“easy stay”
Review of Courtyard Columbia

Courtyard Columbia
Ranked #15 of 36 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed July 27, 2014

I have stayed here several times before. It is a very pleasant hotel, great location right off Hwy 63 with easy access to food and amenities. Hotel staff is very pleasant, lobby is lovely and the room was very good. Very minor negative is loud air-conditioner but this is a common issue in hotel rooms all over! Will stay here again if only doing a single night. There is no "free breakfast" so the cost of the room is higher than most in the area. But it is a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed July 15, 2014

My wife and I traveled to the Courtyard by Marriott in Columbia, Missouri the later part of June with our son who is about to enter his senior year in high school. We are from Arkansas - and I wanted him to check out the University of Missouri Columbia campus. He loves University of Arkansas - but I thought it would be good for him to see another school in the same conference and around the same size.

We looked at several rooms throughout the Jefferson City and Columbia areas - and decided to stay at the Courtyard in Columbia. We decided this for several different reasons - location to the school - not right on top of the campus but VERY close, the price for the rooms was very competitive, and the location off the highway.

I travel a fair bit with work and usually stay at either Marriott or Hilton hotels - depending on travel plans. I am a Platinum level member with Marriott and a Gold level with Hilton. When we arrived at the Courtyard in Columbia to check-in the look of the hotel was very nice. We were aware there is construction going on - they are removing an old restaurant and remodeling their rooms as well. We were okay with that - knowing that sort of thing needs to be done in order to keep the hotel looking good and fresh and to stay ahead of the curve.

The staff that we encountered throughout our three day two night stay were all very friendly and courteous. Housekeeping did an amazing job with our room. My wife always seems to have a knack of using WAY too many towels - and it was easy to receive additional towels after a quick call to the front desk. The second day upon returning from our campus visit - I noticed that they had actually left several additional towels in our room - without asking! Its the little things like that - that make me and my wife remember a specific hotel.

Every one of the staff that we encountered in the halls or lobby were very nice and would typically have a smile on their face. The only thing I did not understand was something that I had never seen before at a Courtyard or any major chain hotel before. There was a young girl, named Leah, behind the front desk numerous times we walked through the lobby. I would have to say she was between 12 and 14 years old. It appeared she was a family member of one of the management staff's because it looked like she was actually 'working' the front desk.

My wife asked me - 'why do you think she is behind the desk?' the first time we saw her - and I just figured that she was there waiting for her parent to get off of work. But we saw her behind the front desk the majority of our stay. I have seen it before at smaller 'family run' hotels and at lake resorts, etc - just never at a corporate hotel setting.

I would think that Marriott would not approve of such a practice with all the Child Labor Laws and OSHA. Maybe there is more to the story - but I never found out. Just really something like I said before - never seen before in a corporate hotel setting.

Our room was VERY nice - it was one of the newly remodeled two queen rooms. We requested one away from the elevator and they came through. That is one thing I really like about Marriott's - you can request certain things online through the reservation page - even though they are not automatic - usually they will look and honor those. My wife is a very light sleeper - so the room noise was very important. Being away from the elevator always helps. Also, we noticed that the insulation in the rooms was very good. Usually we can hear people above us and below us - but not at this property. It was great.

My wife and I loved the bed - it was a very good night sleep both nights. Our son even liked them - of course he would sleep on the floor if needed....

In summary, this was a great trip to a great town and a great hotel. Our son felt very 'home' in Columbia - and we are planning another trip in the fall during football season to check out the campus when it is 'hopping'. We are going to be looking at staying at this property again - the fact that their rooms should all be remodeled - I spoke with a gentleman in management named Zach (i think) and he said they were to be completed mid-July. Looking forward to checking out the entire finished product shortly. My wife is looking forward to staying there again - and visiting more of Columbia as a city - the hotel is only 4 miles to campus so its very easy to get there and back. I am looking forward to being able to watch an SEC Football game - and relaxing at the hotel....

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

We happened to be there during an extensive remodel. I applaud them for improving, but the rooms we were given were right in the middle of extensive construction leaving us with the constant issue of foul odors stemming from the flooring, painting, wallpapering, and construction activities. The odors gave us wretched headaches.
In addition, we were awoken 2 of the 4 mornings by the sounds of sawing, hammering, and construction noise.

Our company has a plant not far away, and we have used this hotel many many times for many many visits, we are likely a significant contribution to their success.

It is nice to see the facility get better, but in my opinion it was a terrible management decision to host guests in the middle of an extensive construction zone.

We will likely not use the facility again as we cannot rely that key members of our company can be provided a trouble-free and relaxing stay that would result from sound management decisions.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Mjldly
Reviewed July 7, 2014

I was very impressed with the Courtyard in Columbia, MO. Everything was clean and modern. Great amenities and good food at the small "bar" inside the hotel. This was a great location to get to and from the Mizzou campus and downtown Columbia.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 14, 2014

The hotel is nice with comfortable beds and nice size rooms. We had two queen beds and there is plenty of space in the room. The rooms were clean and quiet. We would stay here again. There does not seem to be a lot of restaurants in the immediate area, we drove a couple miles to eat and stop by walmart.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank jamiern
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This hotel is very traveler friendly. The staff was courteous, responsive and very professional. We stayed in a recently remodeled room that was very nice.
I would recommend this hotel to everyone. Breakfast was very good too.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank juliek2011
Reviewed April 27, 2014

My experience in this hotel in the past had been good, but not this time. The rooms have become dated. What another reviewer said about the beds being so soft you fall of the edges is true. They are also so soft that you sink in the middle. The room also was not totally clean. The coffee pot and ice bucket were both very dirty. Also, the hair dryer in the bathroom was broken. Their answer about the poor quality of beds is that they are in the middle of a renovation. When I asked if the rooms like ours with old, broken down mattresses were offered at a lower rate, I didn't even receive an answer. If I had made these complaints at a Hampton Inn, the room would have been comped. At Courtyard, they just take your money. I typically prefer Hilton brand hotels over Marriott brand because of what i have found to be the uneven quality of Marriott brand hotels and the indifference to customer complaints. Avoid this hotel, because even if you are placed in a renovated room, their indifference toward customer satisfaction and poor housekeeping is likely to leave you frustrated.

Stayed: April 2014
Charles M, Manager at Courtyard Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Steve,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. I'm glad you've stayed with us before and had a pleasant time and am very sorry for your recent visit and the problems you encountered.
We make every effort to deliver the best service we can and offer one of the best hotel rooms in the Columbia market, so it disappoints us when we are unable to reach those goals.
As you know, we are in the middle of a room renovation right now so that we can address many of the things you listed, and we hope to have brand new beds in each room by the end of the year. None of this helps fix what you have already experienced, but I hope you will give us one more chance to salvage our business relationship.
Please contact me at the hotel directly so that we can speak more about your previous stay and discuss possible compensation for your previous stay.

Charles E. Miller