“Good food, Great people watching”
Review of Sophia's

Sophia's
Ranked #8 of 396 Restaurants in Columbia
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

We went the night of Dancing with the stars & must say, people watching that night provided us with much needed entertainment.
The Italian nachos were excellent! Highly recommend. I had chicken caesar- very good with plenty of chicken. My husband had mediterranean pizza and said it was very good. We will go back when we are back in the area.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Very nice late luncheon at Sophia's. The Bacon Pancakes with carmel/maple syrup topped with spiced walnuts was really tasty. The Breakfast Casserole and the Italian Nachos with housemade pasta chips were also quite tasty. Their signature dessert (whose descriptive name escapes me) was a chocolate lovers dream with ice and whipped cream to boot. This has almost always been a really good dining place and only a 15 minute wait was surprising.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Sophia's was formerly one of my favorite places to recommend for out-of-town visitors. Now, however, the quality is too variable. During the past several months, the overall experience has varied between excellent and OK. There is inconsistency in food quality, significant variance in portions, and overall less care in preparation. For example, the soups are delicious, but frequently contain slices of meat 3 or 4 times larger than can be consumed in a spoonful. One should not need a knife to eat soup.

The overall impression is a decline in general management resulting in less attention to core quality and details. And less supervision of staff in general. My last two visits provide examples of this. Sophia's often has an intriguing special and excellent soup of the day listed on a board at the entrance. Recently, I attempted to order the great-sounding special only to learn that they'd run out. No problem, it was popular and I was too late. But when I left the restaurant one hour later, that same special was still listed on the board. You'd think the hosts could have spared 10 seconds to erase the no-longer-special.

Next visit, the special and soup weren't listed on the board 15 minutes after opening. Upon inquiring, I learned "we don't have a special or soup yet today." Well, maybe I'll wait a few minutes if it's something I'm interested in. What soup will it be? We don't know yet. No explanation. Hey, maybe the chef was ill, the backup was late. Maybe there was a good reason. However, the tables weren't fully set up either, as salt and pepper shakers arrived 5 minutes after I did. Finally, I was served a glass of iced tea that had some sort of gummy substance stuck to the inside of the glass. To her credit, the server noticed me studying my glass and picked up on my "I'm not gonna drink that" look as I pushed it away -- and proactively brought a replacement.

I've considered offering a new review several times overal the past few months but each time decided, no, maybe they had to replace the manager, let's give 'em time to get back on track. I'm posting this now in hope that Sophia's will get back to the consistent, great dining experience it used to be.

2  Thank Congenuity
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed the food, but the service needs attention. Long wait after ordering, poor follow-through, and general malaise about taking care of our party of 9.
Prices are high for what you get, lacks value. Selection is good, and the presentation is quite nice....just on the pricey side for what was received.
Food was indeed tasty though, great spice level and flavors.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I went back with a group of people for lunch, and the staff was so arrogant that even though there was no one in the place, they made us wait until our whole party was there! Food was fine, but didn't come close to making up for the arrogance of the staff and atmosphere. (by the way, my group was well-dressed business people- nice and well-behaved, too- supposedly just the types they would want to cater to!)

As mentioned, food was fine, but staff so overbearing that it ruined the whole experience. Apparently, this is the message they want to send- we are the "cool place" - you are not cool enough to eat here!