“I was delighted with the improvements to this hotel”

The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
Reviewed June 10, 2013

It has been several years since I visited this property. I was delighted with the improvements. The rooms look completely refreshed. They felt exceptionally clean, and all the soft furnishings looked new. Their were plenty of lighting sources, so the room could be as bright as wanted. This is rare to find in even the top hotels. The linens were top notch as were the towels. They felt as if you were the first person to use them. Good water pressure as well as upscale amenities. The staff we encountered were all friendly and pleasant. I would definitely return when next I visit St. Louis.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 6, 2013

This is not your typical Ritz Carlton

Service: the welcome was friendly and everyone including the doormen, bellhop, front desk, and restaurant staff were very accommodating.

Room: I was extremely unimpressed by our room. I was staying with my husband and our room had one robe and no slippers. The bathroom was bare with no floormat and one towel each. I was amazed to find that my toiletry bottles were half empty(!!) when we arrived! The disappointment continued when I came to the room to grab something at 10pm and our room had not been turned over! This is clearly not a standard Ritz. I called housekeeping and they came to turnover while I went back out to meet friends. When I got back past midnight the room was turned over now complete with bath mats and extra towels. It is a mystery as to why my room was not properly set up when we arrived. (They did NOT put out another robe though...nor slippers)

Hotel itself is quite dated with 100 year-old appearing chandeliers in the elevators. However, everything is well kept and clean.

The Grill food (brunch) was simple, fresh and tasty. I can't comment on the price as my friend hosted an event Ni enjoyed everything from the fresh squeezed OJ to the pastries and scrambled eggs. The brioche French toast was a bit soggy but otherwise fine.

Overall the room was very disappointing and gains the most weight. I was not impressed and I do not feel our experience was what I expect from a Ritz Carlton.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed a week during the Sr PGA championship. The staff were prompt, friendly and helpful. The room was well maintained and was made up daily without issues. There was nightly entertainment in the lobby bar and on Saturday night it looked like this was the place to be after the wedding reception elsewhere. Sushi is prepared fresh each evening in the lobby bar. It is very good. Overall great location, extraordinary customer service, and very nice accommodations.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Ritz the night of our wedding. We arrived very late, and starved. We were informed that room service operated 24 hours. We ordered off the menu, not expecting greatness given it was 2am. Our amazing food (seriously one of the best chicken quesadillas and ceasar
Salads I have ever had) was delivered by a wonderful woman who was so incredibly nice! She brought in our table and saw how tired I looked. I explained that our wedding had been temporarily interruped by a tornado and it made for a fun but crazy night. She laughed and cheered me up with a hug! The beds are amazingly comfortable and I could have slept all day. Wonderful hotel!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We were in town for a wedding so we stayed here.

Staff was great and informative. We actually came the night before a huge ice storm was going to hit St. Louis and were highly advised by the front desk that we shouldn't make our way out the next day. Thank goodness they told us because in the morning the weather looked perfect but once 10 am hit, a serious ice storm rolled through town for a few hours.

I've stayed at a few other Ritz Carlton's and were turned off by how snobby some employees and guests can be. This location the workers were actually really pleasant and their clientele was more relaxed. We actually spent two nights at the lounge/bar area and enjoyed their drinks and appetizers. On Friday night they had a live soul band that played some classics which we enjoyed grooving to.

We didn't go around the neighborhood much because of the weather conditions but it had a few restaurants and shops that you can walk to.

The rooms were nice, clean, and good size. The downstairs lobby could use a little updating. The decor in the lobby feels like you are in a haunted mansion! Yikes!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We had the opportunity to stay at this, our local Ritz as a celebration for our anniversary. Check in was smooth. Being recognized by name is a great touch, but when the staff greeted us, it seemed forced and annoying to do so. My wife's massage was nice, she enjoyed it, but said the spa area was small, but lovely. We didn't eat at the Ritz for dinner, but at a restaurant nearby. After dinner, I enjoyed a couple of drinks and a cigar in the cigar club. The service was impeccable. Their collection of bourbons and scotches is unmatched. Not inexpensive by any means, but delightful. We slept well in the bed, it was very comfortable. The bathroom tile gets slippery and the water pressure not great, but it was fine. The problem came at breakfast time. We treated ourselves to in-room dining. My wife ordered an egg-white omelette with vegetables and was served a fritatta with the vegetables that the chef chose, not my wife. The included orange juice was left off the tray. They delivered it after we called. They didn't seem interested or concerned at all that we received the wrong entree. They didn't offer to remake it, or even apologize. When breakfast for 2, after the taxes, included gratuity of 22%, delivery charges, etc., comes to over $ 50, it really ought to be absolutely right. When, at checkout, i mentioned a problem with in-room dining, the front desk personnel said she was sorry, but seemed uninterested in what or how the problem was or wasn't resolved. This is a nit-picky review, but this is a hotel chain that overtly calls their service first-rate and their prices match. The nickel and diming of customers for self parking (@ $22 a night, per car), internet access (@ $10 daily) in addition to the haughty but somewhat apathetic staff was slightly disappointing. It's a classical and beautiful space that needs better attention to the personal details of today's guests.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sethanator
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I've never stayed here as a guest, but almost every Sunday, the local Argentine Tango community dances in the Lobby Bar. Stop by for a drink or a light dinner and watch the elegance of the Argentine Tango before your eyes. If you dare, catch the FREE lesson from 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. - always taught by local instructors; some of who are from Buenos Aires and all have studied in Argentina.

The Lobby Bar has been recently renovated and is very spacious. If you are looking for a relaxed and elegant spot to take a break, read a book, (they have books available), hear some great music (Motown style cover bands on Friday and Saturday), the Lobby Bar is the perfect place. It's spacious layout offers a variety of choices: Curl up on a couch with a book, share a quiet meal or drink with friends near the fireplace, enjoy fresh made Sushi from the Sushi bar, catch the game on the large screen at the bar or just gather around and chat with friends...or make new ones while hearing and dancing to some great local music.

Expect the great and attentive service that you would receive at any Ritz Carlton...and yes, they will remember your drink and food preferences the next time you drop by for a visit!

Covered parking rarely charges; valet is available if you prefer.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
Four Seasons Hotel St. Louis
Magnolia Hotel St. Louis
Magnolia Hotel St. Louis
#11 of 121 in Saint Louis
Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis? Share your experiences!