“Fresh and maybe understaffed”

Hampton Inn & Suites Columbia (at the University of Missouri)
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Two of us were in town to work a large conference at the hotel. The night we checked in, there was a line of people waiting to register and one young man, Ryan, working the desk. At one point, a young woman came out from a locked office, walked up to the desk [with 8 or 9 people in the lobby] and answered a phone that had just started to ring. After fielding the call, she registered the next person in line, then disappeared back into the office. I'm not sure what that was about, but I was surprised that at 6-something in the evening with a lobby full of guests waiting to check in, and a steadily ringing phone, there was essentially only Ryan trying to handle it all. Kudos to him.

Our meeting room was fully set up that evening, for the next day. When I arrived the next morning, Stephen [whom I think was the meeting manager] greeted me in the hall. He was really on top of his game, as was the young woman who handled the beverage service. Stephen had the set-up well under control, which minimized problems. He smiled throughout the day and was responsive to every request we threw his way. Ditto for the young woman [whose name I didn't get] handling the drinks. We couldn't have asked for more.

Breakfast was healthy, which I really appreciated. Old fashioned oatmeal with nuts and dried fruit ... plus the usual dry cereals, breads/pastries, fresh fruit, etc.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
joehecht, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Columbia (at the University of Missouri), responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback regarding your recent stay with us! I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you encountered with a delayed check-in. We will definately take a look at how we can improve our efficiency of checking our guests in. Again, please accept my apologies for your delay.

We are very excited to hear how well your meeting experience went! Steven has been a wonderful addition, and it's great to hear how well he was able to meet your needs. Thank you again for your time and feedback, and thank you for choosing the Hampton Inn & Suites Columbia.

Joe Hecht
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stay here once a year for work. It is in a great location for getting to campus. I normally fly into Columbia instead of St Louis, the flight costs more but I dont have to rent a car. I take a 25 minute cab ride to the hotel and a few short cab rides to campus buildings (I have walked back from the animal science buildings and the Alumni Center and it is not to bad).

If you drive, parking is on the side and back of the hotel, the lot in front is only for the restaurant. There is a door to the lobby on the back of the hotel so as long as you are not parked on the side of the hotel, it is easy enough unload. At night they have cookies in the lobby, they have coffee and tea all day. They have breakfast (hot and cold items) in the morning and I think you can request a to go breakfast. The rooms are all pleanty big and clean. There is free internet. There is a pool and a exercise room. The exercise room has a few treadmills, an elliptical, a peddler and a weight set. There is a buisnness center with a couple computers and printer - usually one of the computers is having issues. They sell snacks in the lobby and are connected to the Stadium restaurant which is pretty good.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
joehecht, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Columbia (at the University of Missouri), responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback regarding your past stays with us! We are happy to hear that you've been able to take advantage of our close proximity to the University of Missouri campus. I apologize if you've experienced as issue with one of the computers in the business center in the past. If you should ever encounter a similar issue, please don't hesitate to let us know and we'll get it taken care of for you immediately! Thank you again for your comments! Joe Hecht, Assistant General Manager.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

The room I was in was fantastic! It was a king suite which was way more than I needed for the night. Extra large room, fridge, microwave, sink, & coffemaker in the kitchen area, large sink area outside of the bathroom, couch, desk/table with 2 chairs, plenty of lighting, lamp with plugs for charging phones or computer on the desk, & the bed was sooooo comfortable. Electric plugs everywhere made phone charging a snap. 24 hour coffee. A breakfast was included.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
joehecht, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Columbia (at the University of Missouri), responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

We would like to thank you for leaving such wonderful comments regarding your recent stay with us! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope you will allow us to continue serving you on your next visit to Columbia! Joe Hecht, Assistant General Manager.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Overall, this was the normal Hampton experience with the exception of some maintenance issues that made the hotel seem worse than it probabbly is.

I had no hot water for one morning shower. I reported this and the next morning it was hotter. I also had a vibrating A/C unit that made earplugs mandatory. I did finally figure out that if I put the ubiquitous Hampton bed tray on top of the A/C it did stop the vibration.

These were just enough irritations to insure I won't stay at this Hampton again. While I subscribe to the notion of not sweating the small stuff, a hot shower and a good nights sleep are fundamental to any well run hotel.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Rutman
joehecht, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Columbia (at the University of Missouri), responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

I would first like to thank you for taking the time to leave feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you experienced during your stay, and know that these issues are not typical of our facility. For you inconveniences I have invoked our 100% Hampton Guarantee for the first night of your stay. I hope that you will allow us another opportunity during a future visit to Columbia to provide you with a more pleasurable stay experience. Thank you again for your time and feedback. Joe Hecht, Assistant General Manager.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

After two sleepless nights in another local hotel we switched to Hampton Inn once the football weekend was past and space was available. What a difference! We stopped to get directions in the morning before we were even checked in and the desk staff offered us coffee and got us routed around a foot race that was blocking our way. He greeted us again in the afternoon and got us checked into a pretty, nicely appointed, quiet room. The shower was perfect, service friendly, breakfast varied and abundant. My only regret is that a busy schedule didn't allow us time to use the indoor pool. On non-football weekends, this is a business travelers' hotel serving the hospital and university. Being wise to the ways of fickle laptops it offers a choice of using either a wireless OR an ether net cable to connect to the Internet. Football weekends are another matter...if you aren't going to the game, stay at the other Hampton Inn and spare yourself a king-size traffic jam around the stadium.

Room Tip: We had a pleasant king room on the first floor and found it ample for our needs. We appreciated the...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
joehecht, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Columbia (at the University of Missouri), responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

We would like to thank you for leaving your review of our property! We are very happy to hear that we were able to make your time here in Columbia more enjoyable, and hope that you will allow us to serve you again during future visits to Columbia! Joe Hecht, Assistant General Manager.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times and it has always been excellent! All of the staff has been very flexible. It is an excellent location and is kept up nicely. This is the newer Hampton style.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
joehecht, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Columbia (at the University of Missouri), responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Thank you for the wonderful review! We are very excited to hear that you have enjoyed multiple stays with us, and hope that you will allow us to continue to serve you during your future visits. Joe Hecht, Assistant General Manager.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Unfortunately the reason I was here for 2 weeks was due to a family member being in the hospital. However, I'm very glad I chose the Hampton Inn! Everything was easy- I had to extend my stay and even switch rooms from one bed to two beds when another family member came to stay too and they made it all very easy. Fridge and microwave in the room was great for my long stay. Breakfast spread is awesome and walking distance to the hospital meant I didn't have to deal with a car rental. Staying here meant I had one less thing to worry about while my loved one was ill.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
joehecht, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Columbia (at the University of Missouri), responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback regarding your recent stay. We are happy to hear that you were able to enjoy your stay with us, even with the circumstances of your stay. Should you return to Columbia, we hope that you will allow us to serve your lodging needs once again. Thank you for your valuable time and feedback! Joe Hecht, Assistant General Manager.