“The best”

Shakespeare's Pizza Downtown
Ranked #2 of 385 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Kansas City
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best”
Reviewed July 1, 2009

I burn the roof of mouth every time I have Shakespeare's pizza. It's not their fault- I can't wait for it to cool to eat it. It's so good, I sacrifice skin for it. I love the atmosphere, location and consistency of this place. I also loved hiding in the back room, smoking cigarettes with my best friend here in high school.

• Korean first
  • Thai first
St. Louis, Missouri
“Good pizza, but nothing to write home about”
Reviewed June 9, 2009

We live in St. Louis and friends who went to Mizzou are always raving about this pizza. So when we were in Columbia this weekend we had to give it a try.

The atmosphere was fun and it's in a perfect location in relation to the campus. There was a 40-minute wait for the pizza to be ready, but we weren't in a hurry. But when it arrived we were disappointed. It wasn't bad, just not that special. The ingredients were fresh, sauce was tasty, crust a bit chewy, cheese was very greasy. I've been to 4 or 5 pizza places in the past year that are much better than Shakespeares, but none of those places are in Columbia. It may well be the best place in town.

So, if I was in Columbia I'd eat there again, but wouldn't go out of my way.

Missouri
“Great food, ok service”
Reviewed May 8, 2009

Amazing pizza, never tasted anything I didn't like. The service is ok, but could be better.

mid-Missouri
“The best pepperoni pizza around!”
Reviewed February 27, 2009

Locally owned and operated, Shakespeare's was started by an English major many years ago and has been popular ever since. It is one of the few places in town where you can actually order just a slice of pizza (albeit during limited hours).

Their pepperoni is to die for and their other ingredients are always of the highest quality. Yes, it is true that their pizzas vary from one time to the next but, even at their worst, they are far better than the cardboard offerings of Dominos or the greasy stuff from Pizza Hut.

Contrary to the previous poster, I have never encountered "snotty employees". Shakespeare's does not discriminate against counter-culture types in their hiring practices, so perhaps s/he was put off by the piercings and tatoos. I tend to like their employees because they have a sense of humor and you can kid around with them without freaking them out.

2 Thank SaHWe
Minot, North Dakota
“Honestly, it's pretty bad”
Reviewed January 17, 2009

At its very best, Shakespeare's serves rather pricey but better than average pizza in an atmosphere of snarky college fun. It is rarely at its best, though. Take-out is the worst, and since I tend to work at places that "order in Shakespeare's" for special occasions, I have had more burned/dried out/greasy/grainy/strange and flat-out bad pizza from Shakespeare's than from any other pizza place, ever. It is slightly better if you eat in, but then you have to deal with their generally snotty employees. You should probably go there just once to say that you have, but there are far better pizza places in town.

2 Thank masinger