“On a rainy night, the place was still a shining star”
Review of Le Santal

Le Santal
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 17, 2013

From the moment we arrived, to the valet parking in an off neighborhood, we were amazed. Umbrella's and Valet started our night, but once we arrived into this quaint restaurant with amazing views, the calm of the night set in. We were seated at a waterfront table, with huge awnings that protected us from the downpours. Once the rain stopped, they rose the awnings, and the view was absolutely amazing. Clear calm waters, Anguilla, and Nettles Bay all a part of the fantastic view. The wine list is all french, and we definitely explored. Wine recommendation was fabulous. Menu was amazing. And, as the polite french do it, the men had menu's with prices and the women did not. This place was first class from the moment we arrived. They honor the $1 to 1 Euro, but they ask for tips in cash. They do accept Visa/Mastercard for payment of dinner. One of the best restaurants with the best ambiance in St Maarten that I have ever experienced. A must do. Reservations needed, and best tables are for parties of 4 or less.

1  Thank Jetchic
There are newer reviews for Le Santal

Reviewed April 15, 2013

The restaurant has little balconies, 5 I think, jutting out over the water, with tables for two, so that is the desired seating area. Food was very good in general and the soufflé for dessert was excellent. The service was warm and welcoming although more formal than what I am now used to. It's classic French with less island influence than other restaurants we ate at. The location is a little out of the way, on a narrow residential street but there was valet parking. It was worth the drive to get there.

2  Thank knitsforfood
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We just came back from dinner and haven't stopped talking about it yet. We have eaten in some of the best restaurants in the world and Le Santal is right up there at the top. We were seated at on of the tables that literally has you just about on the water. The view of Anguilla is stunning and the bubbles that magically appear every once in awhile make it look like fairies dancing in the sky. We started with an amuse bouche of the tiniest of duck filled spring rolls with a spicy sweet and sour sauce. On to a puff pastry topped onion soup that had layers of flavors, next escargot with 3 different sauces and placed on little puff pastry boats. My husband had the veal chop that had a black mushroom and cream sauce that I could have drank ! Meat was perfectly cooked and fork tender. My entree of duck was wonderful with glazed pinapple and small rounds of potates-- my only complaint, I neede more of those potatoes they were that great. Dessert was alighter then air Grand Marnier souffle with a gracious after dinner drink that was rum based. All in all-- a wonderful dinner in a magical place. I want them to adopt me so I can eat there everyday or at least let me work in the kitchen to see how food magic is created. On an island that is a foodie's paradise, we're going back this weekend for more !

3  Thank mperfume
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Everything was outstanding. I had fresh grouper which was tender and sweet. My husband had a fabulous salt crusted mahi. The Grand Marnier souffle dessert was possibly one of the best desserts I have ever had. Wonderful ambiance, service and very high quality food.

3  Thank ElizabeththeQueen
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Le Santal is definitely a meal to remember for my girlfriend and I. The restaurant is situated right on the bay and the waves were rough that week. Needless to say a wave came up and surprised us both with a splash before our appetizers came. The staff was very attentive in making sure we were alright and changing out the plates and silverware as well as providing my gf a sweater because of the wind which was making the night a little chilly.
The food was flavorful, well prepared, and dinner service was timed perfectly. Classic French cuisine, classic French service. Wonderful view. The dog at the restaurant makes for a great dinner companion, he is very well behaved and very cute.
We will definitely be back for dinner next time we are on the island, just perhaps on a calmer ocean day!

1  Thank NicholasGM