“Average hotel with a good location”

Clayton Plaza Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
Reviewed October 17, 2013

The Crowne Clayton is an older hotel in need of a refresh. It has a good location in Clayton and is well situated but misses the mark on comfort and aesthetic appeal. The rooms are pieced together in a manner that is functional but blends old and new and has a feel that is more dorm room than hotel room. While this was disappointing the service, cleanliness, quality of the personal products and free wifi was a benefit. Certainly not awful but there are better choices at the same price point in the area.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

Thank you for your review, David! We are glad to have you with us and I'm glad that you enjoyed the amenities and service from our staff, but I'm sorry you didn't think as highly of the aesthetics. I certainly understand, but I think this is more related to the carpeting throughout the hallways and corridors instead of the actual hotel rooms - and believe me, we are on top of that. We are just waiting for business to slow before replacing it. Hopefully our value will bring you back to us again in a few months and you'll be able to see the revitalized look once that project is complete. We thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to have you back again! Thank you for your feedback!

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Check in was fabulous, the front desk clerk was awesome then I went to my room. Nice accomodations, comfortable bed, temperature was appropriate, but the floors are all wood laminate. No rug in site. They did not feel clean to me and when I used the shower I saw how filthy my feet were I was rather disgusted.

I had a meeting that evening and came back to the hotel famished. I was told the restaurant was open until 10:30, so when I walked in at 9:30 I didn't expect to get the hostility I was met with. I sat for about 5 minutes before the bartender came over to give me a menu. When I asked for a wine list I was told that they were closing in 30 minutes and she wasn't sure if I would have time enough to drink the wine (I was very confused). I ordered a call drink instead and asked what time the restaurant closed (please keep in mind room service was available until 11pm) and was told that they kitchen closed at 10, so I would need to order something simple.

OK, not very cool but at that time was chalking it up to perhaps she had a bad day. Lo and behold, another employee began to vacuum the floor. The other patrons with whom I was sitting next to and I looked at each other. After a while, we began speaking over each other about how annoying the sound was. Thank goodness it stopped, or so we thought. Than began the drunken employee who was sitting on another side of the bar discussing wages... I was floored.

I then requested to get my check and leave. After signing the check I left a 9% tip and began walking out only to be chased down by the bartender accusing me of not paying for my meal. After standing there with the manager she finally found my signed bill. I was livid.

The light in this was when I called to complain the night manager was very apologetic and kind. She explained that the restaurant had a different management company and comped my meal. I was not expecting a comped meal, but very appreciative. I was disappointed that the restaurant staff will more than likely not suffer any type of consequence.

The carpet in the halls is very old. I was greeted to the housekeeping closet each time I came out of my room. It was generally full with roll out beds and dishes from room service. At times there were large garbage bags and piles of towels on the floor..

I travel quite a bit and have stayed at many Crowne Plaza hotels through the years. This one had a great location, and fabulous hotel staff; but the no carpet was gross to me, the housekeeping closet was unacceptable (as I was staying at their full rate, no third party booking and an IHD member) and the restaurant. Worst service at their restaurant ever..

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Well this certainly is an “interesting” review and I do apologize for the encounters you have described. I will most definitely look further into this and address with the Plaza Grill team. I thank you for the compliments to the hotel staff and will make sure they are commended for their service. I hear you on the carpet and as I tell other travelers, we already have the carpet in our possession – we are just waiting for the right time to install it. We are just too busy right now and we can’t do much with it while the hotel is booked up because we don’t want to disturb our guests, but yes – we are aware. Thank you so much for staying with us and we wish you happy and safe travels ahead!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I was extremely impressed with the hotel. I am a St. Louis native and was back for a family wedding. I don't usually stay in hotels in the area since I stay with family, but this time I wanted to treat myself to something different and this is where the wedding guests were staying. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The hotel is located in a great location.. Clayton has great restaurants and is central to most sight seeing locations. My room included breakfast and to my surprise while eating, I noticed an older gentleman going from table to table. i just figured he was friendly. Not only was he friendly, but he was the owner of the hotel and was making sure everyone was happy with their stay. I don't think I have ever met ab owner of a hotel I was staying at. He was so interesting and we must have talked for 20 minutes. I would stay here again if I ever have the opportunity.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thank you, leek_y0! I'm so glad you had a good time at the wedding and had the opportunity to meet with our owner - I love when he goes in there during breakfast and this really does represent our commitment to our guest's satisfaction! It is so nice to know you will be coming back if you ever find yourself in St. Louis and we can't wait to have you back. Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share - we greatly appreciate it!

