“It's Sushi”

Kampai
Ranked #65 of 407 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We went there tonight and had a good sample of their sushi rolls: Tuna, Samurai Warrior, Tiger, Dragon, Sunset, Dynamite, Crazy, Caterpillar, Volcano, Jurassic, CoMo, Kampai. Plus white tuna, salmon and scallop sashimi, along with edamame and seawood salad. And, mochi ice cream. Of course, a few beers, too. So...great service and good atmosphere, although access can be challenging especially if it is raining due to the "river alley" that is created. To the food critique...our favorite rolls were the Samurai, Tiger and Sunset. The rest were just okay, nothing we would order again. Most rolls seemed a little bland and uninspired. If we had to choose the worst, it would be the tuna, simply not good. The sashimi was consistent with other places, so it was average. Mochi for dessert was interesting, good and flavorful. Overall, it isn't anything special or above the other sushi places in town. While the owners may have come from St. Louis to try to make place in the Columbia market, they still have a ways to go.
Reviewed July 5, 2012

If you like Sushi, you get Sushi. I have visited a lot of Sushi Restaurants and I would visit here again but nothing completely over the top special about it. Don't get me wrong... it is good and I would eat here again... just not blown away.

Service was great. Loved the feel of the restaurant.

1  Thank CKC001

Reviewed June 18, 2012

This place is 1/2 way down an alley. The alley is open and is well lighted and felt very safe.

I enjoyed the sushi and was pleasantly surprised that they had gluten free soy sauce. Would eat here again.

1  Thank David M
Reviewed May 29, 2012

When Sake's closed, my husband and I were forlorn ;none of the other sushi places could compare! So when we heard of Kampai, we were excited to try it out, but weren't expecting anything beyond the run of the mill sushi items (spicy tuna, dragon roll, shrimp tempura, etc.) but we were definitely surprised at the quality and creativity that goes into Kampai's rolls! My test is to try the roll that's named after the restaurant - usually the namesake roll is supposed to knock your socks off, if it doesn't, I usually don't expect much from the other rolls. 9 times out of 10, I'm right. But the Kampai roll is amazing! This has become our favorite place to eat: dining al fesco in the evening, with the twinkle lights decorating the railing creates the perfect ambiance. I 100% would advise anyone I know to check this place out! Make sure to order Shogun Jump as an appetizer, and check out the roll on special - the combinations they come up with are incredible!

Reviewed February 17, 2012

Not the best sushi in town, but it's pretty good. Very hip location in Alley A downtown. Great lunch specials.

Reviewed November 15, 2011

This place is a lot of fun, some nights they have a DJ playing music. They have some good drink specials. I really like the set up of the place, downstairs restaurant setup while upstairs has like a lounge like feel. Food is good, perhaps the best Sushi you can get in the area (Osaka is a very close second).