“great place to stay”

Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Columbia
Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed November 13, 2011

We come to all the mizzou football games and when we do we always stay at stoney creek its a great place to stay.All of the front desk people are so nice and helpful to us when we check in especially emily and chandler..I highly recommend this hotel for its cleanliness and its friendly staff including the hotel manager mike kelly ....

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Columbia

Reviewed November 11, 2011

Everything went really smooth! Had lots of compliments from the people we put up there.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 4, 2011

There are a lot of one submission five star, extremely effusive reviews of this hotel. And to be honest, I have no frame of reference regarding other Columbia hotels as this was my first visit to the city, so maybe it is the best bet in town. I just was not as blown away as others.

The northwoods decor was fine in a kitchy kind of way. The front desk staff were very nice, although check in took an awful long time and I'm not sure why. The rooms were adequately sized, although I found the bathroom extremely small. The stuffed bear on the bed looked like it had been there a while (you can take it home with you for a fee)--it was dusty and kind of dirty. I agree with some other reviewers that the beds were not the most comfortable.

Breakfast was very crowded and spilled out into the lobby. No hot food, unless you count toast, and some pretty bad coffee. But its free, and if you are jonesing for something more substantial, Waffle House is just across the parking lot.

My visit was in conjunction with a wedding held on campus, however the night before there was an informal get together in the bar at the hotel. One of the relatives of the groom was picking up the tab, but that didn't seem to stop the bartenders from attempting to charge several people for their drinks individually--causing some awkward conversations when it became apparent they shouldn't have had to pay. It was just weird considering our group were the only people in the bar.

Location is south of campus by a few miles--you do need to drive to get downtown or to campus.

Overall, not bad (despite my nitpicking) but I just didn't love it. Oh, and all cable news stations were on my tv, not just Fox.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 6, 2011

We pass through Columbia, Missouri, on our way to Minnesota about twice a year. We usually stay at a more "typical" hotel that allows pets. The one we usually use was booked so I looked for other possibilities. Stoney Creek Inn ranked high on Trip Advisor so we thought we would give it a shot. When we checked in, we received a doggy bag with two large treats and bags for picking up after our dog. Then, when we opened the door to our room, I was amazed. It was truly a pet-friendly room. Some hotels claim to be pet-friendly but they go out of their way to make a pet feel welcome. There was a large crate in the room, large and small pet bowls, pictures of dogs on the walls and a pet library! Then, there was a door leading out back to a large field to walk your dog and a receptacle for placing your dog's waste. The room was nice for humans, too! Also, around the corner (within walking distance) was a great restaurant--Murry's--which we were told was one of the most popular in Columbia. We will return to both the hotel and restaurant on our return trips through Columbia.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2011

I beleive this was one of the best trips I have ever had and that's saying alot for a man 66 years old. The entire staff was warm, friendly and professional and many went out of their way to make my stay even more enjoyable. I would particularly like to commend general manager Mike Kelly, he has an extremely well run establishment and takes a personal interest in his guests. I also want to thank, Lydsey, Sheila and Emily for their ability to make me feel special. They couldn't have been any nicer. I would to mention madison and even though I only dealt with them on the phone Whitney and Rob were both more than gracious.
As I said this is a once in a lifetime experience for me.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My husband booked a room for us at Stoney Creek without consulting me (how romantic!). When we pulled up I wasn't sure if it would work out. It sits pretty close to a busy road and looks...well...cheesy from the outside. Anyplace with a huge plastic moose in front can only be described as cheesy. I was thinking this is more the place to come with the kids...not for romance. We got inside and the front desk staff was TOP NOTCH!! Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!! They even printed out a map for us so we could get to Jack's Gourmet Restaurant (already reviewed it, AWESOME!). One desk person even told us how much he likes to eat there. After we were all checked in and paid for, we went down to our room. We opened the door and found the bed unmade. :( The maid was right next door so we consulted with her. She said it wasn't on he list, but that she would take care of it right away. So we went back to the front desk. We told them the maid was very nice (she was) but that we were disappointed that our room wasn't sheduled to be cleaned. We didn't get angry or loud and stayed respectful to everyone involved. They gave us a nice little discount on our room. They checked back with the maid a couple of times and told us when our room was ready. It wasn't super fast. The maid took her time so that the room would be done nice. We're glad she didn't try to rush. We went back down to our room. It was perfect. Very clean and romantic. There was even a little screened in patio if we wanted to sit in the fresh air. I used the jacuzzi. Nice and big. When we were all ready we went for dinner. As we passed the front desk, they gave us some better directions to Jack's. After dinner we stopped at the bar in the hotel. It was nice. I don't normally go to bars, so I'm no expert on how to rate them. The bartender was very nice and it was spacious enough to not be crowded. We went back to our room. We were just down from the pool, but had no noise problems from there. The people above us, however, were having a very loud party. We called the front desk and they immediatly sent someone to ask them to quiet down. They calmed down halfway (drunk?) so we ended up calling again. They sent someone again with no complaints. The rest of the night was special and private. ;)
The next morning we took advantage of their free breakfast. It was pretty good. The fruit was fresh. The juice left much to be desired. The people were very nice and neat. We checked out and came back to our house and kids completely in love with each other. Very relaxing.
We did not see any employees who were rude or frumpy (poorly dressed/bad hygine).
It is a bit cheesy wth the chain hotel/lodge theme. But it was well worth the time and money in my opinion.
Comfy bed. Very clean.

Room Tip: Be respectful. We got a room on the bottom floor; but it opened into a nice big lawn. Upstairs rooms...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2011

If this hotel tells you they are putting you on a waiting list, just move on. They have no waiting list. I thought I was on one for six months and when we just stayed there we asked at the desk about where we stood on the list. The answer? "We don't really have a waiting list. Have your husband call back every day to check if there is a change." Only then did I call their customer service. What did I get? Doublespeak. And Rob had his head elsewhere and told me to call his boss, Mike, who was on vacation. Then I called Jim, the company owner, and his admin hung up on me. There is no waiting list. And I am a victim who believed them when they said I was on the list. Unbelievable way of doing business. Nice place but really bad customer service and management.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank j b
ConcernFixer, Vice President of Corporate Support Services at Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2011

Dear JB, My sincere apologies for your experience on every level. We are completely reviewing our entire waitlist program and we certainly do not want any guests dissatisfied with our efforts to accommodate. In this era of technology where there are so many avenues for guests to make reservations, in reality, when we get a cancellation during peak times, within minutes, sometimes seconds, it is picked up again before we even knew it was available. We have shared your comments with all those involved and will better serve future guests because of your willingness to take the time to write your review. We thank you and again, we deeply regret our inability to have given you a better result, more respectfully communicated to you.