“Great Place to meet friends or go on a date”
Review of Room 38

Room 38
Ranked #31 of 409 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: E. Walnut St.
Transit: Bus stop on our corner
Description: Room 38 Restaurant and Lounge is Columbia’s premiere venue for dining, entertainment, and special events. Conveniently located in the heart of downtown Columbia, Room 38 is within walking distance from local hotels, live music and performing arts venues, and just minutes away from Hearnes Center, Mizzou Arena, and Farot Field. Room 38 provides an upscale atmosphere with a contemporary approach, and is your destination when looking to experience the best Columbia has to offer.Whether you are looking for an amazing dining experience of shared plates, would like to relax and unwind with your closest friends, sip signature cocktails, need a destination for after dinner to lounge and drink the night away, or are looking for a sophisticated atmosphere to host your next corporate event, Room 38 Restaurant and Lounge stylishly accommodates.
Reviewed May 25, 2016

Love the atmosphere here.
The staff is very friendly and they love customers. Great place for groups or couples.

Reviewed May 9, 2016 via mobile

Had to do some work before a big meeting coming up so I stopped into room 38 because I had a gift card so I thought I would grab a drink while I waited. Went in and got greeted immediately after I sat down by Sheely. She was a wonderful waitress and never let my drink go empty. She could see I need some time to work and let me do just that without ignoring my needs.

Fun place great experience. Thanks Sheely! I'll defiantly be back soon!

Reviewed April 10, 2016 via mobile

I went to school in Columbia many years ago and if room 38 had been there it would have been my favorite then and it's a definite favorite now.

We went late Sunday morning and stayed until they closed at 3 p.m. . There wasn't anywhere to sit when we got there but we finally got a seat at the bar and started drinking the bottomless mimosas. Met and talked with many interesting and friendly people. I had the shrimp and grits which was spot-on. I don't eat many spices and I ordered with the sauce on the side and they brought it with the sauce on it which was too spicy for me but they took it back immediately and brought me a new serving and I loved it. My friend has some sort of filet and eggs and he said it was very good too. I would definitely go back to room 38.

Reviewed April 9, 2016

I made a reservation here for my 19th birthday on a Monday and I was informed that management would be calling me back the next day(for what reason I don't know) because I gave them the exact time and the amount of people. I asked the person that I was on the phone with if my reservation was confirmed and they informed that it was. The next day, I had a missed call from a Columbia, MO number and I called back and told the man that I had a missed call from them, so I assumed that it was about my reservation and he informed me that "they make a lot of calls, so he doesn't know who he may have called." So I gave him my information, without him ever asking for it, because if I didn't he would've continued to go off on a tangent about them being busy. He then informed me that my party of 20, who were coming in town to celebrate my birthday would need to be gone by 7:15 because the person that I had spoken to the day before confirmed my reservation, when in fact they had a party coming in at 7:30. By this point, I said that I could move my party up to 5 because my birthday was a few days away and I had my family planning to come into town and I didn't want to flake. During this conversation, the tone of voice that the man maintained was very rude. Not once, did I raise my voice at him. I confirmed my reservation and I called back later to speak with a manager. When I initially called back, I was informed that the management was in a long meeting. But within 5minutes, a man called me back and I assumed that this was the same man that was very disrespectful earlier. He informed me that he was management and told me that disrespect can go both ways, without even trying to hear my side of the story. I informed him that I wasn't mad but there's a way that you talk to the customers and he had infact failed me by allowing his employee(or more likely himself,b/c I don't believe he was the actual management). He eventually apologized for HIS actions, yes his actions, despite the fact that I was under the impression that I was talking to someone higher up, not him. Upon arriving, some of the people in my party were not greeted, but they just had to find their way to the "red room." The waiter, Amanda, informed us that the sharing plates were 1/2 until 6:30 and she showed us this in the menu. Mind you, we've never been here before so we knew nothing about the 1/2 off and the food was cheap in the 1st place, so we were actually surprised by the discount. When we got our bills, we realized that the plates weren't half off and Amanda acknowledged that she made a mistake, but she wasn't going to honor what she told us. In that event, we asked to speak with management and she informed us that NO MANAGEMENT WAS THERE and NONE WOULD BE THERE THAT NIGHT. Eventually, we talked to Justin (who I've concluded is the same person that I spoke with on the phone) and his first words upon arriving in our room is "y'all are giving my waiter a hard time" and he repeatedly asked us " are you calling my waiter a liar", even after Amanda stood there in his face and told him she made a mistake. I'm actually getting frustrated writing this because he actually ruined my birthday. He was very rude and unapologetic to me and my family and that's the moral of the story. He came in the room on defense, instead of trying to get to the root of the problem. I don't recommend this restaurant to anyone. The food is decent, but their customer service is horrible. I've worked in the restaurant business and some of my family are in the business and we've never experienced anything like this.

3  Thank Anyia P
Reviewed April 9, 2016

My family and some friends dined at Room 38 on April 8, 2016 at 5:00 pm. The occasion was my cousin's birthday. She attends Mizzou University and invited family to come and celebrate. This was our first time at the restaurant and unaware of any Happy Hour. Our waitress Amanda opened the menu to "Sharing Plates" which is the same as appetizers and stated they were half price and we had to spend a minimum of $250(for Happy Hour). Later, she comes back and states, "she made a mistake, we will have to pay full price". We requested a manager and was told there was none on-site. Then the kitchen manager, Justin came to us disrespectful and unapologetic not trying to hear the customer view at all. It got to the point Justin was arguing back and forth with us. This is not good customer service!!! It really wasn't about the mistake on Amanda's part, but how it was handled when the suppose manager Justin came out ready to attack us "the customers keep the restaurants in business". I will tell all my family and friends not to patronize this establishment, because the customer opinion doesn't matter. It seems that the manager and employees are always right, not the customer. Please do not visit Room 38, Columbia, MO

1  Thank rosalindruffin49

Been to Room 38? Share your experiences!