“Good on-the-road choice”

Red Roof Inn Columbia
Ranked #32 of 36 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed January 7, 2010

We were on a long trip in December 2009 and decided to stay in Columbia, Mo on the way home if we could make it that far. We had checked with tripadvisor for several good choices in Columbia, but decided on the Red Roof because we had had very good luck with one in Kentucky. We found the Red Roof easily and since It was the middle of the week, we received the $39.99 price (king-size bed, non-smoking) plus taxes. We had a first floor room on the office side and it was very quiet. The room looked like it had been recently renovated and was very neat and clean. It was a cold night and the room had a modern "radiant" hot water heating system, which is basically a radiator system. It took a little while to reach a comfortable temperature, but it made no noise, unlike most wall-mounted heat exchange systems, and helped with a good night's sleep. The bed was on the firm side (typical for Red Roofs, it seems) but very comfortable. This was an excellent value for the money and we recommend it for anyone looking for a good, moderately- priced place to stay for a night or two. We definitely will stay there again if in the area.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 25, 2009

I erred in making my reservation for "smoking" and the desk galdly changed it to "non-smoking." With economy hotels, it is not unusual to experience a smoking smell in a non-smoking room. Not so here. This is an "original" style RRI and the room was freash, clean, and well appointed. Staff was friendly and interested in their service.
My only complaint is the complementary coffee was non-descript.
Will definitly stay again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2009

Got checked into my room after a wait. The room was okay, but could stand to be updated. No real amenities like breakfast or internet. I was in town for the game and the location was good, just two miles up the street to the stadium. I left for the Mizzou vs. Nebraska game, the game ended late so I just wanted to get back to my room. Appearently someone got shot in the head in the parking lot outside of their room while the game was playing. At that point I just wanted to get out of there, but the staff was impossible to find and the police wouldn't let us back to our rooms, not even to get our stuff. Every other hotel in town was sold out. This is the scariest, worst experience I have ever had at a hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 25, 2007

Red Roof Inns are a cut above the budget motels. I have stayed in several inns. Most of the time the rooms are nice. This inn was clean. It was well kept up. The price was very reasonable. I would stay at this inn again. They don't offer breakfast, but coffee,tea and hot choc. are in the office.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank meterman
Reviewed February 1, 2007

Decided to stay at this Red Roof after reading the bad reviews of the Motel 6 Columbia Southwest.

Pros: It's cheap (especially if you book online) and clean. Nice comfy bed. Small but functional bathroom. Moderately quiet. Convenient location off I70 exit 126. Bandana's BBQ right across the parking lot (highly recommended!)

Cons: the Tmobile Hotspot signal stinks. Didn't find enough signal to use the internet anywhere in the motel -- even the lobby. Also, the TV channel selection is mediocre and the picture quality is really bad. Even PPV picture was grainy.

Overall -- a decent place if you just want a place to sleep close to I70, but don't plan on doing anything else.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank jkersenbr
A TripAdvisor Member
Wichita, KS
Reviewed July 11, 2006

We stay here whenever we travel from KS to IL and back again. We have stayed at RRInn several trips and our children and their children have stayed here also. We always have nice accomodations and we like the extra of outside entrances and ground floor rooms which is especially nice if you are handicapped. The prices are excellent also.

• Stayed: April 2005
Reviewed April 15, 2006

While on a road trip my husband, myself & two cats stayed here. Of seven nights on the road this was our cheapest but it was a decent place. The room was a bit small but functional. The bed was comfortable. Our tv remote was not working when we arrived. My husband called the front desk and they provided us with replacement batteries right away. The hotel is not in the greatest of neighborhoods but the necessary conveniences are nearby, and its close to I80. We enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed: October 2005