“Favorite Indian Food in Columbia!”
Review of India House

India House
Ranked #167 of 399 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed February 11, 2012

India House is by far my favorite Indian restaurant in Columbia. They can make any dish as spicy as you'd like... Which is important for me, because I LOVE spicy! The servers are very friendly, and are very good at suggesting dishes for people to try based on their preferences. If you've never tried Indian food, this is the place to start!

Reviewed February 10, 2012

I just have a dinner with my family and I found that it was my mistake, going there. Very poor quality food and when I complained, the lady at the reception did not even apologize rather she didn't like that I complained about the food...
I wouldn't recommend anyone to go there....
Pathetic restaurant!!!

1  Thank 59Eric
Reviewed December 30, 2011

First of all, it is important to realize that this is a small, family owned restaurant. This means that the hours are a bit restricted and it can get a little slow when the restaurant is full. A previous reviewer mentioned that they asked for their meal as hot as possible, but wasn't satisfied with the spiciness level. That is because unless you have been there before (they will remember you, it's a small place) they will not spice your food above halfway because they have had a lot of problems with people ordering food too spicy and then sending it back and asking for something else or refusing to pay. If you have been there before, they will make your food as hot as you want it.

In terms of the food itself, it is delicious. I prefer India House hands down to the other Indian food restaurants in town or in my home town. I went with a friend who lived in India for awhile, and she commented that it was the most authentic Indian food that she had ever tasted in the Midwest. Everything is very flavorful, and they have a wide variety beyond your standard curry dishes. They give you huge servings... I have never gone with anyone who didn't take leftovers. The restaurant is small and quiet, and if you go for dinner there is a good chance that there won't be more than 5 or 6 tables taken.

Reviewed September 5, 2011

I'm not the kind of person to review restaurants, or give bad reviews. I had to after my bad experience at India house I had to. They have strange hours that they are open. And We arrived there at 2'oclock not realizing they close at 2:30. Most restaurants don't mind staying open a little longer for a customer, but they asked me to order all my food, desert and all at one time so they could clean up soon. I only found this slightly off, but did as they asked. We have eaten Indian food many times, and many places. Matter of fact, I am Indian. This food was not authentic at all. We had ordered the food to be as spicy as possible, and it was still rather bland and plain. In the two entrees my wife and I ordered had the same kind of gravy/curry and wasn't supposed to, just a difference in the kind of vegitables that were in it. We had a large order, and around a $50 dollar bill to pay. Which the money I spent wasn't the major problem, but as we my family were finishing their meal, one of their employees came up to the table and asked us to please hurry eating she would like to go home. I have never heard of any restaurant pushing people out the door because of it being at closing time, and we had a table full of food still. I wouldn't recommend anyone going to this restaurant. It is hardly indian food, and they were very rude. Not a good dining experience. I would rather order Curries, the take out indian food or maybe Taj Mahal. The indian food restaurants in Columbia need alot of work.

2  Thank P P
Reviewed October 29, 2010

This is the best Indian food in town, and competitive with Indian restaurants in larger cities. The food provides a variety of flavors, not just curry. It tastes just like the Indian food prepared for me by a friend from India - delicious. The noon buffet is a tasty bargain, but you can always order off the menu. Service is attentive, but restrained. The restaurant is clean, and quiet. A good place to eat if you want to actually have a conversation with friends. It is conveniently located in downtown Columbia.

Been to India House? Share your experiences!