“Good reliable Ritz”

The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I have stayed at this Ritz many times over the years. I was pleased to see the guest rooms have been updated. I found te bed very comfortable. The hallway on my floor was updated a bit as well. The classic lobby remains unchanged but it's a lovely space. Down sides are fee for Internet and no clear recycling program. Service is attentive as you would expect. Expensive but it is a Ritz after all!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 15, 2012

A friend and I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton for two nights on a trip to celebrate our birthdays. I was mostly happy with the Ritz-Carlton--especially the cupcake they brought to the room for my birthday! It was a very attractive and tasty cupcake. I do not stay in Ritz-Carltons very often--this was my first time. The service was impeccable, but the part of me that is used to doing things on my own found it a bit intrusive--I can handle my own luggage and park my own car. The staff was wonderful, don't get me wrong, but perhaps I'm just not to the stage in life where I need everything done for me! The room was lovely and well appointed, and I believe all the rooms have a balcony. As we were facing west, I was able to see the sunset and enjoy a nice evening breeze. The lobby bar is great for people watching and has live music regularly. There is also a sushi bar. I did not eat at the hotel, but did enjoy some fine drinks. There is a nice little coffeeshop down the street we at instead, called Kaldi's. There are plenty of restaurants and boutiques within walking distance, all expensive. It is also easy to get to other St. Louis neighborhoods by driving or taking the Metrolink which is right by the hotel. The valet was very quick--quicker than other valets I have been forced to use, so in the end I was happy with the valet parking. The neighborhood is very upscale and might seem a bit stuffy to some. My room had a refrigerator, a mini-bar, and a nice entertainment set up (which I didn't use, but it was quite nice). Beds were very comfortable. I'm sure most people will enjoy a stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 8, 2012

What you would expect from a Ritz-Carlton - nice spacious rooms and terrific service. The hotel lobby/bar area could use a bit of updating and while the beds were comfortable, the pillows were not. Will definitely stay there again, but would be nice if they up their game a bit to the high standards that I've come to expect from their other properties.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Clayton as part of a Weekend To Remember marriage conference and getaway. We found the hotel to be comfortable and classy, the staff to be attentive and helpful without getting in the way, and the overall experience to be exactly what we were looking for - relaxing and invigorating.

Location:
The hotel is located near the eastern end of the Clayton business district in an upscale part of town. We drove to the hotel and used the valet parking service, but we rarely needed to drive. Many restaurants and shops are available within walking distance along Carondolet and Forsyth. Our favorite breakfast hang out was Kaldi's coffee - just a short one block walk up Carandolet plaza from the hotel.

Service:
The hotel service was tasteful and impeccable. Upon arrival, the valet removed our luggage from the trunk, handed everything off to a bellman, and parked our car with courteous, quick efficiency. Check in was a breeze, and the bellman took our things up, arranged our room, and gave us quite a bit of advice about nearby attractions and hotel amenities on the way. Getting the car was easy as well - we simply called from our room, and the valet service had it ready promptly by the time we made it down to the lobby.

The room:
We were in a deluxe room with a king bed, looking towards the west. The room was well appointed, with marble everywhere in the bathroom, rich wood furniture, and silver appointments throughout. Overall decor felt classy, but a little tired. Some of the wood around the door and the door knob showed signs of wear, but it did not detract from our stay. The bed was very comfortable, with more than enough pillows. The desk was also comfortable, with two chairs available, and some nice touches tucked into the desk drawer - stationery, a sewing kit, shoe polish, and a shoe horn. The TV was nothing remarkable, but it was a high-quality flat screen model that was large enough to watch from the bed, easy chair, or desk. The TV was on a swivel stand typical of hotels.

I was somewhat disappointed to find that the Ritz Carlton does not have refrigerators or microwaves in the room. This is something I take for granted, as it is a standard fixture of many business hotels I've stayed in, including Marriott and Hilton hotels.

The bathroom was spacious, with lots of little touches of elegance. The soaps and toiletries provided were top notch, and there were plenty of towels available, along with a robe. The shower was luxurious with a large shower head and all glass shower door. The commode was in a separate room within the bathroom, separated by a louvered door.

Food:
We did not eat in the hotel itself, because we can't stand the exorbitant prices that most hotels charge. The Ritz does not appear to be an exception to the rule. We did notice they have a sushi bar in the lobby in the evenings, and they had live music playing in the lobby on Friday night. Although for the cost of one room-service breakfast, my wife and I were both able to eat a filling and delicious breakfast at Kaldi's coffee just up the street. In each room, there is also an "honor bar" with more exorbitantly priced food, drink, and alcohol. ($5 small can of Pringles chips anyone?).

Common areas:
The common areas, including the lobby, conference rooms, and halls had a very dated appearance. Carpets, and walls seemed to be a bit faded and worn, although things appeared to be of high quality and well maintained. Dark wood paneling throughout the lobby and in the elevators was nice, but the seats in the lobby, and the paint and doors in the halls just felt rather old. Nothing was dirty or dysfunctional, but it just took a bit of the shine off an otherwise excellent stay.

In conclusion, I'd recommend this hotel for a business trip or a romantic getaway. It was pleasant and comfortable, but not overwhelming or awe-inspiring. I feel that we got our money's worth, but I don't know if I would recommend it at full price (we booked our reservation at a conference rate).

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MOTraveler175
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Been planning an extended Christmas trip to Saint Louis and wanted to confirm a few things with the front desk and their restaurant but to be only received by frustration and angry employees. I placed 4 calls, three of them forwarded to a machine, and the last jockeyed by an angry desk clerk who put me on hold for 10+ minutes - my time was up, questions never answered. I've stayed at many Ritz properties over the years and expected a level of courtesy and support, maybe those days are gone.

What's that sound you hear? My money going elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Stijl
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Stayed in a one bedroom suite, and it was outstanding. The room was beautifully decorated with a mix of traditional and contemporary furnishings and design. It was a luxury to walk in to the master bathroom and find it loaded with bath towels, hand towels, and having so much space - separate shower, separate bath tub, separate double sink area and the list goes on. The side tables were big and had lots of surface space - most hotels have side tables with limited space and you have to leave other items on another table. I was happy to receive a call from the manager after about two hours, making sure we had what we needed and offering any assistance possible. There were two large screen TV's, and this deep and soft sofa where you could lay down and rest amongst fluffy and stylish pillows. Yes, these are great details when wanting to just lounge.

The food was great, the staff was great, and the location was top notch. One thing that was not so good was the noise level from the lounge area across from the check in area. It seemed like good entertainment, but I had a hard time concentrating from the music, all the people congregating and party atmosphere. I think management would be well served to consider some barriers in order to reduce the noise level and also separate the lounge area from the area where people come in to situate themselves.

All in all though - it lived up to its standards.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 20, 2012

The bones of a Ritz-Carlton are here, but carpets, linens, drapes, wallpaper and upholstered furniture are tired, stained and worn out (especially guest rooms and hallways; lobby looks okay). Service is good. For this price in St. Louis though, I expect a nice, fresh room.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kersti
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
Four Seasons Hotel St. Louis
Magnolia Hotel St. Louis
Magnolia Hotel St. Louis
#10 of 121 in Saint Louis
Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis? Share your experiences!