“Great stay at the Crowne Plaza”

Clayton Plaza Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
Reviewed August 10, 2008

We just traveled cross country with our dog and it was not always easy to find a place with a pet friendly policy. We stopped in St-Louis simply because it was convenient. But surprisingly, it was at the Crowne Plaza that she was treated best. It was not only a great stay for us, but for our dog too. A lot of so called "pet friendly" places are more like "pet tolerant". At the crowne plaza they truly love dogs. The staff was great and let her stay in our room when we went out, offering to check on her if she was lonely. There is no extra fee for dogs and they can walk around where they want. There is also a nice patch of grass right out front. And the owner is planning on leaving all his money to the humane society!

The hotel was very nice with a great indoor/outdoor pool, spacious rooms with great beds, and a well stocked fitness center. The restaurant downstairs has 25 big screen tvs which play many different baseball games, and the food is reasonably priced for an upscale hotel. The staff is very nice and helpful and there are great restaurants nearby. It is also an easy drive to Forest Park. The hotel has just gone through a big renovation so perhaps the unhappy customers attended before this? All I can say is that it was an extremely pleasant experience which made me want to go back to St-Louis! Anyone with pets should seriously consider it. Plus the large flatscreen tv in the room is always nice!

• Stayed: July 2008

Reviewed July 15, 2008

I've stayed at this hotel numerous times because the rates are reasonable. The trick to this place is to tell the hotel staff if you are unhappy. I've checked in and been taken to the old section with the dingy old rooms. Once in the room, I phone the front desk and tell let them there is an odor or something wrong. The hotel staff immediately transferred me to a much nicer newly updated room.

The hotel layout is convoluted and the parking garage is weird, but for the money I can put up with it.

• Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed June 23, 2008

I am usually confident that a Crowne Plaza hotel will be a pretty safe bet and my stay will be a little better than a Marriott Courtyard.

But this hotel in Clayton is an exception. While I didn't have problems with my room being dirty, it was very small. dingy, and depressing. The hotel was very old and tired, altho my room did have a nice LG plasma TV.

But the free wireless didn't work for 24 hours. The business center charged an initial $50 or $99 to do any printing or copying. Supposedly the 3rd party provider would refund any unused amounts above several dollars, but who wants to deal with that to make 20 copies? And the hotel staff was clueless on how this all worked.

The soda machine didn't take dollar bills, and the gift/concession shop had limited hours. The fitness center was small but had top-of-the-line equipment.

The location is pretty good in that it is a few long blocks to the Metro and a few short blocks to Starbucks, St Louis Bread Company (Panera), and numerous restaurants. The hotel provides a free airport shuttle.

All-in-all, I was very glad to leave the hotel and in fact left a day early and checked into the downtown Hilton instead.

• Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed June 13, 2008

The room was disgusting! Stained sheets, hair in the bathroom, a smudge on the carpet that could have been mud.
The air conditioner didn't work, it was either 58 degrees or 80 degrees.
The entire hotel is shabby and out of date and the parking is very strange.
I would absolutely not stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed February 20, 2008

I have traveled and stayed in many hotels but the service and professionalism that was experienced at this hotel was above and beyond. Upon my arrival I was greeted by smiles and hellos and it seemed as though everyone just wanted me to smile back at them. I took the liberty of checking the hotel out before my arrival on their website and I was not disappointed at all! The Restaurant was fabulous - couldn’t watch all 25 TV’s at once though and the amount of food is incredible.

The hotel is conveniently located to my company office and even though I was right around the block I was offered a ride by the Bellstand because it was going to rain.

The rooms were clean, the beds were so comfortable. I loved the eye mask, ear plugs and lavender spray!

All in all, the hotel was great and I will definitely stay there again when traveling for business.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed February 18, 2008

I have to say, architecturally its a weird hotel. The layout is cavernous in places, and cramped in others, and its really like the architect designed the place to be a little confusing.

We stayed in one of the renovated rooms. It was pretty nice, the bed was very comfortable-- and for the priceline price of about $70 a night with taxes and fees, I couldn't beat the value. The staff was pretty helpful, and if anything I have the feeling the place is overall understaffed.

But there are some shortcomings.

The heated pool is underconstruction, and needs a cleaning. We were enticed by it as advertised but did not go in because the water just looked kind of cloudy, ick!

DO NOT STAY in one of the smoking rooms, or that entire area if you are a non-smoker. The smoking area is near the pool, and the whole realm reeks of cigarette smoke.

DO NOT go for VALET PARKING if you expect to want your car back often. It took almost 45 minutes to get our car back when we went to go get it.

For conferences, it does look like they did a good job on the conference room areas, those looked pretty and clean. You could have a reception here too.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2008

I booked on Priceline--let me say that right out of the gate. My first impression, when opening the door to my room, was that all of the rooms like mine were reserved for people who pay a discount. The other rooms--the ones that the hotel had renovated--must have been reserved for people paying full price. After visiting Trip Advisor, I wonder....

My room was disgusting. Not only was it small, but the furniture was falling apart, the door frames were visibly rusting, the carpet was filthy, the chair stained, the bathroom dated with counter tops covered in hair (from shaving), toothpaste and soap scum. The shower was even worse. The bed looked nice, but I wasn't fooled. I doubted that the sheets had even been changed with the last 5 guests.

I promptly called the front desk and requested a new room. They obliged (so easily that it seemed they expected it) and I lugged ALL my luggage (for me, my wife, my three year old, and my four-month old) to another room, only to see it was the same story.

I immediately returned to the front desk and checked out.

This hotel almost ruined my entire vacation. To find a room for the next three nights, I had to pay twice as much as my Priceline rate to stay 15 miles out of town. Luckily, that hotel (a Drury Inn and Suites) was PERFECT and saved the day.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
The Cheshire
#44 of 121 in Saint Louis
Downtown
Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark
The Parkway Hotel
#31 of 121 in Saint Louis

Been to Clayton Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!