“Good Stuff”

Bangkok Gardens
Ranked #58 of 447 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Okay, here's the scenario...it's winter semester graduation on the Mizzou campus, and so given a choice of all the places to munch out in COMO, (local slang for Columbia, MO), our group of graduates chose Bangkok Gardens. Why? It seems this restaurant is one of their favorite downtown haunts, and they wanted the parents to experience it with them.

Nice enough. Though upon further table conversation, that was one reason for the choice, with another, (and probably the real one), being that now they could order all the things they always wanted to order but couldn't afford, since NOW the parents were footing the bill. Student logic, you just gotta love it, (but weren't we ALWAYS footing the bill?). Hmmmmm.

ANYway...the service was first rate, once we were seated. I say this as we arrived a little before 5 pm, which is when Bangkok opens for the day, and so we waited a few minutes for the servers to get organized/set up. But, you "gotta get there early" to get a seat, because they DO NOT take reservations. Good thing we did, the place filled up rapidly.

We ordered appetizers of fried cabbage rolls, no pork, (2 per order), and some fried dumplings with pork, (8 per order). The apps arrived with the cabbage rolls being just slightly too fried which made the batter splinter into flakes when the rolls were broken with a fork. But, they tasted great, especially with the sweet/sour sauce. The dumplings were deelish, and fried perfectly. They were goners in about 3 minutes.

I ordered the #13 which has a Thai name I cannot recall. It consisted of beef, (choice of chicken, pork, or beef), with stir fried chunks green peppers, tomato slices, zucchini, onions, mushrooms, and those asian green beans, all in a beefy type sauce. Large bowls of white rice were served for all. Taste? Yumminess? Put it this way, I didn't need a "go box". Just the right amount, and very satisfying.

My son, however, ordered some kind of fried pork steak thing. It was pork with a very thick batter, deep fried. I'm talking about a half inch thick plus. This made him question out loud how it was to be attacked. With a fork and proper manners, or just eat it like fried chicken? At first he loved it, and tried the fork/manners, to no avail, so he resorted to the latter modus operandi. Eventually, he tired of the batter hassle, and removed it entirely, leaving just the pork to eat. His verdict? It "was OK".

The rest of our group, graduate included, remarked at first bites how tasty their entree was, but then were silent. Which means only one thing...they were too busy eating and enjoying their dish to talk!

The decor was unremarkable. It was an old brick building, renovated, some brick walls and steel beams exposed in the interior, 2 story ceilings with a surround balcony containing tables. Pretty cool overall, though nothing to write home about - so I'll write here instead.

A decent Thai munch for five adults. $75 bucks, including a $10 tip. Not too shabby. If you're in COMO, check it out. Oh, and when you're done, Booche's, (read that review), bar is just a few short steps away, so you can wash it back with a great frosty.

Good stuff.

Date of visit: December 2012

Reviewed October 20, 2012

There were only three of us for dinner. The waitress brought not even close items two different times. The food was nothing special. I played it safe and just had the serviceable pad Thai. The shrimp were fresh. Don't go if you are in a hurry. Also, these might have been the most uncomfortable chairs I have ever sat in.

Date of visit: September 2012
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Great varied thai menu, lunch and dinner. I recomend dinner because the lunch crowd can slow things down if you only have an hour. The y feature about twenty entree's with you setting the spice level from 1 to 5. I prefer ordering at a 3 because you can always make something hotter. Full bar, and a fun bustling place.

Date of visit: September 2012
Reviewed October 6, 2012

The food and atmosphere are great, but the service is sloooow. We had to stop going there for lunch because an hour was not enough time to get in and out, even if we arrived at 11:30.

Date of visit: March 2012
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I love Bangkok Gardens. The decor is beautiful. It is a great place to come with just your SO or with a group before/after a nice event. The food is great- plenty of options and you can get many of the dishes with a meat (or no meat!) of your choice and as spicy as you would like. The Pad Thai is great but branch out and try all the dishes because I have never had one I disliked! I highly recommend the deep fried tenderized pork! SO incredibly good!!

Date of visit: May 2012