“A credit to the Marriott family and the Hotel Industry ....” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Columbia

Courtyard Columbia
Ranked #15 of 35 Hotels in Columbia
Villa Park, Illinois
“A credit to the Marriott family and the Hotel Industry ....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2014

I have been on a long term project in Columbia, MO since February and it looks like I will be there until May of 2015 at least. Ever since my first stay at this hotel in February until my most recent stay ending this week 8/15/2014. I have always felt at home and welcome at this hotel, my rule for hotels is I have to feel at home as much as I travel hotels are my home. The staff at this Courtyard exemplifies the home feeling they go out of their way to make sure all of their guests have a great experience during their stay.

The front desk staff is impeccable with a smile and a welcome and making sure the check in process is very transparent. They always have time to chat and see how you are doing, making sure everything is going well with your stay. The Bistro crew is one of the best teams I have seen in a hotel restaurant in a long time. Melissa and her staff are to be commended on their customer service , the food is of high quality and tastes great every time. They know their wines and beers when asked for recommendations. If you make special requests for food entrée prep they do their best to accommodate. I like a fried egg on my burgers a lot of hotels and restaurants have that item on their menu ....The Bistro did not but they honored my request for one on my burger I didn't care about an additional charge it was a special request so I should pay a bit more. Nikki made a great burger and knew what it meant to have the egg over easy but soft and that impressed me ..

Housekeeping is always smiling and saying hello as well as making sure the rooms are kept up nicely. I have stayed their during the renovations of this hotel and I for one thought it was one of the best renovations with limited if any inconvenience to the guests. The newly remodeled rooms are very comfortable and spacious. I always leave a gratuity for the housekeeping staff here because they are one of the best I have seen in years and I have traveled extensively for over 20 years....

Sure there are going to be some inconveniences when we travel , renovations, items needing attention in rooms .. a hotel cannot control everything that goes on in their guest rooms as hard as they try. But the employees at this particular hotel do the best job of customer service that I have seen in a long time. I continue to stay here because of this team..they are a family they all work together well from what I have noticed.

One last note to tell you how considerate the team at this Courtyard is they have known and have listened to my stories about caring for my 91 yo Mom (why my travel has been less for the last couple of years). Anyway when I informed them that Mom passed away last week they were considerate enough to give me a sympathy card signed by the team letting me know they are there for me.,

I will be gold after this stay and platinum by the end of the year because of this project and I am glad I am going to achieve that status at this hotel. This is a full service business travelers hotel that makes families feel at home as well. Keep up the great work..

Room Tip: All the rooms have been remodeled so they are all nice if you want a quieter stay book a room away f...
Green Features: They are recycling containers on every floor by the elevators ..
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

The check in process was very smooth and the employee working at the front desk on Sunday night was very helpful and informative. The hotel was very clean and it was great to go to a hotel that encourages recycling with bins at several locations in the hotel. The workout room provides many different exercise options along with a pool and hot tub. The room provided plenty of space and the bed was comfortable. The only item that kept this from being a five-star rating was the noise coming from the AC unit which got louder as the night went on.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
1 Thank lee s
Springfield, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

I have stayed here several times before. It is a very pleasant hotel, great location right off Hwy 63 with easy access to food and amenities. Hotel staff is very pleasant, lobby is lovely and the room was very good. Very minor negative is loud air-conditioner but this is a common issue in hotel rooms all over! Will stay here again if only doing a single night. There is no "free breakfast" so the cost of the room is higher than most in the area. But it is a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
Fayetteville, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

My wife and I traveled to the Courtyard by Marriott in Columbia, Missouri the later part of June with our son who is about to enter his senior year in high school. We are from Arkansas - and I wanted him to check out the University of Missouri Columbia campus. He loves University of Arkansas - but I thought it would be good for him to see another school in the same conference and around the same size.

We looked at several rooms throughout the Jefferson City and Columbia areas - and decided to stay at the Courtyard in Columbia. We decided this for several different reasons - location to the school - not right on top of the campus but VERY close, the price for the rooms was very competitive, and the location off the highway.