Reviewed October 11, 2013

My wife and I both suffer from PTSD. We were visiting family in the St. Louis area and chose the Crown Plaza simply due to its location. To make a long story short; we planned two nights, but, after the first night in a room that was near noises that set off our ptsd,we were going to find another hotel. At breakfast( which was wonderful!) a gentleman approached our seating to ask how are stay was. It was the owner! We shared our story. He upgraded us to a suite and went way beyond anything any guest would request - which we did not! We did stay the second night and cannot say enough about how ALL the staff treated the guests ( I am a people watcher and notice interactions). Thank you to the owner and his staff. To him I say: "Opa!!"

Room Tip: the suites are worth the extra money!!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dave Kyle H
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Thank you, Dave! I'm so happy that you were able to meet our owner and had such a wonderful experience. That really makes me feel good and I love hearing about guest's interactions with him - he's a great person and we're all proud to work for him. We're glad you enjoyed your suite and we hope to have you back next time you're in the area. We thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience!

Reviewed October 10, 2013

I stayed at the Crown Plaza in Clayton for three nights in October to attend a Washington University conference. Most of the conference was held in the hotel meeting rooms which were perfect for our event - clean, comfortable chairs, good sound, drinks, etc. All the little things that make an event like that go smoothly, including friendly staff. I always need a sweater to stay warm in meeting rooms with air conditioning, and this was no exception. Most others seemed comfortable without one. Getting a great free breakfast in a restaurant setting started each day on the right foot.
A really think this hotel is a hidden gem. The rooms have much more character than the typical hotel room in this price range. A big flat screen TV, a good shower, a mini-refrigerator (for my health drinks) along with a comfortable mattress and pillow are all I need to feel at home. I had them all. I used the workout facilities and the swimming pool only once, but enjoyed walking around Clayton with friends each evening to check out restaurants and local bars. We always felt safe and never missed not having a car. Some in our group took the Metrolink (train) to the arch and had a good time. One of the most popular dining places in St. Louis, J Buck's, is literally a stone's throw from the hotel entrance.
We were a part of a group of about 70 people, and honestly I did not hear one compliant from any of my colleagues. I understand why Washington University uses this hotel for their most important events and guests.

Room Tip: I saw two other rooms (friends) and they were just like mine, so I don't think you can go wrong.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Wow! So many thanks from our entire staff for your wonderful review, FrProf01! We are so pleased to know you enjoyed your stay and took the time to share with our community! We're so glad your meeting was a success and that you found our staff to be friendly. Clayton is a great area, isnt it? There is so much nearby within walking distance so you don't even really need a car to go out and get a good dinner - and even if you wanted to go downtown, the MetroLink is the way to go! It was our pleasure to have you and I hope you'll return to your "hidden gem" next time your travels bring you to St. Louis! Again, thank you on behalf of everyone for staying with us - we'll see you next time!

Reviewed October 10, 2013

On a trip to visit Washington University we stayed in a lovely and well appointed room - Beds, and Pillows very comfy. Beds are tall making it a challenge and hard to get into for a 5'2'' lady - needed a footstool to push up on.
Staff friendly and accommodating. Wi -fi service strong..
But the roomy bathrooms floors were shiny - slippery when wet - tile. The shower had a hand held shower device in addition to the main shower on the wall - which was lovely, but no way to stow it except to allow to go to floor. Shower floor slippery and no rubber mats - nor any safety bars available. No mats available stated by house keeping. Unfortunately, I had left my portable safety grip at home.
Toilets were noisy - think it was a power assist type with a big swoosh sound - and very low to the ground. There were no assist bars, and there was no where to put them for use - as toilet stood alone in center of bathroom. Could attach to floor I suppose.
Breakfast buffet was excellent. There were ramps for handicapped access all over lobby.
Great location and facility, but challenges for seniors. Perhaps other rooms would have been more suitable.

Room Tip: We were in the Executive suites with two queen beds. Quiet. Could open windows for fresh night ai...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your kind words and we are so glad to know that you enjoyed your stay, but I do want you to know that it is often standard in most hotels these days to have an accessible room option, and that means more than just having wheelchair access. Accessible rooms often have the grab bars that you mentioned and this might be a viable option for you in the future - just ask during your booking process for these rooms, no matter where you travel to. We thank you so much for staying with us and I hope we will be your choice next time you're in our neighborhood!

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Friendly staff, especially Fred the shuttle driver and the two gentlemen at the concierge desk on Sunday morning. Room was clean, great omelets to order and convenient location just a few blocks from the MetroLink platform. And...a window I could actually open to enjoy some cool midwest night air. Great property, great staff!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Clayton Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Thanks, Eric, for your 5-star review and recommendation! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and I will personally thank Fred for taking such good care of you during your stay. We're glad you enjoyed your accommodations and the breakfast in the morning - we look forward to seeing you again next time. Thank you for staying with us and we'll see you soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
The Cheshire
#45 of 122 in Saint Louis
Downtown
Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark
Seven Gables Inn
#4 of 5 in Clayton

Been to Clayton Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!