“The Ritz is best base for seeing all St Louis has to offer”

The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
Orlando, Florida
“The Ritz is best base for seeing all St Louis has to offer”
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

We were in St Louis for a friends 90th birthday party. I hadn't been in St Louis in a long time and had forgotten how charming it was. The Ritz was the perfect home base. The location was perfect. We could get everywhere easily.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Korean first
Westport, Connecticut
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Ritz Carlton has been bought out by the Marriott Hotel Chain.....who knew? You should get a "Rewards #" and give it each time you check into a Marriott or a Ritz and you accrue points which count for special perks as you go along. The Ritz in St. Louis was originally constructed as a Marriott and mi-way through production was bought by an investor who changed it into a Ritz before it was completed. I LOVE the Ritz St. Louis. It is right in the middle of Clayton (that's important) near all the nightlife and restaurants and fun going on. Very close to Wash U. if you have any business there but book early for parents weekend and any Wash U. event. The lobby has "sushi hour" every evening and many night has live music. It is a glorious lobby and the concierge level is amazing, quiet and has a fantastic cappuccino maker there for your 24 hour use. The rooms--some are great and some are not. I don't mind looking over my balcony at the highway-I really don't, but some people might complain. The staff is A+, especially the front desk crew. Jason is my favorite. They keep a history on you so they know what to offer you when you check in. Since I return over and over again I get strawberries and I nice note.Keep in mind that a Ritz regular-nothing special room in NYC Central Park is over a thousand dollars with tax per night --a St. Louis room can range from the 200's up to 500 tops depending on if they have a wedding/event . The beds are comfortable and the service and the people who work there are happy to be there--you can tell by their gracious ways. I love the Ritz in St Louis. Now--you just need a reason to go to Missouri!

Room Tip: THe rooms at the end pof the hallways are the best.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Vestal
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This Ritz is a delight in every aspect from the front door to check in to a palatial room. Price was more than reasonable especially since we were attending an off site wedding. The service throughout the hotel was amazing and EVERY employee we met was friendly, courteous and smiley. We were made to feel we were welcome. We ate breakfast two days and it was fantastic and plentiful. Also ate the Sunday brunch which was not only beautifully displayed but unusually tasty. All in all we had a marvelous time.

• Stayed July 2013
Thornhill
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We recently traveled to St. Louis and spent a couple of nights at the Ritz Carlton. We found the staff very friendly and helpful. They gave us good advice on restaurants and bars in the area of the hotel. The room itself was very spacious and clean. It was not our first stay at this hotel and we would recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I am a platinum member at Marriott, so this was a treat for me to stay while on my way back home.

The staff was very accommodating, helpful and courteous. The room was large, decorated nicely and very comfortable. I had a nice sized robe waiting for me in a marble laced bathroom. The bed was king size, and had very comfy linens.

The inroom coffee was very good and ceramic cups were available.

There was free live entertainment on Sat. night along with a sushi bar and regular full bar - all a little pricey, but nothing I would not expect from the Ritz. Classy and nice.

The only downside is the Ritz does NOT recognize Platinum status with Marriott so I was not allowed on the Concierge level, very disappointing since I travel so much and have earned this status. In fact, I was a bit taken back by the rudeness of the comment of not being recognized as a valued member of Marriott - more like it was a "bad" thing to be at that level.

Overall a nice experience, but wont' be staying there again if status is not honored.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We have the pleasure to spend a few night in this lovely hotel. From the moment we pulled up to the moment we drove away we were treated with excellence.

We had two rooms, of course they were both spacious and clean. We took advantage of the spa and were not disappointed.

I had not been to this location before and I enjoyed that it was "out of the way" of busy/loud town and traffic but close enough to our favorite coffee and with in reach of some restaurants: the best of both worlds.

I am not a fan of the type of decor, but that is a personal opinion and I do not review hotels on wall paper choices.. so this was excellent because of the service and the cleanness. A time well spent.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Austin
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We have stayed here several times in conjunction with a trip to visit or place our daughter at Wash U. We love the property. The service is great. I love the cigar bar, although really sensitive non-smokers might detect some odor despite the world class air filters in there. The only criticism I have is that some of the hall carpets need replacing. I also noticed they have really increased their rates for parents' weekend, but they can probably get away with it. For those rates, I would probably stay at the Four Seasons and make the drive from downtown, although a better tip is to skip parent weekend altogether and visit your student when they actually have time to spend with you, such as fall break. You can't beat the proximity to the University. The indoor pool is not that great, and the spa is pretty much non-existent, but the masseuses are excellent. Be sure to book your stay well in advance if you are doing a college trip.

Room Tip: With an east facing room you can just get a distant view of the arch.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
Four Seasons Hotel St. Louis
Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch
Westin St. Louis
Westin St. Louis
#19 of 120 in Saint Louis

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis? Share your experiences!