“Typical Residence Inn” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 35 Hotels in Columbia
Illinois
“Typical Residence Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Good location not far from Mizzou campus on the highway. Nice amenties and decor as in most of the Marriott properties of this caliber. Good breakfast, decent pool etc. Very near many eateries and shopping.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Scottsdale, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I showed up at this hotel after a very long day of traveling. Stood at the front desk for 10 minutes before anyone came to check me in. That might not seem long until its you standing there, staring at other staff members who claims the front desk person will be back shortly and is apparently not able to do anything to assist. It was because 'she's either in the bathroom or she's helping another hotel guest'. I did receive a 'sorry for the wait' when Becky arrived at the front desk though and a fast check in. I was promptly checked into a room looking straight out over I-70 which was very noisy. The good - The room was spacious, the bed comfortable, good shower and water pressure and soft towels. The bad - outdated decor, mixed reviews on the front desk staff, terrible housekeeping (My bed was made but used towels were not replaced or even hung up, trash not taken out and shampoo was replenished), noisy from traffic on I-70 (my saving grace was my white noise machine), hair on the floor and on the nightstand. Do yourself a favor, save $20 and stay down the road 2 minutes at the Holiday Inn. Much nicer hotel and great housekeeping.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

We stopped in on our way from St Louis to Denver. The hotel was very easy to get to off the I-70 with all you needed close by. The hotel had a very nice appearance and it was clean. Renovations were current and complete. The staff was excellent and I was quickly given an upgrade to a 2 bdrm unit as a gold member. Soon after arriving in my room the front desk called to make sure everything met my needs. I was impressed! If in Columbia again I will make the RI my choice of stay.

Extremely satisfied Marriott Reward member.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 4kidsthatliketoswim
Raymore, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We enjoyed our 3 night stay. For the most part it was clean and tidy. Some things you might wanna bring with you is your own pillow. Theirs are really soft, as in not supportive, like sleeping on a folded sheet. A fan for extra noise. We had room # 409 which is facing the hwy. Apparently it is a custom to honk if your a trucker when you go by a Hooters. They're located next door. (they had only one cook and training another, very slow, and also my whole family had stomach issues after we ate there). Bring some extra towels. We had to ask for more and they were always out of pool towels as well. Also our room had a dozen forks and only two spoons. BRING YOUR OWN COFFEE! Theirs was terrible! Also salt and pepper, our shakers were empty, and clearly! set them out but were never filled. Breakfast was good for free, tasted plain. Eggs, sausage, potatoes, waffles, yogurt, oatmeal, cereal, muffins, English muffins, apples, bananas. Ended at 9:30. All in all it was homey, and will prolly stay again when needed. Oh one more thing, their trash cans are itty bitty. We had to use our grocery sacks for extra trash. The staff was very friendly! Made our stay better. Cleaning lady's were very polite as well. Would recommend to a friend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I have stayed in Marriott Residence inn's and other Marriott's frequently. Just finished staying in the Marriott Marquis in Times Square NY. The Marriott Residence in Columbia MO was miserable. mattress was terrible too old and soft! The shower was stained on the floor, and the shower curtain liner is so old it is ripped and has holes no excuse for that! We didn't notice the shower until the next morning when we were getting ready to take a shower otherwise we would have asked for another room. The staff was polite and we told them of the problem but I felt I had to write and tell others on this site. I use TripAdvisor frequently to judge hotels.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
lincoln
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

One night stay with family to visit the University. Allowed to check in early by upbeat front desk personnel, which was a great help. The location was a bit difficult to find via mapquest gps as it routed us to an old hotel just a few blocks north. Having read the other reviews and knowing to look for a Hooters, it was easy to find and not the hotels fault. Immediately after checking in, a bus load of teenagers showed up, but did not hear them at all. Didn't really hear much traffic noise either and our room was close to I-70! Pool was good for my 4 year old, didn't try the hot tub. Managers nightly reception was a bit of a disappointment, bit confusing what the purpose was as there was only one buffet style round container with a very small portion of lasagna? on one side and an empty salad bowl with a few dressings. Wasn't planning on having dinner at the reception, but maybe appetizer type food would work out better. On that note, the breakfast buffet was well stocked and well worth it.
Here's what made trip poor...upon getting up from a good night sleep, noticed dead bugs in both bed and sofa bed. Then same bugs...living this time were found in shower and on bathroom floor. Looked them up and determined they were ear wigs. In the defense of hotel, didn't notify them and just checked out, so not sure if they have had a problem with that room before. All in all, I didn't find it a total wreck, but the rest of my family was pretty upset.

Room Tip: choose higher floor to avoid our first floor room