“Everything great from service to standards, only one issue!”

The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
London, United Kingdom
“Everything great from service to standards, only one issue!”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Great and attentive service which I would expect from the Ritz group, - my only gripe is that in spite of several requests the billing was wrongly handled and this made the check out lengthy and hard work, especially at 5am!
The front desk staff (one person at that time) tried very hard to correct but it is so very unnecessary and just indicates that there needs to be proper liaison between reservations and front desk, or that the reservation info is correctly entered!
Having said that the service and the rooms were beautiful.

2 Thank Pheephox

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Korean first
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed March 3, 2014

For the past eight years I have taken my family to high tea on Sunday afternoon a minimum of four times a year. The hotel is elegant and the service was always delightful as Alice officiated high tea on Sundays. She is very skilled at the art of tea. The reservationist was also very helpful, polite, and accommodating. Starting with Summer 2013, the food has been diminished to stale and tasteless. It is obvious that the fair is made well in advance as the bread is stale and the scones, madelaines, etc. are hard and appear to be leftovers. However, we still preserved as it is a tradition. I called to make reservations for March 2 and was informed that they no longer serve tea on Sundays. Kelly took the reservation and it sounded as if she was also washing dishes while a crew of sailors cursed and made merriment in the background. I asked if the discontinuation of Sunday tea was temporary and all she could say is, "We only have tea on Saturdays." After the third attempt to ascertain if this was a temporary change, I gave up.
We arrived for tea. Our server was Lorena. She was very hard to understand and appeared to be very nervous. She immediately complained that she needed help as it was very crowded. She had three tables. As it was my daughters birthday she brought the tea and a birthday brownie with a candle. It was a nice touch had it come at the appropriate time. A manager came out with a tiered stand that held three plates of food. He held one in each hand and was swinging them back and forth as he walked to the table. Unprofessional, unappetizing, and just plain tacky. Our tea went cold as we had not seen our server for over 45 minutes. I went looking for her and had no luck finding anyone after ten minutes. The concierge finally appeared at his station. I was headed towards him when Lorena finally arrived and asked if we were ready to go and needed to go boxes. When I explained we were not done with tea and would like hot tea, she seemed disappointed. We had barely been there an hour of which we spent most of the time waiting for our food. I think she felt bad because she offered each of us a jar of jam with the bill. One jar didn't even have a label on it so we aren't even sure what it is or how old it is. The hotel lobby bathroom was also filthy. I've seen cleaner bathrooms at the airport. I would also think that in 8 years the chef could find some different recipes for savories and sweets as the other fine hotels change their tea selections seasonally. To its credit, I can say that the valet staff were lovely and retrieved our car in a timely manner. We won't be going back to the Ritz in St. Louis. Despite it being a 5 hour trip we will head to the Peabody in Memphis for our quarterly high tea. They definitely need to make Alice their exclusive tea server as she understands the art, get a new chef, and have a chat with the staff about customer service. Especially, Kelly in reservations. A very disappointing experience.

Room Tip: All the rooms I've stayed in have been nice. I haven't heard any complaints regarding the ro...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank angelica t
Douglas C, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear anelica t,
I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to share feedback on your experience with our High Tea this past weekend. My apologies that this tea service was not up to par with what you have previously experienced. The detailed comments you have provided offer a great opportunity for me and the culinary team to review our High Tea and ensure we are meeting the standards you have come to expect from us.
Thank you for the wonderful comments about Alice. She is a great ambassador for us and it will be a pleasure to share your praise. Your loyalty through the past 5 years is genuinely appreciated and I hope you will allow us an opportunity to regain your confidence. I would welcome the chance to personally speak with you about your experience and may be reached at (314)863-6300.
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Everyone at this hotel is incredible. We had to leave early due to an upcoming snow storm and the front desk was pleasant and accommodating to every panicked guest. I would definitely stay here again.

1 Thank ccv352
Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I made a reservation for my daughter to stay here with her friend for a special birthday celebration. I made all the arrangements by phone, and everyone was exceptionally kind and helpful. The night was magical for my daughter, and she enjoyed a late check-out, room service, and the beautiful ambiance of the hotel itself. Everyone she encountered treated her like a princess, and made this birthday amazing!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank ilona06
Douglas C, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear ilona06,
I enjoyed reading your comments about your daughter’s birthday experience with us at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis. I was thrilled that the ladies and gentlemen made it such a wonderful celebration. Every young lady deserves to feel like a princess. Thank you for allowing us to be a part of her special day.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Arriving in the polar vortex and a small blizzard but the service didn't stop. Easy and very friendly check in and then off to a large and elegant room. The Bar/ restaurant area was nice and open and has a rich feel to it. The menu selection was minimal but excellent. The service was very friendly but it was slow to start as I not sure we were noticed. The business function we attended at the hotel was well done with great facilities and food. We went to the Chop house across the street for dinner which was pricy and good as well as convenient. there was a cigar bar in the hotel that several took in and you could smell it on them and just barely in the common areas of the hotel. I am very sensitive to the smell of smoke and it didn't bother me, i just noticed it. Not much of a gift shop or any other shops. Classic style and service of a Ritz.

1 Thank Cobo418
Alliance, Ohio
Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Ritz Carlton four nights as part of a business trip to St. Louis. The hotel is very nice, with nicely appointed room. This was my first stay at a Ritz Carlton, and I was expecting something a little more extravagant. This is, however, a very nice hotel and has something of an early twentieth-century flavor, even though it's actually a much newer hotel. Ordinarily, I would think of this as a four star experience; what pushed this to the five star range was the absolutely outstanding service.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank StigJim
Atlantic City, New Jersey
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I stayed here one night last month when visiting washington university. While my initial welcome was very nice with many support staff in the lobby I found that the entire stay was on worth the money. First, there was no turn down service and if it was optional then they should have asked me at check-in. Second, the towels were has hard as rocks and clearly were years old. Furthermore, most hotels located in similiar locations offer free local shuttle service. FOr all those visiting wash university don't waste your money staying here. The other area hotels are nicer and provide better amenties.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank cary2664
Douglas C, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear cary2664,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent visit. I was happy to read that the staff was so welcoming upon your arrival. My sincere apologies that we did not provide an experience that met with your expectations for the rest of your stay. I appreciate the feedback and opportunity you have provided to us to address these areas. If your time allows, I would welcome the opportunity to personally speak with you. I may be reached at 314.863.6300.

Douglas Chang
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
Four Seasons Hotel St. Louis
#3 of 5 in Clayton
The Cheshire
#43 of 120 in Saint Louis
Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis? Share your experiences!