Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Columbia
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Columbia
Boulder
“Kind of goofy”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I was in Columbia, MO for business and this hotel was recommended to me. It is definitely a better hotel for families and kids. I literally came from a business trip in NYC so upon arriving here (and being told that this was a nice hotel) I had completely different expectations. It reminds me of a touristy hotel that you might see at the Grand Canyon. The location was good for my business meeting, but the hotel decor is definitely goofy. Very touristy. Looks like a hunting lodge with wooden accents and big beams. But, kind of a run down cheesy hunting lodge - one that has a gift shop with snow globes and Mizzou key chains. The room was clean. I liked that they had a microwave in the room (that is nice for families or vacationers). I have been to Columbia once before (on a family trip) and stayed at a really charming Bed & Breakfast within walking distance to town. That was really cute and convenient. I'm forgetting the name. But I think that was less expensive and significantly more of an upscale experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Takoma Park, Maryland
Reviewed April 4, 2013

My son and I stayed here recently. He liked the rustic atmosphere. We stayed in one of the pricey two room units with a separate bedroom so my son had a private place to sleep. The bathroom jacuzzi was nice for his evening soaks before bedtime. Unfortunately, the door to the bedroom also included the bathroom, and the wall between the bathroom and bedroom does not go up to the ceiling everywhere, so I needed to move quietly during the night when I wanted to use the bathroom while sleeping on the pullout sofa bed in the front room. The unit was spacious; it is more than enough room for two people, six people could sleep in the space easily if bunk beds were available beyond the bedroom bed and pullout sofa bed. The kitchen has plenty of room, yet it lacks facilities for cooking beyond a microwave oven. The unit has more than enough space to have a stove/oven, or at least a cooktop, I'm surprised that neither were present. The pool/hot tub are very nice. The breakfast buffet was inconsistent. One day, I felt like we got an adequate meal; the other two days, the waffle iron wasn't available, and the hot food choices were not vegetarian-friendly (e.g., biscuits and gravy). I was disappointed for the price I was paying that the breakfast didn't offer real juice, just juice drinks. The hotel literature indicated that the onsite Antler Lounge was open in the evenings, but I never found it to be open during our stay. Exercise room is OK, but it would be better if it had barbells/dumbbells. Large cable TV selection. There is a playground within walking distance.

Room Tip: My preference is top floor (the hotel has below-ground rooms, ground level, and second and third flo...
Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Angola, Indiana
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Great place for families. Pool is on the small side as is the weight room though in this area it's nice that the pool has both indoor and outdoor accessibility. Decor is slightly dated, but the facility is well kept. Full hot breakfast is a welcome surprise.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ndfs10
Clever, Missouri, United States
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My family and I recently stayed in this hotel, not because of being on vacation. But, due to the fact my husband was having surgery at the University Hospital on the MU campus. The first night we stayed, check in was a breeze, the night clerk gave us a recommendation for dinner at a local restaurant that turned out to be wonderful. The most important thing was the room was clean and the beds were comfortable! The hotel has a lot of charm even if it does have a lot of Mizzou items hanging around, the log cabin feel is very diffinite!! They have a wonderful hot and cold breakfast offering everything from French Toast to Waffles to Eggs and cold cereal. Even though, we never got to use the indoor/outdoor pool area, it seems to be well used by other guests. The only problem that I encountered was on our second day there, when I came back from a long day at the hospital and found the room had never been cleaned nor did housekeeping even take the dirty towels that were laying on the floor. I contacted the night manager and she immediately took care of the problem and even helped me by allowing me to change rooms. She even helped with the move. Even on the last day of our visit, they allowed us to have an extended check out when we were unsure if my husband would be released from the hospital. Overall, a wonderful stay for very little money!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Albuqueruqe, NM
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have been staying at the Stoney Creek Inn on extended stays to Columbia over the past 6 plus years.(We've probably racked up over a year in hotel residency during this time.) Here are the pluses: clean, well maintained rooms; easily accessible and quiet location; the guest cottages are roomy; abundant hot water; very fast heating and cooling systems. The minuses: mattresses could be a bit softer; only one guest washer and dryer--not enough for such a large hotel. By far the most outstanding feature is the incredibly helpful, attentive and courteous staff and management. Besides being cheerful, they go out of their way to make us feel comfortable and taken care of. Truly, this is the deciding factor for us. I'm sure there are probably other hotels with comparable amenities, but having staff that does the little extras AND does everything so cheerfully and efficiently is a real bonus. Thumbs up, twice.

Room Tip: Rooms further from the lobby and pool are quieter. During state sport events (Show-Me Games, etc.) i...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank medewerker
Jack K, Vice President of Corporate Support Services at Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Columbia, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. We work hard to insure that our staff is well prepared, caring and have an outstanding 'people first' attitude. It is so nice to have that cultural environment confirmed by a guest as valuable as we consider you to be and we are anxious for your next visit! Thanks again.
Ste.Gen
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel offers a wonderful breakfast variety included with your stay. There is definately something for everyone's taste. Our stay even had bisquits & gravy but I think they alternate the hot offerings. We enjoyed fresh fruit, bagels & cream cheese, muffins, juice, & coffee. There were cereals, yogurt, toast & jelly as well. The room was large with microwave & fridge. My only complaint is the lightening. With all the lights turned on including the bathroom the room was still dim. This made applying make up a bit difficult. There were a lot of college age kids staying so there was noise quite late. The room was spacious & beautifully decorated. Outside a moose greets you & in back are hores statues. The staff was friendly. I will stay here again when we are in Columbia as the lighting & noise were just minor compared to the lovely accomodations & breakfast.

Room Tip: I am not aware of any special advice. We were on the third floor & our room overlooked the pool.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I really though highly of this place. It was clean, rooms were nice size, staff was wonderful, breakfast was well kept up and nice variety, and the pool area was nice. The only bad was the hot tub wouldn't bubble. But without a doubt I would stay here again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple