“Good, not great.”

The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
“Good, not great.”
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

We had the opportunity to stay at this, our local Ritz as a celebration for our anniversary. Check in was smooth. Being recognized by name is a great touch, but when the staff greeted us, it seemed forced and annoying to do so. My wife's massage was nice, she enjoyed it, but said the spa area was small, but lovely. We didn't eat at the Ritz for dinner, but at a restaurant nearby. After dinner, I enjoyed a couple of drinks and a cigar in the cigar club. The service was impeccable. Their collection of bourbons and scotches is unmatched. Not inexpensive by any means, but delightful. We slept well in the bed, it was very comfortable. The bathroom tile gets slippery and the water pressure not great, but it was fine. The problem came at breakfast time. We treated ourselves to in-room dining. My wife ordered an egg-white omelette with vegetables and was served a fritatta with the vegetables that the chef chose, not my wife. The included orange juice was left off the tray. They delivered it after we called. They didn't seem interested or concerned at all that we received the wrong entree. They didn't offer to remake it, or even apologize. When breakfast for 2, after the taxes, included gratuity of 22%, delivery charges, etc., comes to over $ 50, it really ought to be absolutely right. When, at checkout, i mentioned a problem with in-room dining, the front desk personnel said she was sorry, but seemed uninterested in what or how the problem was or wasn't resolved. This is a nit-picky review, but this is a hotel chain that overtly calls their service first-rate and their prices match. The nickel and diming of customers for self parking (@ $22 a night, per car), internet access (@ $10 daily) in addition to the haughty but somewhat apathetic staff was slightly disappointing. It's a classical and beautiful space that needs better attention to the personal details of today's guests.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sethanator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Korean first
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I've never stayed here as a guest, but almost every Sunday, the local Argentine Tango community dances in the Lobby Bar. Stop by for a drink or a light dinner and watch the elegance of the Argentine Tango before your eyes. If you dare, catch the FREE lesson from 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. - always taught by local instructors; some of who are from Buenos Aires and all have studied in Argentina.

The Lobby Bar has been recently renovated and is very spacious. If you are looking for a relaxed and elegant spot to take a break, read a book, (they have books available), hear some great music (Motown style cover bands on Friday and Saturday), the Lobby Bar is the perfect place. It's spacious layout offers a variety of choices: Curl up on a couch with a book, share a quiet meal or drink with friends near the fireplace, enjoy fresh made Sushi from the Sushi bar, catch the game on the large screen at the bar or just gather around and chat with friends...or make new ones while hearing and dancing to some great local music.

Expect the great and attentive service that you would receive at any Ritz Carlton...and yes, they will remember your drink and food preferences the next time you drop by for a visit!

Covered parking rarely charges; valet is available if you prefer.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed May 23, 2013

The Ritz Carlton is not only in a beautiful building with magnificent views, but it is also right in the heart of the business district.
The staff were very charming, even to the point that after we had a small issue at check in, they ensured we received a beautiful glass candle holder a s a gift to apologise, i was floored with the gesture!
The beds are something you want to pack in your suit case and take home with you, i have never felt so close to what it feels like to sleep in a cloud.

Room Tip: Any with a view are fabulous
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Surabaya, Indonesia
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I was only here for a night so I won't do a full breakdown like I typically do. This hotel has a great location. It is close to Washington University and walking distance to downtown Clayton. I found the bedding to be extremely comfortable. The rooms are large and the bathrooms were very nice.

I found the service level at the hotel to be good, but not great. It may be that i'm used to staying at hotels in Asia but I believe it is unacceptable to see a client struggling with bags and not insist to help. Overall, I would stay here again, but mainly due to the location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ADAMLG
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I have not been to this Ritz in over 10 years. I had a client many years ago and stayed there extensively. I was surprised when I walked in that nothing had changed. My immediate thought was this is not good. My room was a nice King room. Great space and good to work at. I found the bedding exceptionally good and everything was up to Ritz Carlton standards. The only reason this review is not an excellent was in the morning as I left, I notice only USA todays. As I checked out I asked for a Wall-Street Journal. You can imagine the look on my face when they asked if the should charge the $1.50 to my room?? I looked at this person and asked if they are really going to charge me for a Wall Street Journal at the Ritz to anyone, even a Marriott Platinum (I know this is different than a Ritz Platinum, but still some status). THey said they offered USA today complimentary. I did say that I could get a free Wall Street Journal at almost any hotel I stayed at. I told them it was fine to charge me. When I saw a manager standing near by, I asked him if the Ritz was getting cheap. He clearly did not like this and offered to pick up my Wall Street. This is WAAAAY to much drama for 7am. I hope this Ritz continues to understand it is a Ritz and not the Holiday Inn express.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Gu P
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I have stayed here a number of times for work, one of the better hotels I have stayed at in the country. The rooms are the quality you would expect of a Ritz, though the balconies are a nice touch. Rooms are also very large. The staff is fantastic, very personable. The restaurants are OK, nothing fantastic, though the waiters i have had at both are great.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Lancaster PA
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I attended a conference and the lobby and public spaces met the highest standard, as did service for the conference. My one bedroom "executive suite" was very quiet and spacious, especially the bathroom, with a nice balcony view of the plaza with fountain. The fitness center was excellent, and not crowded. The bed was extremely comfortable with great bedding. Unlike some luxury hotels the room has its own coffee maker and fridge (with a big can of great peanuts and other stuff). The area has some excellent restaurants within walking distance.
So why not perfect? Only the little stuff. Having drinks in the lobby, with one wrong drink order out of five people. Two clocks in the room, one not working and the other set to the wrong time (I love spending time figuring out how to set an unfamiliar clock). A terrific marble walk in shower with a door that would not close. A lovely looking robe that was too stiff and scratchy to wear. Innumerable towels, one of which had a black mark. A fitness center supposed to open at 5 am with a locked door at 5:10 am. The reception desk helpfully provided razor and shaving cream, but then never sent the promised after shave. $10 annoyance charge for wifi.
For better or worse, the surrounding area has a safe and clean, but relatively sterile, look.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
Four Seasons Hotel St. Louis
Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch
Westin St. Louis
Westin St. Louis
#19 of 121 in Saint Louis

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis? Share your experiences!