“You get what you paid for”

The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
Reviewed July 15, 2011

This is a very nice hotel. It is located in Clayton a area where there are lots of resturants shop and older and newer home and buildings around. The hotel pool is small and only three feet in depth. It is good for kids and adults that don't know how to swim. The hot tub is small also, both are indoors which is good if there is bad weather. The hotel does have a sundeck but we did not go out to it, because we don't need a tan. There is some wear on some of the fixures in and out of our room. But its a hotel and things go thru wear and tear. Staff is very nice what you would expect for this class of hotel. If you have the $$$ and want to be within minutes from downtown St. louis this is worth a look.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank IllinoisMailman

Reviewed July 12, 2011

The service at the Ritz Carlton is absolutely fantastic. Since my second visit nearly the entire staff, some of whom I had not met, greet me by name. There is no request too small, from replacing forgotten toiletries, to dinner reservations, to transportation, the Ritz gets service and exceeds even a discriminating traveler's needs. This property is perfectly located if you're doing business in Clayton, everything is within a 10 minute walk. And if you're going to a ball game or downtown, the Metrolink light rail can get you there in about 20 minutes for about $2.00. If you take the Metrolink from the airport, there is a connection, but if you've got just a bag it's a 5 minute walk to the station and a 25 minute ride. A taxi is $30 from the airport. The one issue I have with this Ritz is that it is an older property. While that means large, luxurious marble bathrooms and huge rooms, it can also be hard to find a power outlet. There are none if you're working from the bed and the desk has a few but they're hidden in the paneling and don't fit every type of power adapter. Also, because there is a cigar lounge there is a pretty deep smokey smell throughout the lobby area. Wireless isn't free and parking is about $25 per day so be prepared to pay a bit more for the great service, though truly there's no better place to stay in Clayton if you're looking for a full service hotel. Weekends are usually filled with wedding parties, while the week is packed with business travelers.

Room Tip: Suites end in 01. Concierge floors are 17 and 18. Even numbered rooms face downtown and the arch.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank tiger02trip
Reviewed July 5, 2011

We stay at the Ritz-Carlton St Louis once a year or so. They have a nice package that includes breakfast and parking, making it an affordable treat now and then. The hotel is spotless, and although other reviewers commented on the cigar smoke, we could not detect any. Check-in was painless. The rooms are large! No view from the lower floor we were on, but that's ok. Breakfast was delivered via room service both mornings we were there. I believe the person who delivered the first day was new, as we didn't get the usual room service "service," he just rolled the cart in and left. The next day was the usual service in that the person who delivered moved the chairs around the cart and made sure everything was just right.

If you've never stayed in a Ritz-Carlton, this is a very affordable way to try them out. Our room, with breakfast and valet parking, was $239 plus tax.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Normal Guy
Reviewed June 30, 2011

Lovely classic hotel. Sumtuous lobby. Attentive staff. Classic comfortable rooms. Marble tile bathroom with large tub. Overnight shoe polish. Missed suit butler. Shampoo was detergent.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed June 20, 2011

AMAZING Service! Front Desk was wonderful and warm, Parking attendant was so nice and welcoming, Cigar Bar was very cool and bar tenders knew a lot. They need better Bath Amenities - Very generic product for a Luxury Hotel. I don't travel with liquids anymore so I don't have to check bags, and I count on the hotel to have decent bath products, but these were not good. All Starwood Luxury Collection Hotels have some kind of branded amenities and they're great! Also, location was weird. I thought I was booking downtown St. Louis, but it is far from ... My fault that I didn't pay attention.

Room Tip: Ask for a High Floor Room
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Jrent316
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I travel approximately 30% of a month. Normally I stay at a Marriott. This was my third stay at a Ritz-Carlton. My other two stays were in Denver. My experience was flawless and I had high expectations. This Ritz-Carlton was very disappointing. Check-in was poor. Front desk was fighting with housekeeping and was eager to share her frustration with me. after listening to her argument with other staff I was finally checked in. Bellman accompanied me to my room. When he opened the door he was embarrassed. The room belonged to a couple that was preparing for a romantic evening. I was relocated to "better" room. Better is a relative term but at Ritz-Carlton there is a certain standard that is expected and this hotel really is struggling. The windows were dirty, and some of the staff needs help with customer service. I would not stay at this particular Ritz-Carlton again. Buyer beware.

• Stayed: June 2011
5  Thank jvl3
Reviewed May 2, 2011

I enjoyed my stay here except for one thing - the Cigar Room adjacent to the restaurant. It emitted the horrible stench of cigar smoke into the dining room and lobby. I ate lunch there the day we arrived, but because of the sickening smell I refused to eat there again for either lunch or dinner when the cigar smokers were present. This was just about the most unpleasant thing I have ever encountered in a hotel of this level. I am at a loss to understand why it even exists, when it makes so many guests so terribly uncomfortable.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank MAKay
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
Four Seasons Hotel St. Louis
Magnolia Hotel St. Louis
Magnolia Hotel St. Louis
#11 of 123 in Saint Louis
Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis? Share your experiences!