“Great little spot for a late night glass of wine”

Wine Cellar & Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Wine Cellar & Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 404 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Wonderful little wine bar in downtown Columbia. Very romantic atmosphere and a nice change of pace from the college bars in the district. We didn't eat there, but the menu looked good and a very nice selection of wines by the glass. Will definitely return on my next trip to Mizzou!

Reviewed August 31, 2013

The Wine Cellar is truly a fun place for an evening out. We went out with a 4-some and spent a few hours enjoying a fabulous meal. For an appetizer we tried the Calvados Glazed Pork Belly, a very small and light starter for 4 people. It was sensational (maybe the best part of the meal.) Then we had salads, one house, one the gazpacho soup, another the caesar salad and the final the orange feta salad. All were very good but watch the orange salad as it might be too sweet for some people.

For the main courses we tried the local chicken and pancetta ravioli option, which was rich, creamy, pesto-y, and very delicious. We had the Local Brisket & Pappardelle Stroganoff which was excellent. The beef was cooked perfectly and the stroganoff not drowning in sauce. Another one of us had the trout which was excellent and the last had a smaller portion of the potato and kale cakes, which was just "OK."

Service was very good. Wines range from $22 on up and we had several bottles around the $30 range which were fine. The atmosphere is simple yet indicative of being in a "wine cellar" and overall it was about $285 for 4 people who were spending liberally.

The place is very loud and you do feel a bit crowded and the chairs are not extremely comfortable but I would definitely go there again and again and feel like I was getting full value for my meal and service. Going to be one of my favs in Columbia.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We were out for our monthly anniversary, so I brought a bottle of 2003 Chateau Lagrange from our cellar. Our waiter Alex offered us Riedel glasses (a rarity in Columbia) and decanted the bottle at the table. This was just the first example of the exemplary service which he provided throughout the entire meal. Alex brought us bread with Napa Valley olive oil with house-made balsamic reduction (yummy and available to purchase.) We ordered glasses of Gerard Bertrand Blanc de Limoux sparkling wine and the dungeness crab crêpes with a tropical fruit salsa. They were good but needed something to make them "pop." We then each had a small salad (available also as a large) of shrimp and fruit which was new on their seasonal menu. I failed to write down the exact ingredients. It was really a very nice summer salad. My lovely partner order the brisket & pappardelle stroganoff with a shiitake sauce. The brisket was sourced locally and was braised in red wine. She thought that it was outstanding. I had the trout (also local) stuffed with a cilantro-pumpkin seed pesto with a sweet potato pavè and coconut-curry sauce. It was a very interesting combination which I thoroughly enjoyed. We finished with a cheese plate with which to finish our wine.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Food was good, service OK, but do not order the featured wine unless you want to pay about four times retail. The regular wine list seems to be pretty reasonable at about two times retail. I checked our the price of the "featured wine" later and found out it was no deal. It was just featured.

1  Thank Russell R
Reviewed April 23, 2013

If you enjoy fine dining and good wines, this is the place for you in Columbia. The chef is one of the most creative in the area and tries to use lots of fresh, local ingredients. You can't go wrong with the Wine Cellar, and the staff is most attentive.