I travel a fair bit with work and usually stay at either Marriott or Hilton hotels - depending on travel plans. I am a Platinum level member with Marriott and a Gold level with Hilton. When we arrived at the Courtyard in Columbia to check-in the look of the hotel was very nice. We were aware there is construction going on - they are removing an old restaurant and remodeling their rooms as well. We were okay with that - knowing that sort of thing needs to be done in order to keep the hotel looking good and fresh and to stay ahead of the curve.

The staff that we encountered throughout our three day two night stay were all very friendly and courteous. Housekeeping did an amazing job with our room. My wife always seems to have a knack of using WAY too many towels - and it was easy to receive additional towels after a quick call to the front desk. The second day upon returning from our campus visit - I noticed that they had actually left several additional towels in our room - without asking! Its the little things like that - that make me and my wife remember a specific hotel.

Every one of the staff that we encountered in the halls or lobby were very nice and would typically have a smile on their face. The only thing I did not understand was something that I had never seen before at a Courtyard or any major chain hotel before. There was a young girl, named Leah, behind the front desk numerous times we walked through the lobby. I would have to say she was between 12 and 14 years old. It appeared she was a family member of one of the management staff's because it looked like she was actually 'working' the front desk.

My wife asked me - 'why do you think she is behind the desk?' the first time we saw her - and I just figured that she was there waiting for her parent to get off of work. But we saw her behind the front desk the majority of our stay. I have seen it before at smaller 'family run' hotels and at lake resorts, etc - just never at a corporate hotel setting.

I would think that Marriott would not approve of such a practice with all the Child Labor Laws and OSHA. Maybe there is more to the story - but I never found out. Just really something like I said before - never seen before in a corporate hotel setting.

Our room was VERY nice - it was one of the newly remodeled two queen rooms. We requested one away from the elevator and they came through. That is one thing I really like about Marriott's - you can request certain things online through the reservation page - even though they are not automatic - usually they will look and honor those. My wife is a very light sleeper - so the room noise was very important. Being away from the elevator always helps. Also, we noticed that the insulation in the rooms was very good. Usually we can hear people above us and below us - but not at this property. It was great.

My wife and I loved the bed - it was a very good night sleep both nights. Our son even liked them - of course he would sleep on the floor if needed....

In summary, this was a great trip to a great town and a great hotel. Our son felt very 'home' in Columbia - and we are planning another trip in the fall during football season to check out the campus when it is 'hopping'. We are going to be looking at staying at this property again - the fact that their rooms should all be remodeled - I spoke with a gentleman in management named Zach (i think) and he said they were to be completed mid-July. Looking forward to checking out the entire finished product shortly. My wife is looking forward to staying there again - and visiting more of Columbia as a city - the hotel is only 4 miles to campus so its very easy to get there and back. I am looking forward to being able to watch an SEC Football game - and relaxing at the hotel....

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

We happened to be there during an extensive remodel. I applaud them for improving, but the rooms we were given were right in the middle of extensive construction leaving us with the constant issue of foul odors stemming from the flooring, painting, wallpapering, and construction activities. The odors gave us wretched headaches.
In addition, we were awoken 2 of the 4 mornings by the sounds of sawing, hammering, and construction noise.

Our company has a plant not far away, and we have used this hotel many many times for many many visits, we are likely a significant contribution to their success.

It is nice to see the facility get better, but in my opinion it was a terrible management decision to host guests in the middle of an extensive construction zone.

We will likely not use the facility again as we cannot rely that key members of our company can be provided a trouble-free and relaxing stay that would result from sound management decisions.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Mjldly
Kirksville, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

I was very impressed with the Courtyard in Columbia, MO. Everything was clean and modern. Great amenities and good food at the small "bar" inside the hotel. This was a great location to get to and from the Mizzou campus and downtown Columbia.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
Lawrenceville, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is nice with comfortable beds and nice size rooms. We had two queen beds and there is plenty of space in the room. The rooms were clean and quiet. We would stay here again. There does not seem to be a lot of restaurants in the immediate area, we drove a couple miles to eat and stop by walmart.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family