“Nice place to rest your head in St. Louis”

The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
Reviewed November 29, 2012

This hotel wasn't too far from downtown (or the part of downtown where I was) and seemed to be a pretty convenient location. As others have pointed out, it does seem to get busy in the evening. I was there during the week and the lobby was quite active.
Fine service from the front desk and a decent room service menu.
The room was quite nice - it was a lot more spacious and luxurious than I expected. Things were clean and quiet.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed November 26, 2012

It's being our first stay in a Ritz our expectations were very high. Everyone greeted us by name and was very friendly. When we got to the room, it wasn't spectacular, the bathroom had mildew in the shower and the vanity, the carpet was stained and the room did not have a functional iron. Also on a Saturday night the valets get very backed up, it took 45 minutes to get our car from the valet, if you are staying on a Saturday, consider calling well ahead of time if you need your car right away, this is a very busy place!! Room service was very friendly but the food was only ok, not spectacular. I would definitely give this hotel another chance for a future stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 16, 2012

My one night stay at the Ritz-Carlton in St. Louis was excellent. From the minute I stepped out of the vehicle when I arrived, I was treated like I had been expected. Everyone was exceptional including the doormen, the front desk attendees, the wait staff, housekeeping and management. Everyone I encountered was pleasant, focused on my needs, knowledgeable, friendly and service-oriented.The facility is well-kept and it is clear that they pay close attention to the details. The bed was comfortable, the down pillows were plush, and they even have full-sized ceramic hair dryers in the rooms. The only downside was that the business center is very small and you have to pay to use the Internet after the first five minutes. Overall, they still get an excellent rating from me.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I have stayed at this Ritz many times over the years. I was pleased to see the guest rooms have been updated. I found te bed very comfortable. The hallway on my floor was updated a bit as well. The classic lobby remains unchanged but it's a lovely space. Down sides are fee for Internet and no clear recycling program. Service is attentive as you would expect. Expensive but it is a Ritz after all!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 15, 2012

A friend and I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton for two nights on a trip to celebrate our birthdays. I was mostly happy with the Ritz-Carlton--especially the cupcake they brought to the room for my birthday! It was a very attractive and tasty cupcake. I do not stay in Ritz-Carltons very often--this was my first time. The service was impeccable, but the part of me that is used to doing things on my own found it a bit intrusive--I can handle my own luggage and park my own car. The staff was wonderful, don't get me wrong, but perhaps I'm just not to the stage in life where I need everything done for me! The room was lovely and well appointed, and I believe all the rooms have a balcony. As we were facing west, I was able to see the sunset and enjoy a nice evening breeze. The lobby bar is great for people watching and has live music regularly. There is also a sushi bar. I did not eat at the hotel, but did enjoy some fine drinks. There is a nice little coffeeshop down the street we at instead, called Kaldi's. There are plenty of restaurants and boutiques within walking distance, all expensive. It is also easy to get to other St. Louis neighborhoods by driving or taking the Metrolink which is right by the hotel. The valet was very quick--quicker than other valets I have been forced to use, so in the end I was happy with the valet parking. The neighborhood is very upscale and might seem a bit stuffy to some. My room had a refrigerator, a mini-bar, and a nice entertainment set up (which I didn't use, but it was quite nice). Beds were very comfortable. I'm sure most people will enjoy a stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 8, 2012

What you would expect from a Ritz-Carlton - nice spacious rooms and terrific service. The hotel lobby/bar area could use a bit of updating and while the beds were comfortable, the pillows were not. Will definitely stay there again, but would be nice if they up their game a bit to the high standards that I've come to expect from their other properties.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Clayton as part of a Weekend To Remember marriage conference and getaway. We found the hotel to be comfortable and classy, the staff to be attentive and helpful without getting in the way, and the overall experience to be exactly what we were looking for - relaxing and invigorating.

Location:
The hotel is located near the eastern end of the Clayton business district in an upscale part of town. We drove to the hotel and used the valet parking service, but we rarely needed to drive. Many restaurants and shops are available within walking distance along Carondolet and Forsyth. Our favorite breakfast hang out was Kaldi's coffee - just a short one block walk up Carandolet plaza from the hotel.

Service:
The hotel service was tasteful and impeccable. Upon arrival, the valet removed our luggage from the trunk, handed everything off to a bellman, and parked our car with courteous, quick efficiency. Check in was a breeze, and the bellman took our things up, arranged our room, and gave us quite a bit of advice about nearby attractions and hotel amenities on the way. Getting the car was easy as well - we simply called from our room, and the valet service had it ready promptly by the time we made it down to the lobby.

The room:
We were in a deluxe room with a king bed, looking towards the west. The room was well appointed, with marble everywhere in the bathroom, rich wood furniture, and silver appointments throughout. Overall decor felt classy, but a little tired. Some of the wood around the door and the door knob showed signs of wear, but it did not detract from our stay. The bed was very comfortable, with more than enough pillows. The desk was also comfortable, with two chairs available, and some nice touches tucked into the desk drawer - stationery, a sewing kit, shoe polish, and a shoe horn. The TV was nothing remarkable, but it was a high-quality flat screen model that was large enough to watch from the bed, easy chair, or desk. The TV was on a swivel stand typical of hotels.

I was somewhat disappointed to find that the Ritz Carlton does not have refrigerators or microwaves in the room. This is something I take for granted, as it is a standard fixture of many business hotels I've stayed in, including Marriott and Hilton hotels.

The bathroom was spacious, with lots of little touches of elegance. The soaps and toiletries provided were top notch, and there were plenty of towels available, along with a robe. The shower was luxurious with a large shower head and all glass shower door. The commode was in a separate room within the bathroom, separated by a louvered door.

Food:
We did not eat in the hotel itself, because we can't stand the exorbitant prices that most hotels charge. The Ritz does not appear to be an exception to the rule. We did notice they have a sushi bar in the lobby in the evenings, and they had live music playing in the lobby on Friday night. Although for the cost of one room-service breakfast, my wife and I were both able to eat a filling and delicious breakfast at Kaldi's coffee just up the street. In each room, there is also an "honor bar" with more exorbitantly priced food, drink, and alcohol. ($5 small can of Pringles chips anyone?).

Common areas:
The common areas, including the lobby, conference rooms, and halls had a very dated appearance. Carpets, and walls seemed to be a bit faded and worn, although things appeared to be of high quality and well maintained. Dark wood paneling throughout the lobby and in the elevators was nice, but the seats in the lobby, and the paint and doors in the halls just felt rather old. Nothing was dirty or dysfunctional, but it just took a bit of the shine off an otherwise excellent stay.

In conclusion, I'd recommend this hotel for a business trip or a romantic getaway. It was pleasant and comfortable, but not overwhelming or awe-inspiring. I feel that we got our money's worth, but I don't know if I would recommend it at full price (we booked our reservation at a conference rate).

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MOTraveler175
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
Four Seasons Hotel St. Louis
#12 of 123 in Saint Louis
Marriott St. Louis Grand
Marriott St. Louis Grand
#25 of 123 in Saint Louis

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis? Share your experiences!