Clayton Plaza Hotel
$135
Hotels.com
$154
Homewood
Residence Inn St. Louis Galleria(Richmond Heights)
Residence Inn
$160
SpringHill Suites
The Cheshire(Saint Louis)
$135
Moonrise Hotel(Saint Louis)
$229
All reviewshardwood floorswafflesomeletbreakfast buffetclayton plazaexecutive towerfull buffetfree gamest louisrestaurant staffunder constructionseparate showerexercise rooman older hoteldefinitely stay here againforest parklouis area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We had a fantastic time New Year's Eve! We opted for the chicken and beef dinners. The food was hot and very good. The drinks were all premium brand liquor and the didn't skimp! The room was excellent! The breakfast buffet the next day was incredible! We will be there again next year!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Thanks, easterkl! We're so glad you had such a great time at our annual New Year's Eve Party and we're excited to see you next year! Thanks for taking the time to share your wonderful review and we'll see you soon! Happy New Year from us to you!

Reviewed January 4, 2014

The property is a but dated but for the price and the awesome breakfast buffet, it was well worth the stay!

Here comes the bad.... My husband and I had been driving a very long time and were going to continue to drive but felt it was unsafe so when I searched around I found that this hotel had a very good rate and had a reasonable check out of noon. Upon arriving at the front desk at 2:45am I asked if there was anyway that we could be accommodated with a 1:30pm check out (considering that we were checking in so late) and they told me that it would be no problem so we were more than happy to spend the money instead of continue the drive. However, the next morning, at noon, I heard the door open and when I glanced at my husband I seen that he was naked so I jumped up to stop the hotel staff member. She apologized and said that she had called the front desk but they didn't have any late check out info. However, when I called the front desk myself they said that they were away from their phone when the previous staff member had called about our room. She said that there were in fact notes that were plain as day stating that we had until 1:30 to check out. This event could have been avoided had the staff member that came to our room had patience and waited till they got ahold of the front desk. Not the quality service that one would expect for this brand of hotel :(

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank JessicaS_Milwaukee

Jessica, I am so sorry about this. I agree that this could have been avoided and I sincerely apologize. This is definitely an opportunity for improvement for our communications and I will be sure to share this with my management team. I thank you for staying with us and I hope you will come see us again - if you do, please call me at the hotel directly and let me know! I will make sure you are properly accommodated. Our direct number is (314)726-5400.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

This older property still offers a nicely appointed room, comfortable bed and quiet surrounds. The imitation hardwood floors throughout the room was different and didn't work for me in winter! Carpet definitely preferred! Shower was great however which was a bonus! Had two fill in nights in STL so decided to stay here. Doubt I'll be back however.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Ash B

Thank you for your valuable feedback, Ash! I'm glad that you found the room to be well-appointed. I am sorry, however, to hear that you would have preferred carpeting. We have transitioned our floors to the hardwood as we have found their cleanliness and hypo-allergenic properties quite beneficial to our guests. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience I thank you for staying with us. I do hope that you will come back and stay with us next time you're in our area.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Do to too many family members coming in town for the holidays, we volunteered to stay in a hotel, versus with my mother several blocks away. We checked into the Crowne Plaza with eyes wide open, due to some of the previous reviews. Seriously? Two years ago we stayed at the Homewood Suites about a mile away, and for my clan, we preferred the Crowne Plaza hands down.

My family of 5 stayed in 2 rooms. While some people may want a new hotel, I knew this hotel as the "Clayton Inn", some 30 years ago. I appreciate that this is an older building, and updates are being made daily. Our rooms were updated and right across from each other. They also have adjoining rooms, which is also great for families. We usually pick a suite hotel for my man-size teenage boys, but it was cheaper to stay at the Crowne Plaza in 2 rooms, versus some other suite hotels, plus this way, each boy got their own bed. The bonus also was the Crowne Plaza does not overlook the highway, as the suite hotels do!

Check in was lovely- the person at the front desk gave us vouchers for breakfast, instructions for parking, and was quite friendly. The friendliness of the staff was a common theme throughout our 6 night stay- from the housekeeping staff to the staff in the restaurant- we were always welcomed and checked on frequently to make sure all our needs were being met. We even were greeted by the owner of the hotel on the first day at breakfast.

Parking was a breeze, and initially the buildings may seem confusing- perhaps a map of the complex at check-in would be helpful. But it was easy to learn the lay out. My people daily used the work out room, and enjoyed the pool area as well as the free "old-time" video arcade. The pool was warm and would be perfect for families with younger children, as the shallow end is quite shallow. The work out room had cardio equipment (treadmills, bikes, elliptical), as well as free weights, and some circuit machines.

The rooms has been renovated, with a microwave, coffee maker, and refrigerator. I particularly liked the wood floor, as some hotel carpets are just nasty. The desk had a power strip, and the headboards for the beds also had power strips to plug in multiple electronic devices. There was a safe in the room, as well as in iron/ironing board, and hairdryer. The beds were quite comfortable. The bathrooms had been re-tiled in marble- a nice touch. The best part was I could not hear the people above, below, or to either side of me! The rooms also had quiet heating units with wall controls.

Breakfast was definitely a highlight for my people. There was a chef standing ready to make waffles, eggs, and omelets. There was juice, coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. And the buffet was always well stocked with oatmeal, cereals, biscuits, gravy, two kinds of meat, eggs, hashbrowns, french toast, pancakes, doughnuts, english muffins, etc.......The only thing I would change is better coffee creamer (flavored) and a larger variety of fresh fruit, but that is a little picky. Breakfast was served in the the restaurant, which is street level, and also serves the business people in Clayton. Families would come down in their sleep pants and were served; I understand people wanting to feel at home, but really?

Location-wise, I do not understand why you would go anywhere else. Washington University is less than 2 miles away, and a straight easy commute. The airport and downtown are 15 minutes, as well as west county. While we ate at my mother's house for dinner, Imo's is a block away, as well as several fast food and sit down restaurants. There were a number of families I saw throughout our stay- I hope they found the hotel as accommodating as we did. I will have a hard time staying with family in the future, as this was quite an enjoyable experience!

Room Tip: We stayed in the same tower as the workout room- the pool is a hike, but we had a great view, and it was very quiet!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank texboymom
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Thank you so much for the wonderful review @texboymom! We were so happy to be involved with your holidays and it makes us so happy to know that you decided to stay with us! We do try very hard to offer the best value in our area and I thank you for mentioning each and every value in your candid review. I couldn't have said things better myself! We're glad you enjoyed the breakfast among everything else and I hope you will return to us next time you're in St. Louis! If you do, please stop by and introduce yourself! Thank you for choosing us and we'll see you next time! Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Visited here for a wedding that was held off site. The bride had booked a large block of rooms at this hotel for guests. The front entry way was pretty and that's the best I can say about this hotel other than the restaurant for breakfast...they do a great job serving a delicious, economically priced b'fast buffet. The rooms are in need of a refurbishment, I saw a couple of them and was very disappointed. I'm loyal to another hotel chain and appreciate that there are no surprises when I Iravel. A plus: It was within walking distance to the train, so we took it into St. Louis to visit the Arch.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mtnestr
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2013

Thank you for your valuable feedback, mtnestr! We appreciate the time you took to share your experience and your comments will be used to help us in the future. Our entire property is under renovations at the moment and I do mean everything - from the elevators to the carpeting in the hallway, it's under construction. I know you are loyal to Marriott, but I do hope that in the future, you might return to us and witness the work we are putting into our hotel. Thank you again and Happy Holidays!