“Great staff but room needed a facelift!”

Residence Inn Columbia
Ranked #20 of 36 Hotels in Columbia
Saint Cloud, Florida
“Great staff but room needed a facelift!”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Our family arrived late when traveling through Columbia and the front desk lady was so very nice and accommodating. She made us feel very welcome.
We got to our room and for a Residence Inn, this room wasn't quite what I expected as it was a bit dated, worn and needed a facelift. The front of one of the nightstands was even whitened when the wood itself was dark.
This was the second Marriott family of hotels we had stayed in on this trip. We used the sofa bed for our two kids and once again were extremely disappointed with the quality of the sofa mattress. Both worn and needing to be replaced, Marriott can better keep up the quality of these mattresses because the lack of quality did affect how well my kids slept that night.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My sister and I spent a quick night in COMO to celebrate my brother's birthday staying at the Residence Inn. What a pleasant stay it was! From the front desk check-in to the hard working woman at breakfast service couldn't have been better. Our room was very clean with everything in working order. Thanks to all and especially to the two front desk workers who helped us surprise our "over the hill" brother!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Julra
Princeton, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Traveling across country with three kids, we rolled in (right off 70) and they gave us a great double room suite and what seemed like some sort of special price. Free beer and fried chicken for dinner, kids played on basketball court and went swimming and we all slept soundly. Staff was friendly and engaged the children with extra coloring materials and nice stuff like that. Great stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Micah W
Los Angeles
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This is my second visit to this site - yes, the traffic noise is amazingly loud. On any floor in about any place. I was stunned when I went to the room assigned and as a Marriott Platinum member I was given a room practically on the freeway itself. Truly stunning amount of noise. When I called downstairs they moved me and were not at all surprise I wasn't happy with the room. When I asked about a restaurant on both stays - the front desk person was unable to make any recommendations except a couple of sketchy places.

On my first visit I left a very nice new watch - and called about it within a few days of staying. I had to keep calling as they never returned my calls. I was told - "oh yeah, I remember that watch, I'll get with housekeeping and put it behind the counter". Only to be told on my next call (a week went by and no return call) "Oh we didn't find it". I left a message for the GM with no response.

As I have read through these posts - the only posts that are replied to by the hotel are those with compliments, another disappointing piece of business. Nope - they can't move the hotel but several items could be addressed.

Although the people are all pleasant - it doesn't say enough about their concern for the guests and the on-going business. I won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: just bring ear plugs
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Motrzo
Amanda F, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Columbia, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for your response. We appreciate any and all feedback, because the only way for us to grow and excel is to fix any and all problems that we have at this property. You are right, we cannot change the physical location of this hotel and its proximity to the highway and we truly do apologize for your lost item on your previous stay. I spoke to the General Manager, Trisha Hill, and she was unaware of the situation and she would love to speak with you about it if you would like to call the hotel directly (our phone number is 573.442.5601 and her extension is 505)

Again, we thank you for your comments and your feedback. It is by knowing our weaknesses that allows us to excel to new heights.

Florida
Reviewed May 7, 2013

From the check in at midnight to our check out two days later, everything was wonderful! The staff was friendly and helpful. Leticia, (spelling) one of the hostesses in the breakfast room, was exceptionally friendly and welcoming. Her co-hostess (sorry, didn't get her name) was also very friendly. The breakfast was varied and delicious. Hot coffee and tea was available 24/7. Othe reviews complained of the highway noise. Being ultra-sensitive to noise, I forgot we were just off the interstate! Our suite on the first floor was perfect for sleeping-no complaints here. The fireplace in the suite was charming--we just weren't in the room long enough to use it--Cracker Barrel is a stone's throw away-yum!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Amanda F, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Columbia, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. It is with feedback such yours that we are able to improve our hotel and guest service. We also love getting positive feedback like you gave and being able to pass it along to our hardworking staff!

Again, thank you very much and we hope you come visit us again soon!

Hershey, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I have been at the Residemce Inn for three nights and have yet to be able to sleep. The road noise is unreal. I even asked for a room away from the road side, but there is no such thing. Other rooms are on the side of the building and hear every sound from the interstate. It is like being on the runway of Atlanta Airport ALL NIGHT LONG. The walls are thin. I can hear every word of neighbors phone conversations and other things they do through the walls clearly. Construction of this property was done on a lean budget. Thin glass windows and walls. A real shame. Great location.
The staff excellent! Cooks in morning and night so friendly. Great breakfast. Eggs, potatoes, waffles,fruit,juice,bacon. A full spread. The same in the evenings as well.
Something has got to be done about the loud AC units in the sleeping areas and the road noise. Thicker windows maybe? The noise kills this place and keeps it from being a four star in my book.If you are a light sleeper and need a good nights sleep choose elsewhere.

Room Tip: Higher floors away from interstate. Helps a little. Bring a white noise machine with you or ear plug...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank francesshogan
Thank you very much for your feedback. We greatly appreciate you taking your time to do so. We have recently made a lot of changes to our breakfast and evening social and are thrilled to hear they have been successful. We are making many changes to our hotel property in the next 24 months and would love to have you as a guest again with us.

Again, thank you so much for your feedback as it is the best way for us to improve!

Best Wishes,
Chesterfield, Missouri
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Columbia MO is a place for many sport/college/conference events. This hotel location is very easily accessed from the two main highways in town. The facility is a very nice Residence Inn, with suites or studio rooms. The staff has always been very friendly and helpful, rooms clean and in good condition. If the constant hum of highway traffic noise bothers you, insist on a room that does NOT face the highway.

The staff here was accommodating to allow us early access to the room that was going to be used by the bride and bridesmaids the night before the wedding--allowing bridesmaids to decorate. They helped deliver items to the room and were very sweet to the bride. They were also kind to my elderly mother.

Our extended family uses this resort very often when coming to events at the University of Missouri.

Warning: there is a Hooter's Restaurant in the parking lot, if this offends anyone (or if you like Hooters). There are many other fast food places nearby, and it is a 10 minute drive into downtown Columbia for cuter local places, etc...

ONE WISH: WISH this resort had some Double/Double 2 room suites. Often, when booking two room suites, what is wanted is many BEDS for multiple family members. These two room suites are King/King with a fold-out couch. Would have prefered King/ and double double instead.

Room Tip: If you don't like highway noise, ask to be on side away from highway
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Ursula S

Again, thank you very much and we hope you come visit us again soon!