“Great woods decor, terrible bed”

Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Columbia
Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed March 26, 2008

the decor and staff were nice. The king deluxe room with balcony overlooking the indoor/outdoor pool was nice with chairs and a table. gift shop, lounge, and continental breakfast were nice. The bed is were we were disappointed. It was so extremely soft and the linens had a very strong bleach smell. Yuck! My husband spent most of the night sleeping on the floor of the room! On checkout, I told our story and they said they would check the mattress in that suite. Well....I might stay there again, but check the bed before you unpack!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle J

Reviewed March 25, 2008

I had a work-related week long stay here in March 2008. I was impressed by the cleanliness of the whole hotel and my room in particular. I had a deluxe room with a balcony, which was really nice. The staff was really friendly and accomodating. I love the decor--Lodge! The continental breakfast was your typical continental breakfast which is fine with me since I usually eat cereal every morning but they do have lots of fruit, pastries, yogurt and biscuits and gravy too. The indoor pool area is really nice with a HUGE jacuzzi and swim-through-to the outside pool. There is also a TV in the pool area. The workout room is a little simple but it did the job for a short stay. There is also a billiards room and small arcade room. The hotel is located relatively close to the Mizzou Stadium (although not walking distance) so it would be a great place to crash after a football game!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 25, 2007

We stayed at Stoney Creek on the last leg of a wonderful trip out West (which included several days in Yellowstone), and found ourselves in a modern, lodge-type hotel. The room was very spacious and clean, and the lodge theme permeated the whole experience. We loved it and got a very affordable price on the internet. Great stop half way between St. Louis and Kansas City. Highly recommended.

Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed July 23, 2007

I stayed at the Stoney Creek Inn 4 nights for business last week and I enjoyed it well enough. The conference center is right there and the hotel has a relaxing atmosphere. I didn't get to explore much since I was busy in meetings all the time, but the staff took care of us with plenty of coffee and soft drinks and they brought us cookies every afternoon. The pool and spa are nothing special, and I could imagine that kids would get bored fast.

The bed was comfortable and the room was very well thought out. I really liked having the big comfy leather chair in the corner for working at night. It would be nice if all the rooms included a microwave and fridge, not just the more expensive rooms.

There was no restaurant on site, although there is a Waffle House next door. The only bar opens at 5pm.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed June 29, 2007

We traveled to Columbia for a baseball tournament and the hotel was good for what we needed it for. The rooms were clean and large enough for all the junk we had with us. The kids enjoyed the pool although it was a little small. If there were other guests using the pool when we were, it would have been extremely crowded.
We had a block of rooms (11) booked a month or more in advance and still had some issues with check - in. We all arrived at once and the first to check-in was asked to pay a security deposit of $100. I have never heard of such a charge. After some disagreement, they waived the deposit.
Breakfast was good and helped out a lot when heading out to tournaments early in the morning. There were lounge/meeting areas in several central locations of the hotel which made it nice for us to meet up as a team.
Overall a good expericence, but not sure I would book here with a group again.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed June 25, 2007

Being a newer hotel, the rooms are nicely appointed. My family enjoyed the bunk beds in the room, which made it a plus for a larger family. We had traveled to Columbia for a baseball tournament, and the hotel was very accommodating with regards to check-in/out times, etc.

However, the hotel is overpriced for what it offers. The only true amenities it offers are a pool area with a hot tub and sauna, and a deluxe continental breakfast. Both are a nice addition, but nothing to write home about. Other than that, it's an average hotel from an amenity standpoint. I get the feeling they are trying to pass themselves off as a Great Wolf Lodge type of hotel, but really don't compare.

Be SURE to ask for rates for all nights you are staying. I did not find out until I got to the hotel that the room rates go up on the weekends; very disappointing but I did not have much of a choice.

Overall it's a nice hotel, but overpriced.

• Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank SaddleSore
Reviewed June 20, 2007

I was at this hotel for a business conference. The hotel was clean and comfortable, but I will never stay here again. First of all, whenever I would turn the television on in my room, the first screen was always FOX News, which is fine. However, when I went to turn on CNN, it was blocked. I asked the manager why I was not able to watch CNN in my room, and he said the owner had chosen not to allow their hotel guests to watch CNN because CNN had "betrayed our troops" by showing "our troops being tortured and killed." Personally, I do not believe that a hotel has the right to determine for its guests where they get their news and I find that notion to be insulting on an intellectual level. I am sure that there are guests who would find the movie channels they offer to be offensive as well, but they still offer them because the guest can simply choose not to watch them. I am opposed to censorship of this type, and I think the Stoney Creek Inn should be ashamed of itself.

Stayed: June 2007