“Suites perfect for families with children”

Residence Inn Columbia
Ranked #20 of 36 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We stayed here for five nights during a 50th anniversary celebration. There were 9 adults and 10 children under the age of 12. It was much nicer to have children in their own room in the suite instead of having them share the parents room. The babies slept in cribs in the living room, so parents could tend to them in the night without disturbing older children in the second bedroom. The suites have full kitchens including dishwashers which made it easy to give kids snacks. The fireplaces in the suites have kid proof glass screens. The staff was very friendly and helpful. April went out of her way to help us on two different occasions. She has been working there for more than five years. We were able to push tables together in the dining area to have a family feast at breakfast, which included eggs, meat, potatoes, and waffles. I enjoyed the variety of fruit to go on waffles or oatmeal. We enjoyed the indoor pool, and the high speed internet worked well. The property was very clean and well-maintained. Try to get a room that is not on the side facing the highway. My niece complained that the traffic noise made it harder for her to sleep. When we arrived about 3 p.m. one of the suites wasn't ready yet. They said it would take 20 minutes to prepare, which is forever to wait with kids. Be warned that anyone sleeping in the living room will have to go through one of the two bedrooms to get to a bathroom. Still it was an excellent experience overall. .

Room Tip: As for a room on the side away from the interstate highway
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed June 25, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a couple of weeks. I was on business and it was one of the few hotels in that area that has a kitchen. I do a lot of traveling for business. I stayed at different hotels. This is my first time at a Marriott (I'm usually a Hilton person). This staff is very unfriendly. They barely say hi. I would see housekeepers in the hallways and they would just look at me. I would say hi first only to get a forced hi out of them. Aside from the unfriendliness, my room was barely keep. They would just do the beds. They would sometimes forget the trash and the toilet paper. They never leave extra rolls of paper! My next complaint is that breakfast never starts on time. For business travelers, we need to eat and get to the office. It would be nice to have breakfast that starts on time so we can be on time. Their high speed internet resembles dial up. It is slow, slow, slow!!! I hope they get their act together! I would appreciate a smile every now and then from the front desk clerk. After all, I am spending $100+ to stay there. No need to be in a sour mood all the time. I absolutely will not stay at this property ever again. I will tell my co-workers about my experience as well!

Room Tip: The best room is any room at another hotel!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 30, 2011

We had a terrific night of sleep at this hotel. The breakfast was good. The room was spotless. It was just great!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 27, 2011

I went here in the middle of the winter and in the middle of the snowstorm, but this hotel was an experience. The room was clean, the staff was so friendly and the perks were exceptional. They had a happy hour and actually had a small dinner for the guests, which came in handy when 11 inches of snow was falling outside. I felt like I was on a cruise ship, with the food and the staff catering to my every need. The fitness center was so well managed. The room was mostly quiet, but I would recommend an upper floor as you can hear the guests above you. But I didn't care because they were on my schedule.

Breakfast was outstanding, too. The hotel was in a great location, too.

Room Tip: Get a top floor
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank buddy_and_lindsay
Reviewed March 21, 2011

Last year I wrote a review of this hotel titled Perfect for Us. Apparently we were on the "good" end of the hotel last year. This year's trip went a little differently. This year we booked a 2 bedroom suite since our daughter (age 3) is now too big to sleep in the pack n play and likes a bedroom of her own. It seems the only one available for this past weekend was on the end facing the interstate (room 209). We could hear every car and truck that went by, made it hard to get to sleep but once we were asleep it didn't wake any of us up. We are pretty deep sleepers. We did call down to the front desk within about 10 minutes of check-in to ask if we could switch rooms, but were told they were sold out so we were stuck.

The size of the 2 bedroom suite was great, we really liked being able to put our daughter to sleep in one bedroom and have the whole living area and other bedroom to roam around in. Room was clean, plenty of pillows, blankets, and towels. We checked in about 5 pm, and it seems they must have just finished cleaning our room (so it wouldn't have been ready had we arrived at 3 pm like we planned). The dishwasher was still running when we arrived. The icemaker seems to have been empited into one of the toilets rendering it useless until the ice finally melted - sometime during the next day! Odd, if it was dumped into the sink we could have just run hot water and melted it away. Also, couldn't get the fireplace in the room to work. We could see the pilot was lit on it, but never could get it to actually start up. We didn't bother to call the desk about since it wasn't that important, but wish it would have worked.

The common areas of the hotel were clean and quiet. The pool was nice - strong chlorine smell, but that's pretty normal of hotel pools everywhere. Tile floors around the pool were super-slick, had to keep a good grip on our little girl to keep her from slipping! Our daughter loved going swimming and had a great time. The breakfast was a little crazy both days as the hotel was pretty full so it was hard to get a seat in the breakfast room. Really could use 2 waffle makers as there was constantly a line for the one. Food was good though. We didn't have a whole lot of interaction with the staff, we are pretty independent that way.

Overall, we'd probably stay here again, but only if we can get a room on the side away from the interstate.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 8, 2010

We have been avid Marriott guest for years and choose the brand due to the level of quality and professional associates. We felt this particular property was not up to brand standards because at check in the office with *GENERAL MANAGER* had two ladies enjoying their McDonalds while we stood waiting for them.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed August 30, 2010

I stayed with the Residence Hotel in Columbia, MO for approximately 3 days and was met with bad service from the start. First, the information regarding the pet fee is not consistent. I was told, via phone, that it was $75.00 per room, per night! The pet policy, on paper, states that it is $75.00 per pet! Neither of which are true. Second, we reserved a two bedroom suite but instead were given a studio suite, upon arrival. Third, we were told that the room was ready and that we could check in at any time but upon our arrival our room was not ready and we were told that we had to wait until 3pm to check in! Their statement to our frustration was that we spoke to a "reservation center" and not the actual location where we were going to stay. The final point is that they claimed to be an extended stay hotel but when I needed to stay for a period of 4-6 weeks, they could only give us approximately 3 weeks on account that there was an MU football game. Then they wanted us to come back and pay for the pet deposit fee a second time when they had already made several other mistakes, not very good PR/Customer Service in my opinion. Not to mention we were met with the attitude of, "We're sorry but we just don't care." People need to be held accountable for their actions and the business for which they represent. I will not be staying with this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple