“Upscale”

Ranked #112 of 402 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: City busing stops less than a block from our establishment.
Reviewed February 5, 2012

We absolutely love dining here! The service and food were excellent.

Reviewed January 30, 2012

My wife and I went to Grand Cru for the first time last week. We had won a 50 dollar gift card last summer and decided to use it for her birthday which was a Tuesday night. I called Tuesday morning around 10am to make a reservation but there was no answer and the message stated that reservations could be made after 2pm. I called back after 2pm and made a reservation for 6:30pm. We arrived about 15 minutes early and the host said our table was ready and took us and seated us. It was not very busy when we arrived and never got busy at all, we sat in the dining room next to the bar and were the only ones there.

The waiter came and got our drinks and did a nice job explaining the menu. We took several minutes to decide what we would order. When he came back we had a few more questions that he fully answered. I ordered the double cut pork chop and she ordered a tuna steak.

After we ordered we our waiter served us some bread which was warm and very good. Our food took about 20 minutes before it was done and brought out, both dishes were very good. The pork chops was pretty large for what I was expecting and the garlic mashed potatoes were served generously as well. The tuna steak was cooked as ordered and came with her choice of rice, both had grilled asparagus.

After dinner, the waiter explained dessert which we ordered, ice cream and brownie type thing, not exactly sure the name, but it was served with blackberries and strawberries. It was good as well.

Our server and other host always made sure our drinks were full and came back several times to make sure we were ok. There were no issues with using the gift card either.

Overall it was a good experience, I had read some so-so reviews about Grand Cru, so I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. We left with 2 enterees and dessert for just under $50. So the price isn't bad if your looking for a more upscale dinner. The atmosphere was OK, I know there were other people in the resturant eating somewhere, just not anywhere near us, it was kind of awkward to be the only people in that particular section of the resturant, but it was not a huge deal. The food was cooked as ordered and no complaints in that department.

I rated 4/5 becuase I felt like while everything was good, food, prices, etc, there was just something missing, something that would make me want to come back over and over, not sure what it could be, but something is needed to try to and make people feel like they should want to come back again.

Reviewed April 30, 2011

We recently tried the Grand Cru for their Easter Brunch. What a complete let-down. We were told at the time we made reservations that there would be this great spread with at least 20 items and sure to impress. At $23/pp I sure hope so. If you counted the little dessert finger foods, maybe you'd come close to 20 items. What Brunch does not have a ham dish? We were seated in the dining room adjacent to a cigar shop and unfortunately that is all you could smell the whole time. The food was ok, nothing spectacular and certainly not worth the price. Oh well, live and learn, right? Certainly will not be returning and have been sharing with friends and colleagues to steer clear as well.

7  Thank acts221
Reviewed March 17, 2011

I went to Grand Cru for a drug rep presentation. There were two presentation given 03/16/2011 and I was shocked about the service we received. I know the companies that sponser these events pay good money plus if the food, service, and atmosphere is great, that would bring in potential customers. When we arrived the table was not set-up, the waiter did not offer drinks, etc. The presentation was offered in the first space and because there was not privacy we had people attending the other event walking through. Many people were eating and didn't have anything to drink. We had to wait forever for the appetizer to be served and received a steak kakob and a fish/crab cake. The main entree salmon, steak, vegetarian, chicken was just okay. The desserts were fantastic... I feel if they were not equipped to handle to presentation on the same night, they should have encourage the reps to do one on another night. I spoke to several people at the other presentation and they were not impressed either. Grand Cruz has definitely decline over the years with their services, attitude, food, etc. I would never recommend anyone to use this establishment. In the future if the drug reps ask for our recommendations I will say anywhere besides Grand Cruz.

5  Thank donijean
Reviewed September 14, 2010

I have eaten at Grand Cru on numerous occasions and have encountered a great experience on 99% of these occasions. The service, food, drinks, and ambience is exceptional. The personable staff, great food and drinks, ambience, and Kevin Kirtley on the piano (weekends) - What more can you ask for? (Call first to double-check on the piano). The only time I have ever encountered a problem at Grand Cru was with my caesar salad. Someone obviously had the refrigerator too cold and portions of the salad were frozen, and of course, that takes the flavor out of the salad. I kindly informed the waiter of the problem and he offered to replace it, which was done. One time out of many visits - I believe Grand Cru (in my book) has an excellent track record. We all have our "bad days", but Grand Cru's "great days" definitely outweigh the one frozen caesar salad I had. Anyhow, if you choose to wine and dine at Grand Cru, you will not be sorry -- You are in for a TREAT! Ask Specifically to meet DANIEL PAULSELL (Manager) and tell him that Grand Cru was highly recommended by a Columbia resident who enjoys fine food, wine, and music. Dining in the Wintertime by the fireplace is both romantic and WARM and spring and fall on the outside patio is fantastic! Note: Great Value - Large Portions with sides included ENJOY!