everything in the room worked but smelled a little. Never used the pool or had the breakfast so I can't comment on those. Wifi was more secure than most hotels. Book years in advance at a higher quality place/ for busy weekends like football games.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comment. It does happen that events come along that affect room rates. We are thankful that you understand the price increase especially when booked on the last minute. We are glad to have been part of your football and family weekend. We will see if anything needs to be done with the parking. We are looking forward to your next weekend with us.
Muskogee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

Stayed here only because it was the only place I could get a room, due to Missouri Football Game. Cost $145.00 including tax. You'd think for that cost it might be a little nicer. Old, run down. The halls smelt of cigarettes. There was an old used wash cloth that was on the shower bar. Had been used but I guess they thought we wanted to reuse it without it being washed. Didn't want to walk on the floor without shoes on. Beds were ok, it looked dirty. Would not stay here again. Only thing I can say nice, the employees at the front desk were nice. I felt I was being ripped off at these prices.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jean5sons
Thank you for giving feedback regarding your stay in our hotel. Please understand that rates are subject to change; this time mainly because of a special event. Our staff is happy to have received feedback that you have found them nice. We strive to keep every aspect of our hotel to your satisfaction. You may be assured that we will further improve our hotel.
chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

Our family traveled 200 miles looking for vacancies--we were so tired after driving 10 hours that we checked in so we could rest and clean up--This place is awful--I should have known better when I asked for a room and I had to deal with the clerk through bullet proof glass--my teenagers got a first hand look at what NOT to check in to--even they were groosed out by the smell of cigarette smoke in the hallways and the less than adequate beds. I took off the bed spreads --the price was ridiculous and there was no breakfast offered....what a waste....I agree KEEP GOING OR PULL OFF BEFORE STAYING HERE

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank flamingoChicago
We appreciate the time you have given to post this feedback. Our hotel does have smoking rooms and areas. We can make arrangements for our guests to be put in a different room with different bed sizes that offered breakfast and away from smoking area. We do have them available and hope to show them to you next time choose to come over. Please know that your comfort is our business.
Miami
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

First room ac didn't even turn on. They moved us to another room, ac kept shutting off. Ended up sleeping with window open. Bed and bathroom were clean, I was afraid to step in carpet. If everything is booked try to keep driving and find something else.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. We are as disappointed as you are to have not met your expectations regarding the air conditioning units. We would like to inform you that our facilities have regular status checks and it was unfortunate that it malfunctioned during your stay. We are still having these checks done for you and for all our guests’ satisfaction.
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

We visited Columbia for the first time and chose this hotel for the location and price. Please do not stay there. First of all, the place is very run down and needs an overall makeover. The tubs are very slippery and I fell down out of the shower. Ouch. We had to call twice on a Saturday night because of loud, rude guests and apparently no one would do anything about it. They finally shut up at 1 am. There were people down the hall drinking and they left such a mess. I would have expected the staff to clean the mess up before we woke the next day, but they didn't care to. We had a horrible time and have asked for a refund, but they refuse. DO NOT STAY here. Find another place to stay.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here, please. You will be sorry.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for leaving a comment. While we have no complete control over our guests’ behavior, we can simply ask them to be considerate to the other occupants. Our facilities may not seem to be as modern but they are checked for functionality. As for your accident, we apologize and will note to keep our all amenities safe.