“Unbelievable!”

Ranked #30 of 36 Hotels in Columbia
Kansas City, Missouri
“Unbelievable!”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Ok so I would like to start by saying I never review places and am typically the type of person to suck it up and deal with it, so please take the fact that I am taking the time to write a review as a warning.
I was traveling with my 4 year old daughter and it was 12:30 in the morning. I needed to stop and get some rest. I wanted a hotel with close access to I-70 and someone told me this place had decent rates so I thought why not. I wasn't looking for the frills just a place to lay my head. The pictures of the lobby are completely inaccurate. Its now a tiny room you walk into and talk to the guy from behind glass. I paid for my room and he gave me a key.
We made our way around to our room and went to unlock our door. There was a NAKED woman on the bed who jumped up and slammed the door! I couldn't make this up! I was shocked..my little girl was shocked! I called the front desk and told them. I told him that I was going to come back to the office and he insisted he would come to me. I waited by my car and watched as he went to the room and knocked until naked lady answered. They talked for a bit which I thought was too friendly and strange, and then he came to me and said he was sorry and gave me a new key to the room right next to her! I went inside and things continued to get worse.
I now didn't feel safe at all..who's to say someone wouldn't walk into my room! The door deadbolt took a lot of fiddling but I finally got it to lock. The walls are paper thin (I could hear naked woman next door on the phone) The carpet was disgusting and filthy. There was cigarette burns in the comforter in this "non smoking room". There was a wad of toilet paper in the toilet. The furniture was worn and old. I cant speak for the comfort of the bed because I didn't lay down.
We collected our things and went back around to the office. I told him I couldn't stay there and I would like to be refunded my money paid. He seriously asked me if there was a problem. I reminded him of naked lady and said who's to say that won't happen to me and that I didn't feel safe especially with my child with me. He told me it was his mix up and it wouldn't happen again but I told him I wanted to leave. I was given my refund and we moved on. Take a warning..do yourself a favor and pick somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2014
5 Thank OneTiredMommy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed May 18, 2014

I am a frequent traveler and I understand the service differences between 1 star and 5 star hotels. It is unfortunate that our new house was delayed on when we could move in, forcing us to get a hotel room on the busiest weekend in Columbia, graduation weekend. The nice hotels were completely sold out and my fiance found Royal Inn. We have an infant daughter and requested a non smoking room. When we got to the room the smell of smoke was so heavy it almost made my fiance whom smokes himself, sick. We had paid for three nights and decided we would wait till morning and see if we could switch rooms. There was nothing open so we stayed and aired it out best we could. We got no houskeeping the entire stay until the day we were checking out we got asked at 9 am if we were leaving yet by houskeeping because he wanted to clean the room. My fiance was very upset that it wasnt even check out and they were bothering us to leave. We looked around town and tried to find another place to stay but every where we went they had no rooms. I went to work and my fiance decided he would try again. The Royal Inn was the only place available and we had no where else to go. They had one smoking room available and nothing else. Well considering our other room was non smoking and it reeked like an ashtray we took it. We had another three night stay since our house wasnt ready till the next week and after sunday we could leave to another hotel. The room was nicer and less smoke smelling. They had one towel per room. No hair dryer like they advertise on the website, no iron. The soap is a joke. The first morning we were woken up by housekeeping at 945 am, with a infant sleeping feet from the door they asked three times to the point we had to scream no no NO! Causing her to start crying. I was very upset and went to the front office he did nothing just stood there and told me to come back at three. The highway does not help the noise but random people calling our room, knocking on our door, and to be woken up the second day by someone right outside our door 7am talking laughing and shouting as we are trying to sleep. I asked them nicely to get away from my door I was sleeping and I did not want them to wake my child. They scuffed and went about five feet away, still able to hear them, my fiance called the front desk. Nothing changed so he went to the office. Asking that we get our money back and they tell us to switch rooms. They charged us extra for more than one person in the room, they have terrible customer service and are by far the worst place I have ever stayed.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank smoore1227
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed December 24, 2013

The room was adequate. The staff friendly. The location was a bit tricky to find at first but worked out okay. The negative was that the entire non-smoking floor reeked. The room not so much, but you could still get a whiff of that stale smoke smell.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank epointguy
Clarksville, Missouri
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I got this for $50 on Priceline, and that was the advertised price outside when we pulled up. We just needed a place to sleep after MU beat Texas A&M to become SEC East Champs. For that purpose, it worked just fine.

Pros:
* Clean
* Shower + tub (though I didn't use it)
* Cable TV
* Well-lit parking lot
* Right off I-70

Cons:
* Was obviously a previously smoking room turned non-smoking. I hate that smell but was able to endure it for the 8 hours that we spent sleeping there.
* When I booked it, it said two queen beds, but it was only one queen bed (Room 219)
* You can kinda here the people in the next room.
* Our heater would emit this whine about 2 minutes after turning it on so we kept it off all night.
* The pictures provided by the company on this page are not accurate - I wish I had taken some.

For $50, it was perfect for us since we weren't going to be in there long. If I expected to spend any time in it, I would probably book somewhere else.

Room Tip: Don't take Room 219 if you want to use the heater. Bring hand soap as the bar soap they provide...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Athens, Alabama
Reviewed April 23, 2013

A great location with friendly and helpful employees and decent although dated rooms. This is a three story property with exterior entrances and an elevator. The rooms have tubs and not just a shower as some of the Motel 6's. The parking is ample, clean and well lighted. Lots of restaurants in close proximity including a Red Lobster next door.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room to the rear-away from the highway and a lower floor if possible as this can be...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hayden id.
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We used this motel on our trip back east. It is centerly located next to I-90, but is not as easy to access as some other motels. The service was good but they do not have any breakfast that is so common in the market today. The room was clean and it was very quiet that night. I would stop there again when we are in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank RJBHAYDENID
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 10, 2012

First of all, the profile picture of this hotel is wrong. This hotel is a single, 3 story building. It is as disgusting looking though. The only reason we stayed here was because it was the last hotel room available for a Missouri football game. Our rate was $79 for the Saturday night. We weren't in the hotel other than to sleep. When we arrived, the lady that helped us was nice, but it was her 2nd day. She was obviously overwhelmed and not 100% sure what she was doing. Her manager was also there helping. She was also relatively nice but extremely frazzled. She was on the phone talking to a customer, checking in another customer, and helping her front desk agent who was new all at the same time. When we were told our room wasn't ready (we did arrive early, so this was understandable), they recommended we go get a drink. Presumably, this was so our sense of smell and sight wouldn't be at 100% when we saw the hotel room. We passed and went to a Starbucks for a coffee. The room was ready about an hour later. When we returned to pickup our keys and go to our room, it was exactly as you would probably imagine. Small, bare, and smelled bad. I can say that this room is better than the Days Inn next to it because I have also had the unfortunate pleasure of staying there. The room served its purpose. Nothing was stolen from the room. We were alive the next day when we woke up. We didn't have bed bug bites or catch any communicable diseases (that we know of).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends