“Nachos are the Best” 5 of 5 stars

Coley's American Bistro
Ranked #48 of 375 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Saint Charles, Missouri
“Nachos are the Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Coley's has some of the best Nachos you will eat. Been there 3 times now and never had a bad meal. Ordered the Chicken Philly and it was great. The martinis were tasty, all in all great place to eat.

Visited June 2013

Des Moines, Iowa
“Cool modern restaurant with amazing food and drinks!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We had one night in Columbia, so we walked nearly the entire District trying to find the best restaurant for dinner. Coley's was the first that caught our eye, and by the end of our loop, it still sounded the best. Considering what a great meal and experience we had here, we could have saved ourselves a lot of walking by just eating here in the first place!

We noticed the nice patio as we walked up but it was a touch warm so we opted to eat inside. The interior is sleek and modern looking, with wood floors and a cool color palette. Our seats were right in front of the floor to ceiling windows that look out toward the District, and lots of natural light.

Both ravenous, we ordered drinks and an appetizer, the beer cheese dip. This was perfect to take the edge off our hunger. Think a stadium-style soft pretzel crossed with a breadstick, accompanied by a thick, spreadable dip of cheese and scallions, but more subtle and nuanced than a typical gooey cheese dip. I enjoyed a refreshing sangria, while my wife had a bloody mary that seemed well-balanced and a touch spicy.

For entrees, I went with the roasted chicken with jus, while my wife had the pesto pasta. Both featured roasted chicken (as did many menu items), which was a good choice as it was incredibly delicious. The chicken was moist and juicy, with a crisp seasoned skin. The jus was amazing, with sweet caramelized onions and the what tasted like tangy sherry or marsala. I gladly cleared my plate of the chicken, mashed potatoes and sauteed asparagus, mopping up every morsel of jus.

My wife offered a taste of her entree, and I enjoyed that too. The pesto was lively and fresh-tasting, nicely coating the spiral pasta. Tossed with green beans, tomatoes and olives, plus some more of that roasted chicken, this was a uniquely flavorful creation. And a hefty portion of it, too, as we took a box with almost half of the pasta home with us for a later tasty treat.

Finally, all of this superb food came at a shockingly reasonable price. I can't think of a lot of dinners out where my wife and I can have an appetizer, drinks and two entrees of this caliber for $40, but that was about where we ended the night. I've spent much more on far less impressive meals at other restaurants. Were I a Columbia resident, Coley's seems like a shoo-in for a favorite restaurant to return to again and again. As it is, we'll just have to remember our one trip there fondly and maybe plan another trip to central Missouri in the future.

• Visited May 2013
Columbia, Missouri
“PERFECT!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

First time going there....didn't want to get TOO full, so I ordered the Salmon spinach salad with Honey-Bacon dressing. The menu claimed "fresh spinach" and it was SO fresh!! I was very impressed. The salmon was good to perfection and tasted perfect with nothing on it! But the honey-bacon dressing..was just incredible! It actually tasted like honey bacon, but it was somehow perfect with the salmon and the spinach. Plus, it was actually a satisfying salad-I wasn't hungry after eating it!! I also got mashed potatoes, which you could tell were homemade :)

Our water glasses were never empty, because the waiter always came and filled them promptly.
My boyfriend got the honey-citrus chicken wrap and it was the perfect balance and sweet & spicy! He also got the pepperjack mac&cheese, which also had a kick to it but was amazing.
First of MANY times we will go there! Very happy.
(Plus, the two of us entrees & sides [they are served a la carte] for UNDER $25!)

• Visited December 2012
Durham, North Carolina
“Fantastic Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

While I hadn't heard anything about this place for the first year I lived here, I have now been several times. It seems that they are really not as well known as most other downtown restaurants. That can only be good for you, because I've never had to wait. Exceptional food and a great wine list. Will continue to frequent.

• Visited June 2012
Columbia, Missouri
“Could be my favorite restaurant in Columbia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

This seriously could be my favorite restaurant in Columbia.
They have some kick [--] nachos (though I usually ask for extra cheese)!
I really enjoy the Cajun Chicken Philly and the Hoisin Pork chop.

They also have a martini club which is really cool. After 10 martinis you get a $10 gift certificate you can use on your next visit. How cool is that?
The coffee cake martini is my favorite.
This place is still a undiscovered gem in Columbia...so check it out while it isn't packed!

• Visited April 2012